2.24 ... ... ... 2.25

Discussion in 'General' started by CobaltBlue, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Agreed.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You do know that the whole point of the script manifest is to make it easier to balance the mod and, therefore, increase the player base? The mod already splits every time a new version is released (look at 2.12->2.2x), this just makes it easier to find a script set that has the greatest community support.

Edit: Also, we are pretty much done to only the core Empires supporters that are most likely going to stick with the mod regardless of the minor changes. We aren't likely going to drive many people away because Server A has a different script from Server B. Frankly, the two major scripts available right now (Pickles' and Trickster's) are so similar that I have a hard time differentiated between them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Ok since trickster and pickled had no arguement im only going to respond to scardy.

Two major scripts at the minute yes but according to you scardy if it increases the player base, there is going to end up being lots of other scripts on each server. It may start with two but its going to build up according to your logic.

Different scripts are going to confuse the new players and they're going to leave because they don't understand the game.
    This is not good, dividing a small community isn't going to help it grow.

I understand that the current official scripts are bad yes, but why don't we just implement the scripts (tricksters or pickleds for example) that are more liked by the community instead of so many different ones.

EDIT: Pickled you don't understand why we wont see a 2.26 if script manifest is added.

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

you don't have an argument either. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over. In debate circles this is called "begging the question" and it won't win you any support.

5. RKB53

RKB53 Member

My argument carries more value then yours telling me to hang myself.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

no, my argument carries more than yours. you really do need to go hang yourself.

Why don't you make a new thread about this in suggestions. Then we can sticky it in "rejected" and laugh about how much you fail when 2.25 comes out and the script manifest is a huge hit.

7. RKB53

RKB53 Member

You have no argument, all you're trying to instigate is flame.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

ROFL!
    It's still damn funny though! :p

You know you made your point early on RKB - with three redundant posts:
    Ooh you actually had a reason for this one.
    You should know that there's a cut off line between where shouting loudly gets your noticed, and ignored. I hope someone edits this thread to cut down the posts to just where there are arguments, or better yet, split it into it's own thread.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Well I'm for implementing script manifests for 2.25, using it to beta test various scripts to find the best one, and then removing it for the Steamworks release. I'd say your viewpoint would be valid if 2.25 was likely to bring in lots of new players, but I don't think it will because its more bug fixes than new content. Empires needs to get to both a balanced and fun state before any Steamworks release and/or major advertisement, else newbs will quit as quickly as they joined. If you think there is a better way to get there without using script manifests, then please tell us.

10. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Testing scripts should be what the tester svn is used for atm. Its basicaly only used for seeing if a little bits of code works.

11. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

From what I heard, script_manifest wasn't completed before the original developers who worked on it had left, and because the new devs want to push for a march 4th release(empires 4th birthday), script_manifest might not be 100% by that time.

I should also mention, that spawwn wants to add new content via more weapon types/variables/general content, in such a way that it would break the current scripts(2.25). Then there's the problem of changing GUI, research/game mechanics, etc, etc. The way script_manifest as it is right now, would only fix a short term problem, and then broken the next version with new features.

In my opinion, all bullshit aside, I think the scripts need to be more feature heavy, include improved weapon code, and have a lot of additional support than they do now before script_manifest comes out. Otherwise, as soon as we finish testing a new version of scripts, then the next version of empires comes out and breaks them again.

Both sides have their ups and downs, but being as dedicated as I am to Empires, I can wait awhile a longer and see what happens.

12. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

This is not the place to discuss the script manifest, please take that discussion to the proper thread. Lets use this thread to talk about the other features that 2.25 will bring.

13. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

all every interesting points...

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe we should talk about, I don't know, say...actually testing the game, so we don't get another poorly balanced release, and so the devs don't have to rely on open beta field testing.

15. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Agreed on this

16. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

My thoughts on manifest:

Go ahead and implement it ASAP. What we have is about 100 players who probably WILL NOT leave Empires. There's a strong core-group of about 35 players who are more loyal.

What S_M will do:
    Create an environment where the vets can use their extended knowledge to make scripts that balance out game play.
    Allow other players to use said scripts freely and with other people.
    Help Empires find that one thing that is' been lacking; balance.

Now, of course, there's the question of keeping it after 2.25 (or 2.26, depending on the release date of S_M). If it does stay, force a TAG for modified_scripts. What we'll do is make the community's most popular script (the server that has the most players on it, that is using a custom script) the official script, whilst making all other scripts considered, 'modified'.

Kay?

K.

17. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Better yet we could just test scripts on the svn getting people to actualy play so we dont need this stupid manifest

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It's hard organizing times where EVERYONE from DIFFERENT TIME ZONES can get together. Not to mention that not all testers are willing for a group test.

19. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Then they shouldn't be in the tester group.

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

or we could enable the script manifest :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.