2.24 Release

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Mashav, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

Change log: Make a comprehensive list of changes or a link to where we can find them. Things included should be weapon stat change, Research changes, vehicle stats etc. Any information that could influence what a player might choose.

Release time: Release earlier in the day and/or announce beforehand that "We will try and release the next version on [Day] at [Time]" on the main page or forums.

Dev blogs: Announce any major changes beforehand. Just a definite "This will be in the next patch. We are doing this because..." Or if something is meant to be a surprise then explain the reason shortly after release on the Dev blogs. This would only be required for Large additions or subtractions from Empires (MkII-esqe things).

After update report: State how the Devs feel about how the changes have been implemented. Also state what might be next in development.

Pros
    • More information right away to know what has changed
    • Increased knowledge in the community as to what and why the devs changed something
    • More populated servers right after a release
    Cons
    • More work for you (devs)
    • People may begin to RAGE! before an update even comes out

2. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

move this to pros

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Pick some lucky guy from the community to write it if your guys are too lazy
    (not me I got stuff to do)

4. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Yeah...That's something worth considering.
    Yes please!
    For sure!
    I don't mean to be rude, but 'Ya think?'.
    Yep. In fact, I think that might have happened right before 2.22.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The main con is that this would not only create more work, but (as a consequence) slow down 2.24 while all this information is compiled... and, honestly, while I don't hate 2.23 as much as some people, I think we can all agree that getting 2.24 out quickly is the most important thing.

Heck, I can compile a list of differences by using 'diff' on the directories like I did before, if you want. Or someone else can, it's not that hard. It's better than wasting valuable developer-time, at least.

6. TheFoo

TheFoo Member

Wow! What a great guy to volunteer to update the wiki at release with a new versions page showing updates. We need more like you! :|ove:

I think part of it however is the devs giving us an idea of what they have in mind, or the direction they are going so we have *some* idea what the heck is going on overall.

7. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

its almost better for us to be kept in the dark. because there will always be people who hate change and complain about everything, even if it is for the better. this may discourage devs, and then we will all die. we may fall into the situation where the changes try to please everyone, but that is impossible, even if it was that you got paid to play Empires, people would oppose it because it would make Krenzo and all other money souses bankrupt. though it is against my thirst for knowing what will happen before it happens, I still believe that it will hurt the community in the end. (I do think that release date would be nice, and an occasional secret leak into the forums now and then to keep us entertained would be nice though)

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

^From the dev blogs.

Go pm dizzy for tester forums access, update the SVN and play the latest revision.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

on the other hand, it might prevent things from happening when everyone agrees they are silly ideas

like the bio tree nerf

and the global armor buff

and buffing the carbine

and increasing the research time on DU

and mark II light tanks

is that enough or shall we continue?

10. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I'm actually a fan of posting the changelog before the release.

It not only gives players a nice heads up, but it also keeps the dev team accountable. It's essential a sheet that tells us what to expect, and if the devs fail at reaching their goal then we can say "you promised".

If anything, it makes sure all the goals have been met, creating a much more complete package on release.

11. flounder

flounder Member

I agree with the OP. I hate how some people know what weapons and techs have been buffed and nerfed while momst other people don't. If voice chat didn't exist I'd never know about half the changes in this game.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Unfortunately, not all our goals can always be met. There will always be features that had to be left out due to time constraints, even if that one guy promised you that it was sure to be in. The only valid reason why the changelog would be posted before release would be your first reason. The second would only cause a lot of grief and delays.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about a developer wish list that gets updated weekly on what the devs want to put in next version?

1 person could be selected to fill it in every time, if its changed a week before release or a day before then so be it

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It would be nice to get something similar to this (from the Insurgency forums) about planned features. At a minimum it would give the community insight into what the devs are thinking/planning. I like MKII's, but I think they surprised a lot of us because there wasn't much discussion/indication that the idea was being considered.

Also, having planned features doesn't mean you have to implement all of them. But a general framework of the type of gameplay the devs plan to implement would be greatly appreciated.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

eta till 2.24 i mean i thought it was planed to be released last weekend

16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Isn't that what the DevBlog is for?

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

To some extent yes, but the DevBlog doesn't really layout what features/fixes are being planned for the next update. The list doesn't have to be set in stone, but it would nice to see something like

• New AFV model
    • Vehicle Balance
    • New Damage Resists
    • etc. etc.