1.08 Trailer

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Krenzo, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Too bad you didn't use cl_drawhud 0 for some of the FPS parts :(

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

why are there no streaming connections on youtube or googlevideo for those of us with restricted bandwidth.

SOMEONE PUT IT ON YOUTUBE!!

3. Lithium

Lithium Member

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Umm, could you change the tags to things nobody will search for? These aren't supposed to be so public at all right now :)

5. Lithium

Lithium Member

yeah sure thing

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  6. unconnected

unconnected Member

looks pretty awesome, gives me goosebumps.. nice work

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I love it. That's very nice shot only thing which I would change there would be more mines because one mine doesn't do that kind of blow up (unless it isn't nuke mine) but in other ways that scene is nice.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I imagine there was a line of mines there which all blew up due to the one detonating.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That was pure wicked. I'm biased because I like the first one and I was in this one, but it was still so so good.

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

How come you didn't showcase Scout's Hide ability at all?

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

The scout was hidden when he first appears, but it isn't that obvious because of the black and white filter, then he fires. In all honesty, the current hide effect doesn't look that good on film (due to 'popping' which you don't really notice when playing), so I didn't want to show it too closely.

12. Mr. Weedy

Let's check it...

Nope, there's only one mine on the other side of the street.

[​IMG]

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

anybody else notice that the engineer that was about to be run over changes to a gren with a massive rocket launcher shortly before being plowed?

absolutely great trailer, really nice.

I 100% support the idea that both trailers should be released.... that's cool :D

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You can't see what's to the left of the frame. If there were a line of mines in a straight line, you wouldn't see them all because the camera is close up on one end of the line, and the camera is angled so that you wouldn't see the other mines.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah i dont know how that tank would of blown up and flipped like that with only 1 mine.. over all people understand what happend and it looks fuckin awesome

16. Mr. Weedy

Krenzo, if you think that yourself too. What people will think when they see that video very first time and when they see that scene?

My first impression was: "What a mine flips and blows up the heavy tank?"

Same thing happens to others who watch it first time and who haven't played Empires earlier. They think: "Wow that mine blew that tank that far. Those must be some sort of super weapons and you can get only few of them."

If there's a line of mines there, it should be visible. The all what people can see is the video where things happen. They won't start to think: "Hmm... that was a mine. In real life mines aren't that powerful or blow up from that distance. There must be something else which detonates it."

People only see what's shown on the video. That's why that scene is distracting. It's like thinking: "I hope they understand this and this and that and those things from the video even they aren't shown on it and they haven't never played Empires before."

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

in trailers, they always always exaggerate things. it's to give the feeling of the mod, without need for like, absolute realism.

18. Mr. Weedy

Yes I know but I feel like it's some sort of cheating. You show people things which aren't true in the game even they are true in the trailer.

After that the awesomeness is gone in the game after you have seen the trailer.

I just hate that kind of trailers that show all kinds of very awesome things and after you start playing you'll find out those won't work like that and they aren't that awesome after all.

That's just pure lieing right at your face.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this trailer is pretty much like a tech demo... shows gameplay and features rather than just "this is cool and fun", which is what the other one showed.

so i really think we need to release both :)

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Weedy, I can assure you that every scene was carried out in-game without any modifications. This wasn't even an organised scene: it happened during an ordinary public match.

There was a line of mines there (3 or 4 in total), the heavy happened to hit one of the central ones, and was damaged/pushed by the force of the ones to either side of it. The reason those mines were not shown is that they were in shadow, and I would have had to move the camera back (or use an inconsistent FOV) to keep both those and the road on-screen. If I had, the closest mine would have been much smaller on-screen, and thus harder to spot (remember, most people will only ever watch this once through on youtube). Seeing no mines is a lot worse than seeing only one.

The tank was destroyed rather easily because, as you may have noticed, it was a six-shooter. Therefore it didn't have much room for armor, therefore it 'sploded quite easily.