[2.21] emp_glycenplains

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, I guess just go ahead and decompile. As I said, I don't have the VMF myself.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont have the bsp either ...

3. Trickster

Download SVN?

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610261/emp_glycenplains_d.zip

Turns out I carelessly deleted the original VMF a few months ago, oh well.

Uploading the VMF is the least I can do, I'm almost certainly not going to be doing anything empires related for a good long while, if ever.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

you hate us??? :verysad:

6. flasche

thank you omneh, you saved me from dling an svn client ;)

7. flasche

meh this only is a decompiled version either. no grouping, no nothing. it would take forever to fix it ...

especially since the original version only needed some vehicle clips. i tried to just compile the version omneh posted but killed the processes after about 3h of vvis calculations. then i had a look at what is visblocking and what not and noticed a full-vis calculation might probably take 3 additional hours+
    func_detailing all the stuff thats built on the map (especially since nothing is grouped thx to the decompile) alone would take a day probably.

well, as much as i think this map looks awesome, im not going to work on it for a week just to be able to put vehicle clips on its borders.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Only VVIS VMPI works, VRAD is broken

10. Trickster

How is VMPI going to help his problem? If it's a Decomp, then it's still going to have problems.

11. flasche

i bet there will be some rainy days and im bored. its really a shame that the map didnt get released, it looks quite cool to me ...

if youd just func_detail every brush there is, cut it in visleaves yourself and add a few visclusters the vvis compile time should drop to a couple of minutes (maybe 5 tops). its almost impossible to add visible visblocking geometry on open world maps anyway.
    as said, if there is a rainy day and im bored ill do it. if someone else is doing it earlier dont hold back.

the displacements could need a bit of work too, but tbh, it already looks better then some empires maps and beauty-only work should be done after it proves itself for a month or two ...

anyway, it was 34°C today and i have no intention whatsoever to map at such temperatures. even now its 31° sigh

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  12. Omneh

Omneh Member

VMPI isn't really worth the time and effort when you can just optimise a map properly instead. Trust me, I would know. :P

It's funny, I said I wouldn't be doing anything empires related for a while and I opened hammer with an empires configuration and dicked about for a bit on one of my old projects the other day, still haven't played the game for more than five minutes in about six months though...

I think I enjoy mapping for empires more than the game itself, which is crazy considering the amount of effort you can put into making an empires map even function. Trickster I think you should fix this somehow, perhaps jetpacks, lasers and mechs are the answer? :rolleyes:

I might take a look at glycenplains again tommorow.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Can I have pogo stick dick? I would choose that over jetpack. As for lasers... its called lvl3 mg.