2.23 strats

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by CobaltBlue, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Sirex

Sirex Member

Plasma:
    "Heat" "14" //heat added per shot fired (100 total heat added to vehicle puts it in an overheated status).

"Heat To Target" "10" //heat added to target on hit (a small amount of heat is also added to the target based on damage, this is defined within the armor script)

EXRangecannon:

"Heat" "14" //heat added per shot fired (100 total heat added to vehicle puts it in an overheated status).

"Heat To Target" "1" //heat added to target on hit (a small amount of heat is also added to the target based on damage, this is defined within the armor script)

HECannon:

"Heat" "16" //heat added per shot fired (100 total heat added to vehicle puts it in an overheated status).

"Heat To Target" "1.6" //heat added to target on hit (a small amount of heat is also added to the target based on damage, this is defined within the armor script)

2. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

the "point" of plasma is to overheat your enemy, yet it overheats yourself more than you heat your enemy, as well as having such a narrow use (ranged is more versatile, as well as being somewhat unique in the fact that it goes staight/nearly straight, and HE fucking beats the shit out of infantry and turrets)

and on top of that, plasma takes too long and costs too much to research compared to its power

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It overheats you faster than the enemy because it can fire twice as fast, It's also a support weapon. The research issue is being addressed.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. Sirex

Sirex Member

God damn it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

something like this would work much better (and by that, I mean maybe somebody would research it rarely, and at least it wouldn't be ignored completely)

heat to self:
    x

heat to target
    x+1 (maybe just x for the MG, or x+0.5)

6. dizzyone

It used to be like that. Heat was changed during 1.08, and has never been reverted as most people would rather see it dissapear.

7. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

so you're saying that having more than one research path is a bad idea?

god forbid we have a way to stop the INFANTRY IS ALWAYS USELESS NO INFANTRY TANKS ONLY shit

8. dizzyone

I was talking about heat, not plasma.

9. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

well, I was talking about plasma

Where is this topic supposed to go again?

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would rather see heat do damage in extreme quantities then "only" shut your tank down

11. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Plasma CG does 24 heat per second to the target and 16 heat per second to yourself. Plasma cannon has a lessened difference, but can actually do real damage at the same time.

Having the capacity to do both would be broken to an extreme, plasma is only poor now because of the inability of the user to stay in combat and do sustained damage and because it is out of the way of other technology. If it was easy to obtain it would be highly researched and used.

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Then e.g. guided missles and plasma MG would be a deadly combination for NF heavies.
    While you keep your crosshair at the enemy tank for the guided missles, the plasma MG overheats it.

13. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Yes, but NF would need to go plasma for that to work. I have never once in all my games see them go physics, and only once have I seen them go bio.

14. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

When I'm commander sometimes I go for reflective armor when there is enough time in the end game after the standard researchs.

But it is difficult to have it in the early or mid game.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

lol "support weapon" plasma?

so you're saying that only when it's a 2 on 1, i.e, you have support, is it actually useful? because that's just dumb. if you need 2 tanks to make it useful why not have 2 tanks that can just do twice as much damage instead of one tank that does damage and another which makes pretty explosions. and what about when you're on your own with the plasma, or against infantry?

btw, to all you chuckleheads that can't work out the math, plasma gives you about the same heat per shot as HE but fires twice as fast, ergo, you heat up twice as fast.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

Protip: tanks can hold multiple weapons.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

what i don't understand is why HE is the best at everything... it doesn't make any sense.

if you insist on making plasma worthless against infantry it should be better than HE against tanks or something.

also the aqua mist after shooting plasma is a myth. it barely has any splash at all. standard cannons have better splash.

18. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I believe I have already covered this with my post on all related numbers. Plasma has less heat per shot than HE. The Plasma cannon has the best net heat per damage when combating enemy tanks. This means that yes, plasma is quite possibly the best cannon for 1v1 tank fighting, if only marginally.

This advantage rapidly fades in a multi-tank situation where one cannot reliably hit the same target or new targets are cycled quickly. In this position the returns diminish rapidly and it becomes obvious that it yields less damage and runs out of ammo far faster than the other cannons.

At the same time, yes, it is by wide margin the worst anti-infantry cannon.

Again, I will say this. HE is only good because it is reliable and able to do whatever you need. It scales nicely in the frequent multi-tank situations. This is not true of ranged and especially not true of plasma.

19. dizzyone

Your face is dumb. Another rant assuming we're retarded, hey guess what dude, whoever thought of that coded this game, so don't be so quick to judge and call things dumb. One more of these ignorant comments and as far as I'm concerned you can go find a new forum to rage in.

As said before, plasma and general heat has been slightly put out of play until we've implemented the weapon revamp (drag is working on that atm). Plasma used to be the best cannon for 1v1, however also a very lame weapon, most people disliked heat so much that it has been removed up to a point as a weapon.

What good is a tank with firepower when he's overheated? What good are 2 tanks vs 1 tank and a healer? In future releases the cost of weapons will be about half or so of a given customized tank, this would mean that heavy firepower tanks might essentially be more expensive than a tank that play a supportive role. Another plan that I was going to implement was to make a specific chassis for the supportive role of overheating, the plasma apc. There are also other future plans and changes in the research tree that will allow for these supportive roles to become more common.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah I remember one point during the RC's plasma was the rushed weapon of choice. You would could just shut down any tank and they only could of fire off one or two shots. Then you get bio diesel and all you can do is run not shoot back. You were better off on foot even when you had 6000+ res.