The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Jan 27, 2017.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

well I spoke to someone from Germany from this community awhile ago, and that was the first time I heard how much crime was going on there and how it is being covered up. I was not aware until he told me. Then articles on the net eventually started coming out about it.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes i know this cognitive dissonance from people living in the very same city as i do. they tell me how incredibly bad its here and how they cannot go to certain places and whatnot. places they never been to before because at the time they told me it was the very district i lived in. right below my window there was this hellhole worse than some slum in a 3rd world country - in their minds.

you do realize this people also only consume media - media that often follows a very specific agenda and doesnt feel bound to some journalist ethos - and reproduce the opinions common with their peers. something im certainly also not fully free from in all regards.

and ofc one can choose that all is a huge cover up and decide not to trust any public source or statistic, thats very well an option. i chose to trust them as its the most objective thing i have access to, i neither have the means nor the time to undertake all this research on my own. i regularily, daily, read 2 newspapers (you wont know them, derstandard and diepresse) one more liberal one more conservative - at least on controversal topics. theyre both deemed mostly credible unless you question the credibility of everything mainstream. (but you watch fox which is the most viewed news source in the states, so thats quite mainstream i suppose)

and i dont mean they say the lie intentionally. it might well be their very own experience in their personal surrounding and their interpretation thereof. but its just that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I understand your point flasche and it has merit, it would be nice if news medias (and I am including them all) didn't spin the news and just reported the fatcs like they used to more often than not years ago so the people, whether it be in Europe or America knew the truth and not what the journalists want us to know or believe.
    Commentators are different their job is to spin to to how they see things but journalists/ reporters should not and the ethics of journalism has gone down the toilet.

In fact one journalist from one of the left leaning news outlets did an interview on another left leaning news outlet and admitted, in his words, they treated Hilary with kid gloves during the campaign and hid alot of the negative stories about her from the public.

People deserve the straight forward truth and that is what journalists are supposed to do whether it goes along with their political views or not.

4. flasche

what i find really saddening is that good news sources (i btw find tv a not so good news source in general, newspaper articles usually are way more in detail. its also way more costly, so it needs the sensation to generate viewers) in the us often have a paywall. there are some free articles, but anything more detailed is only available to paying customers. i partially understand its to generate income, but on the other hand it undermines the "fourth power" and drives the less involved, more sporadic reader into the fangs of questionable, or at least less objective, sources.

also - and thats imo a bigger issue than biased mainstream news sources as its usally known which way they lean and they also have a reputation to lose - a lot of people seem to mainly get news from the internet where anyone can claim anything. a good example are the rumors concerning the recent attack in quebec. for a lot - but maybe only a vocal minority its hard to tell - it was instantly evident that it was a muslim and started the usual hatespeech. some even claimed that after official sources released contradicting statements. and the social media echo chamber is strong. im pretty convinced, even if its hard to prove the actual influence, social media played a huge role in recent political decisions such as trumps election*, brexit or the stance on migration and refugees.

its also fact that lots of those "independent" news sources on the internet are anything but independent, their funding just isnt public and their agendas unclear.

*please note, i thought hillary to be a subpar candidate aswell, only better and more predictable than "bull in a china shop"-trump. is that really the saying? ^^

5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I agree, it's a disservice to the public and IMO causes alot of arguments and misunderstandings among people. If we have the straight facts it wont stop debates but at least we would be debating based on the truth which would help us all form better and more accurate opinions.
    Most of the arguments in these threads have been, this is true no these are the real facts no that's alternative sources etc more than political debates on issues. and how can people have any kind of valid debate if people are getting their information that give them different so called facts from one another.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

you'd be surprised how easy it is to have a debate and disagree and yet not yell and argue with each other when you do so in good faith

since this is actually an immigration topic (or more rather a muslim immigration topic) rather than an open vs closed borders topic, this goes here:
    a corporate beer ad developed a year ago and shot months and months ago is now timely liberal propaganda

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketi...nt-story-to-reclaim-the-super-bowl-spotlight/

7. flasche

how is this liberal propaganda, thats pretty much the story of the american majority population - a bit overly romantic, but well its advertising. at a point all their ancestors migrated there in hope to find a better life, its pretty much what the nation was built on (native american genocide and slavery aside, but most of our nations have blood on their hands the one way or the other, who is an austrian to judge)

8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

since we several of us have different facts from one another on the same issues and we are basing our arguments on the different facts, I feel its useless to continue, so as much as I enjoy annoying X with political posts :P I am going to bow out of political discussions.

9. flasche

its not the nature of facts that there are multiple opposing ones, thatd be opinons.

10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

but the opinions are being based on sources that give different so called "facts".

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hi everyone, I'm moving that thread vicki made to the politics thread. Why? Because it's politics. In the future, please keep all that crap here.

As a random aside, I totally said I read these threads, but holy shit do you guys make huge posts and quite a number of posts in a short time. So hit that report button if anyone is being a terrible ass to someone. Loads of useless propaganda is also annoying, don't do that.

Last thing, this might sound super odd, but I don't consider an attack on people's views an attack on them. There's a pretty big difference between" your idea is stupid" and "you're stupid". So consider that when hitting the report button too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

5 pages in one day or so.
    Ain't noone got time to read all that.

13. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Ban isn’t a ban, insists press secretary for man who called ban a ban

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has denied claims that the travel ban Donald Trump described as a ‘ban’ is, in fact, a ban.

The denial came during a heated press conference in which Mr Spicer accused reporters of accurately reporting events that undoubtedly happened.

“Using words that President Trump definitely used is another example of the dishonest media using words that President Trump definitely used in an attempt to discredit him,” he said.

“The media will be held to account for unfairly recognising words that President Trump unquestionably used when describing his own actions.”

President Trump backed Spicer and insisted that his specific use of the word ‘ban’ when describing the ban had been misinterpreted.

“Let me spell it out for you,” he said.

“B-A-N-N, Ban!”

14. Space_Oddity

TIL Europe has open borders.

Fun fact: We don't.

Holy shit.
    [​IMG]

Not going to read the rest of the thread. It's all fake news from newspapers that aren't my personal favourite and certain writers for them have pledged their loyalty to the wrong oppressive occupying governments instead of the right ones.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Theres been 3 pages of extra information full of crap shit.

Posting click bait titles DOES NOT EQUAL FACTUAL INFORMATION

US now on the brink of destruction.
    123 days till the end of the world!
    5 possible ways the world ends within this year!
    US terrorism all time high!

All these headlines give a false sense of information without the actual statistics behind it.
    Posting random quotes and random shit doesnt make you factually accurate or even having an informed oppinion.
    You just make yourself look badly informed when you base your arguments on that.

Vicki her postings could be a new rightwing buzzfeed RSS all clickbait, no real information.
    FAKE NEWS

16. Paradox

"Sweden has the fastest growing population in Europe, due nearly totally to the influx of Arabs and Muslims from the Middle East. At the same time, its crime rate has increased astronomically: In 1975, 421 rapes were reported to the police; in 2014, it was 6,620."

This quote from page 15 is the epitomy of uninformed click bait articles.
    It gives causality to something that has no causality. You know why in 2014 there are more rape reports than in 1975 because people are not afraid anymore to come out that they are raped.
    Its like when the police crackdowns on crime and the crime rate goes up 5 percent in that year. Is that due to crime actually going up? Or is it because the police are catching more badguys so the crimerate in the future goes down.

The most important variable to determain if middle eastern immigration influx is actually increasing the rape rate exponentially is to see if the middle eastern crime rape rate is higher than the normal crime rape rate. If it is than you can say its because of the immigration if its not its just basic maths.

People always seem to forget about rule 1 and just take everyone at a glance

"follow two simple rules that virtually everyone, right and left, have forgotten.

1) Whatever it is, it's more complicated than it appears on the surface.

2) Because of 1, always think critically. Don't let yourself think you're too smart or too clever to be fooled. The only way to prevent it is to carefully consider both sides of every issue, however much you agree or disagree.

Just do those two things, and you've lifted yourself to the level of at least having an opinion worth hearing"

17. Space_Oddity

18. Paradox

Also wtf guys, are we calling alternative facts different facts now? Theres no such thing al different facts. One is wrong and one is right. Theres only one real fact... The difference is how you interpretate them

19. flasche

ikr

20. Space_Oddity

I honestly love how the phrase 'alternative facts' blew up from some pretty inoquous beginnings. All that (complete cunt of a) woman meant was that they had information that suggested otherwise, which was obviously a giant fib, rather than suggesting that there is variation in the truth.

But then the fascist clickbait comes a knocking and yeah.