Empires Mod 2.0 and PR

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Great list l3tuce.

Bitchslap & Lithium, you have your marching orders :D

Please run the press release by us here on the forum before you send it.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What would be the result of emailing all the people registered on the forums about the new release, maybe including pictures and an outline of what things are new. If you look through old threads you'll hardly recognize any of the names. I just read an old thread where Lobster was complaining that there were only 150 people playing empires, what a fantasy land.

Lets email some of the members to remind them of the forgotten fantasy land.

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

bulk mass spam email rampage!

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I can mass e-mail everyone.

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

That would be a great idea, get some of those "BE-AR is unfair" people back, and the "this lags to much" people.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i think the mass email should wait until the RC's are compiled together so it's one installed or a lot of people WILL NOT BOTHER.

7. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

But it was taken at 800x600, with everything except HDR & AA maxed out.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The mass e-mail will be for announcing the release date of the public version.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

How easy is it to send out an HTML email with embedded pictures and text and stuff? Is it something someone here could make and then just send to you? I think that would be best, but I don't know the constraints of a mass email list.

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I vote 1.5.

And remember to note that your resident dial-up user puts his stamp of approval on Empires, supposing the game has under 20 people.

11. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

It does most of the time. :rolleyes:

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Not too hard, but most of the time the spam bots will be more suspicious of such e-mails. Usually they get through, though.

13. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

As I was reading this thread, the idea of an organized match/tournament being held or advertised shortly after public release? Or maybe even advertise earlier to allow non clan people to form groups get some practice, to enter in the tourney?
    Any sort of organized play would be good, so when the peeps start rollin in they can see Empires at its best.

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

League matches start 1-2 weeks after 2.0 comes out

15. Chahk

Chahk Member

The trouble with "1.5" is that most people will most definitely confuse it with 1.05. The latest RCs already feel like a totally different game from 1.071b with redesigned and new maps, new models and animations, new features, etc. and "1.5" just doesn't convey that.

I vote for "2.0" even if Krenzo previously said that 2.0 will feature aircraft. Besides, how many of the potential new players will remember that anyways?

16. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Exactly. If Krenzo is ok with changing then we all should be ok with it. He was the one who said aircraft would be in.

AND, we hope to get a whole new bunch of people hooked, not only people that have heard of emp before.

17. Kuma

Kuma Member

There is always the possibility of going for 1.9. It shows that it is a major update from 1.071, it isn't going to disappoint anyone because we ruffled their no aircraft feathers, and it shows a definite number change. While I like the sound of 2.0 personally, other mods that flash their new release numbers going "look at what we have done!!!" and really have nothing to show for it has turned many away from giant releases. I say save 2.0 for something that will really blow the people away (not that empires doesn't already, but there will always be those that say "but...but....planes???" and that will turn some people away.) So play up what you have, but don't make it a drastic number change.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Indeed. I want the 2.0 version include air crafts, balanced weapons on vehicles and infantry and also balanced engines.

And about the 1.5 and 1.05 mixing.

Do this:

1.5 --> 1.50

???
    Profit.

Or if you want it to be 1.9 --> 1.90

???
    Profit again.

That makes it look better and it can't be mixed with 1.05/1.09 so easily. At least I wouldn't.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

1.5 is too random, why not just 1.1.
    As in it would be the finished version of 1.x

and Chahk, I'm pretty sure almost everyone will remember 2.0 would include aircraft, it would be ignorant to think people would forget that, not being offensive, just saying that it would.

I still think its silly to name it 2.0 and not add aircraft, its just a number, why make it look like you changed your plans when you can just name it 1.1 and still send out the message on it being a more complete package.
    That way you won't make it look like you couldn't get 2.0 done and give the suspicion of not being on schedule with aircraft, or even cancelling it all together. You don't want to send out the wrong message in return for questionable PR buzz.

Just think of what would happen when it does get reviewed again, and the reviewer (that reaches the masses) does indeed remember Krenzo mentioning 2.0 would be aircraft, maybe the reviewer might even take the liberty to comment on this aswell. Not saying this will happen, but it might. He could still have a lot of good to say about the game, but what if he doesn't, and takes it as far as elaborating the things that have still remained the same from 1.0 to 2.0, even if they are no real issues, he might just give an objective comment on what is and what isn't still the same, and that it might have dissapointed him. It does effect readers, and it doesn't necesarily have to be negative, but its not like it would draw more players if they would know this (oh it still the same in said department, sounds great, better download it). If it does not come up in the minds of reviewers, or it is not brought up at all, you could still say the same for every individual player that notices these things.

By numbering it 1.1, all you will do is skip a 1.09, but seeing 1.08 has had extensive RC testing, might aswell. 1.1 sounds like a revised version of 1.x. It might not sound as impressive as zomg 2.0, but if the end package isn't as impressive as people might suspect, 3.0 might not seem very impressive afterwards either.
    In this case all the people you are luring (not taking in to account the people you are luring in that might think aircraft are in as its named 2.0) might just be satisfied with hearing 1.1 is the version that has its lag and bug issues solved, a more balanced, updated and more complete version of 1.x, knowing its a step between the bgugy 1.x and 2.0 aircraft goodness.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  20. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

1.1? That's a terrible suggestion. As far as anyone who hasn't played before is concerned, it's the first version after 1.0.