Windows 10 is here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

I think comparing Cortana to a police state is a bit much...

2. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Regarding that whole privacy thing, I'll just put a paraphrase of a quote that I don't recall the source of: "Protecting the privacy of people is often a very difficult thing to do, because like most forms of monitoring and oppression it starts by targeting scumbags".

Anyway, most of the privacy issues with Windows 10 are nothing particularly new. Most of them are in fact non-news. Cortana listens to you just like any other speech recognition platform because that's how it gets better at speech recognition. The only part that's a little less normal is the unique ad ID system they have, I'm not sure how Facebook actually does their ad targeting but they basically do this shit already.

From my perspective, its the security issues with Windows 10 people should be upset about. Unfortunately, people suck and they'll mix this up. Take this article for example. The first four things it lists mildly relate to privacy, and they are all uninteresting and don't affect the normal user in any particular way other than the ad targeting which they would have anyway if they left facebook open and browsed the web. However, the fifth thing they list - which I can't recall if it has been mentioned here - is a security issue. The one they list here is the fact that if you encrypt your drive it automatically stores your encryption key to OneDrive.

Here's a little tip for all you uncertain out there: don't put your bloody encryption key on a cloud service. The other security issue which I haven't actually seen that much press about is Wi-Fi Sense. Supposedly it shares wifi passwords with your friends based on their location data. There are a couple security features in there to prevent the obvious from happening, but it's still a rather large security risk.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Agreed, the Wifi Sense and One Drive bitlocker key is horrible.

4. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

[​IMG]

What am i downloading? You probably all know.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

corporations are good and anything they do is for a reason

6. Metruption

Metruption Member

they're trying to be more grandma friendly than apple

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Windows update tries to make me update to 10.

Will any programsettings change when I upgrade?
    Will Userdata and shortcuts stay where they are?

I only upgraded my laptop in the past, that worked well, but my main is so very different from it. 7 x64 originally installed in October 2009.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Is there a way to disable that notification? I admit I haven't looked into it yet and just turned it off when it showed up.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I uninstalled that and I still get the popup for some reason.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Do you have windows set to automatically update things? Even optional stuff? It's probably reinstalling it after you reset it. That's my guess, that or you haven't reset the computer since uninstalling it.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

If you want to upgrade to Win 10, a clean install is highly recommended. Just upgrading may introduce a lot of subtle bugs and some performance issues.

But why not resist the devil and stay with Win 7?

13. flasche

there may be remnants in your registry. im mobile atm, ill post you a link as soon as im back at a useable device ...

14. flasche

15. w00kie

Better Skylake Support and it's so shiny and new. Also I'm unemployed, bored and basic Windows 10 knowledge will look nice on my resume. I just cba to do a fresh install, given that I got so many little tweaks and custom scripts that I don't even know where some of them are residing anymore.

OT: an optional update for 7 is out that finally fixes the 6 year old memory leak in dwm.exe. You know, when you rightclick in any program and the selected option stays on screen on top of everything else and only vanishes if you restart? They fixed it!!! :|ove:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3078667

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  16. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Has anyone figured out how to disable the Upgrade Now popup when you bootup? I don't feel like "upgrading" to the botnet and don't need to see that fucking notification every single day.

Sorry if this was talked about I am too lazy to look through the rest of the thread.

17. flasche

2 posts above yours

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Just changing the options for that little icon to don't show notifications worked too.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thanks for reminding that that exists.

20. w00kie

18:30 GMT+1
    [​IMG]

20:08 GMT+1
    [​IMG]

3 minutes later I was back on windows 7. I am staying here until 10 is more desktop friendly. It's okay for light usage, I really like it on the Thinkpad x220t, but it looks like shit, most things cry to be tweaked to get a better look&feel and the minor bugs are definitely there.

Settings window will reproducibly crash when you open another instance trough another settings dialogue. Powershell font size bug from Windows 8.1 is back.
    File backups made under windows 7 can't be accessed to revert to an older file version on 10. Further when you open windows backup on 10 and it finds your old backup location there is a scary message saying "your backup drive is about to fail" (!) which means planed backups won't work, not that the drive is about to break in the future. (I want to hurt the twat that coded the message text though)

Nope, fuck this shit. (Atleast on desktop)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015