1.2k build review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fricken Hamster, Nov 26, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

*shrug* a high-quality 450w psu will outperform a low quality 600w psu.

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No doubt about that at all. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling are the two companies I recommend...I love my 610W PCP&C PSU.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

OCZ has decent PSU's as well.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i generally buy earthwatt, and buy a 600 wtt, a good psu is a healthy computer

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've seen Antec PSUs explode. Seriously. I have. I avoid them like the plague. Unsure if they're rated continuous power, but their build quality is questionable. Sparkle, PC Power & Cooling and Corsair PSUs are all made at the same place, and all have extremely high build quality (like...maybe using Japanese capacitors instead of chinese shit?)

Also, most PSUs are not rated at high temps - they're usually rated at 20C or so...and while that may be close to room temperature, the inside of a PSU is usually atound 30C or more. Get one rated at 40C or greater.

I stopped following OCZ, but if they're good I imagine HardOCP will agree with you - they were good in years past and let you tweak the voltage of each rail.

Also: Make sure you buy a PSU with a SINGLE 12V rail. None of this quad rail BS....having more than one 12V rail is a sign of the PSU being ill-designed. With a single rail, you just put all peripherals on any wire you like. With a quad rail, you have to make sure to plug two different rails into your videocards, and then plug your HDs and other peripherals NOT plugged into your videocards. It's a hairy mess.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Exactly.
    Dual-Rail isn't bad though, and most Crossfire setups use them so each card is on its own dedicated rail. Not to mention that the quadfire setups most likely won't have a single 120+A 12v.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

well... yea at least its RoHS materials that will explode...

^^ no i know they can be rather dodgy, i just wanted to state that you need a good psu, but not related; i buy earthwatts because reasons (i can get them cheaply and get tax benefits because they are better for the environment etc)

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what the hell is a pci-e connector

pci-e is the upgraded version of the old graphical card slots pci from before AGP was commonly used

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

6/8pins, Blizz.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i call that a "6/8 pins connector lol

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yes, facepalm at the electrical engineers who designed a highly reliable high amperage switching power supply. They're useless! We don't need any more EE majors! This has no real use for anyone other than gamers! We don't need power supplies for servers...or super computers that are trying to solve problems like cancer...no! Down with electical engineers!

15. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I doubt supercomputers use the same type of PSU we do

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

They use switching power supplies as well. Switching PSUs are some of the more efficient designs; linear supplies, while far more reliable, are not as efficient. Not the same exact power supply as in a PC? No...but in design, very similar.

17. Brutos

Even if you have 4 quad xeons with a tdp of 95W + 32GB ram per blade, you'd still wouldn't get more then 600 watt or 700W. Also a redundant setup is required here.

The highest end tesla system uses 800 watt max and tesla is a very special case and minority thing.

My point is if anyone build a personal gaming rig that uses more then 500W peak, he is already borderline insane.

Even a workstation with two quad xeons, several gigabyte of ram and a firegl or quadro won't use that much peak power. There is no need for such power supplies except in very special and unique cases. Especially not for an end user.
    I stand by my point that everyone who buys an PSU for his gaming rig over 600W is insane. Even having more then 450W is unnecessary in many cases.

18. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

because nobody has problems with underpowered PSUs considering majoirty of people have about 450
    :/

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

An HD5970 has a TDP of 293W. 2x Those is 600W, and if I want to overclock, that's 700W.
    The processor would be an i7 on that system, so 100W, +Mobo has 100W, 2x HDD + 2x DVD = 100W. There's a 1kw system for you.

20. Brutos

None who put just a bit of thought into his rig should have problems with an under powered psu. If you can't think that far, go buy a pc from dell.