Windows 10 is here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

8 definitely ran more efficiently than 7, and had much better boot times than 7 on top of that. There were still some significant issues with it beyond the UI so I hope 10 fixes those along with the UI.

In particular, the issue I encountered the most was the search indexer could build loops into your file system. What this meant was that whenever it was performing the normal indexing operation (which it basically does all the time in the background) it would encounter the loop and then get stuck in it. This usually resulted in the search indexing process using most of your drive's resources and bogging the rest of the computer down to extremely slow speeds.

2. Deiform

Deiform Member

I installed it today. It locked up at the start but I left it for a while whilst I was trying to watch TI. The Nvidia driver messed up but after a couple of windows updates and restarts it went back to normal again.

There's a few settings that you need to be aware of because Microsoft are pretty sneaky. In Windows Update the default is to have P2P enabled so you upload updates you've already gotten to other people on the internet (so it costs them less in server cost). There's a few third party marketing options that you need to turn off too (honestly they should offer you app store credits to do this).

All my games work fine. Star Citizen works exactly the same as well as Dota. Also note that if you don't like it, there's an option to just revert everything and go back to Windows 7/8 (whatever you had before).

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

And they are "never making a new os ever"?
    I better start praying for a linux that_doesnt_require_this_shit

6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

the update via USB stick performed wounderful and without any error on my x220 Tablet, no special (shitty) thinkpad drivers where changed no programs got lost, just windows defender tried deleting some cracks and services that before had an exclusion from scanning in 7.

I hate that cortana needs a live-account and is a dump bitch in german though.

will update my gaming rig in ~ 8 month.

EDIT: the boot times and general feel of the OS is about twice as fast (speaking accessing menus and touch on an older modified thinkpad)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh, that's exactly what I have, good to know. I'm gonna wait a bit though, probably 2-3 months first for any possible bad things that might happen.

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Me and complete just posted images of them selling premium solitaire, with ad's and shit.

And z00d is the only person to acknowledge how fucked up that is.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I like that they added new game modes.

10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I don't know what your problem is, I see the future of Empires there.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

1st google hit -> http://www.solitr.com/

as long as they dont introduce wait time for the explorer and then micropayment currency to cut this time ...

... omg i should shut up about it, someone could read it.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

The NSA knows.

13. Z100000M

Ads, daily challenges and personal points?

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

We have the third thing already!

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

Oh yeah the micropayments for playing solitaire is so fucked up. :rolleyes:

Like anyone plays it normally. But yeah, let's totally complain about a free OS where the only thing to complain about is the fact that they made the shit that no-one plays into a revenue stream.

16. flasche

i personally know a few people who play solitair regularily. and if i know some then there has to be a lot.
    its people at least 20years older then me though, a group you statistically better not neglect, they are many and usually have money to spend.

17. Z100000M

Someone doesnt have parents it seems
    For now.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

My parents probably don't know how to upgrade to Windows 10. Let's face it, the people that play solitaire are the same people that would watch the ads or pay for it. Anyone else that really wants to play solitaire will just play one of the many reinvented ones on the internet.

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing. It's such a minor detail.

Never really got playing that game either. Just get out a pack of cards lol.

19. flasche

i mean i dont plan to upgrade without wiping my harddrives of all the shit that piled up in the recent years, but its basically like click the icon in the tray and follow onscreen instructions?

also why are we defending windows again? just because its "free"? i fear there will be a day when we wish pay-to-play operating systems back ...

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It just works. Linux was nonstop headaches when I tried it out for a month. I mean it's great for people who just browse the web and write up documents, but it's a giant pain in the ass when it comes to getting games working.

I suppose there's something to do with the familiarity of windows too, it might look a bit different but it handles nearly the same.