1.2k build review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fricken Hamster, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Can't you do that with any card?

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Crossfire is an ATI proprietary technology, so only ATI cards can utilize crossfire.

SLI is the equivalent nvidia technology. I don't know if quad-SLI has been made yet but I've seen tri-SLI out for some time.

crossfire and SLI are somewhat early experimental technologies. Benchmark tests have found some cases where one card out performs two and so forth.

3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Power supply is masivly overpowered 400W or 450W should be enough, 350 should work too. Get a bit more tho. 450W should be enough for two 5770 in crossfire, but crossfire is a bad idea, get a strong GPU now, screw crossfire and sli.

If you can buy the student windows 7 for 50 bucks.

Cpu could be a bit stronger.

Get 8gb cheap ram, none needs brand ram. Bad idea.

4. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Rule number one: crossfire looks good only in benchmarks (so do SLI, not nVidia fanboy).
    I wouldn't get more than 4GB of dual-channel RAM ( i have GEIL RAM, works uber fine, i played empires with warcraft 3 minimalised and didnt even know it)

You may also laught at me, but im not into quadcores processors (I strongly believe there is no real need for that)

Whats with those overpriced cases? i bought mine for something around 35$ and im ;) ^^

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ignore Brutos. He's really dumb.

PSU is just right, and Corsair are awesome.

Fuck buying your OS, just download it like a man. That $300 could be better spent elsewhere.

Brutos is however right about CPU. The system itself, i5 I wouldn't recommend.
    Use the $300 saved on the OS and go up to i7. Way more future-proof.

Also, 4gb is fine, and stick with brands, they're "brands" for a reason, they've produced good shit for a long time. Although having gone back, I've never heard of that "Brand".

Go with Corsair/OCZ/Crucial/Kingston or something. Idk what you get over in America.

6. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

HAHA everyone saying different things :D

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

sli-crossfire is a good way to spend more for less performance

i can see from the suppliers, and forom building quite some pc's in my time

8. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

-Agree on do not have SLI/crossfire
    -Agree on getting no name brand ram... UNLESS you're going to overclock it or something.
    -iffy on PSU. People usually overbuy on that front, but with SLI/crossfire, you may need the extra ommph.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy generic ram. Do you know what "generic" and "house brand" ram is? It's when a brand-name manufacturer fucks up on a large order and decides to resell it without its name on it to cut its losses. If a company isn't willing to put its name behind a product, you shouldn't be willing to buy it either.

10. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I've never had a problem with no name brand ram.

And no, it isn't 'large manufacturer's defects', they couldn't sell that.

Its smaller companies getting in, and yes, they do generally make good products, otherwise they wouldn't sell very many.

11. Brutos

All the ram is build in the same fabs, the brand ram has some pretty stickers and some additional quality testing, but if the ram is broken there is still warranty. I'd buy only non brand name. There is no reason to buy brand ram.

Also you are tared Trickster. There is no reason to have such a big PSU in a pc.

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yes, I've read all about it. Thanks for assuming I'm an idiot. Fermi is meant as a GPGPU, hence the transistor count. The release date is unsure, nvidia is being very cryptic. Their memory is probably holding them back at the moment. Who knows about perf numbers, the 5800 series may beat it, but no one has numbers on Fermi, aside from nvidia. nVidia is really departing from the gaming world here and moving into the more profitable supercomputer realm (gee, can I say that I see signs of PC gaming dying enough times?)

No. It depends on the manufacturer. 450W for most means peak power, not sustained. Get 550W at least for this rig; anything above 600W is going to be overkill for the most part, but when you're foward looking, 750W isn't such a bad idea as it lets you expand pretty easily.

Fuck scumbags who steal software. People get paid to write it - if you steal it, that means that you're not giving the company the money it requires to continue paying people. Buy windows, buy AV software, buy games - etc.

I agree with name brand RAM. The non-name brand can be OK, but it's hit or miss. I swear by Corsair these days; before I got my 12GB corsair set, I had some cheapy Crucial DDR3 that did OK. Yes, most ram comes from Micron or Samsung, but customer service and extra quality standards really help.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Sorry android, I didn't mean to call you an idiot. I was just pointing out that nVidia's next-gen card isn't worth waiting for.

Not to mention there possibly won't be a low-end FERMI. There's a rebranded GT310 out now. That means that there's a possibility of multiple rebranded G200 chips, with Fermi being among the top.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Entirely possible, god knows what nVidia is doing with rebranding these days. Vive le G80! Or something like that.

I totally expect Fermi to be an awesome GPGPU...and be a total flop when it comes to gaming, but I say wait for Fermi, because that will at least drop ATI's prices.

15. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Ok. I'm getting the i5. That is pretty much decided. It is way good for the price. Plus 1366 motherboards are moar expensive than 1156s.

I am going to crossfire 5770's. How is crossfire low performance?
    All I heard is "crossfire only performs good in tests".
    What the fuck do they test the cards on. They test the cards on benchmarks from the actual games which simulates video stress.

the 300 dollars is the OS + the GRAPHICS CARD READ GERBILS.
    The OS is only 110 itself.

There is no way I'm running an i5 + 2 5770s using only a 450W. It should be around 650, but I got a 750 to be safe.

16. Brutos

95W (CPU) + 108W (GPU) + 15W (Motherboard) + 5W (HDD) + 20W (other crap). = 253W

Current PSUs are at 20%, 50% and 80% most efficient. So a good PSU for this rig would be: 350W.
    Code:
    253W/80*100=350W
    Do the math its easy. If you want to do SLI, which is a bad idea which was confirmed several times you have 361W peak:
    Code:
    (253W+108W)/80*100=451W
    an SLI system with two 5770W would be fine with 450W.

Just to be sure it will really be enough you add another 50W although its not really necessary.

Every PSU with an 80+ silver or gold sticker around 350-500W is good enough for your rig.

Use your common sense, why would you want to waste energy.

edit: my calculation has A LOT of extra energy just to be sure. It's possible to make a very good gaming rig that uses less then 200W peak.

edit 2: You should definitely get an HD 5870 if possible. SLI/Crossfire does look good on benchmarks, but in reallity it just wastes power and you have the problem of microlag.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Having worked in the IT industry in the past, I know that large manufacturers can and do sell defective products under house brand names.

Small manufacturers are eager to make a name for themselves and it's extremely unlikely to find one that doesn't market a brand with their product.

18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The high end mainboards can use more than 100W, don't forget memory in there. Also, the wattage has no reliance on efficiency. It's a 400W PSU - that's 400W from the internals - the switching power supply. The efficiency only affects what it draws from the wall socket. If I'm drawing 300W from my PSU and it is 80% efficient, I'm drawing 375W from the wall. Moreover, don't forget that each rail can only sink so much power - you can't add up magical numbers and call it good. Some components use the +5V line, some the +12V line...some the +3.3 line (and the negative lines are used to bias.)

And again, I reiterate that MOST PSUs are rated in PEAK power. NOT continuous power. Peak can be sustained for a few milliseconds before you're dropped backt o what it can supply continuously...and you never, EVER want to be using a component at it's highest level. Go look at some of the National Semiconductor data on FETs - as you push them to their limits, they start to really heat up and not run as efficiently You're better staying clear of the maximum tolerances of the components.

Just because it's 80% efficient means NOTHING when it comes to what it is really capable of.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

A good rule of thumb is 25W for each peripheral (DVD/HDD). 1W per fan (negligible).
    [​IMG]

100W for processor, more for MB (don't know how much), RAM, etc..

I still recommend waiting for the HD5850. The HD5770 xfire should be less performance than the HD5870 (4870zx2), because it's loss of perf due to imperfect scaling (HD5770=HD4870 in performance), therefore the HD5850 (4850x2) should have performance not-too-under the HD5770 xfire.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've seen some MBs hit 100W power consumption, since the videocard will draw some power from the MB, as well as memory.