The state of the infantry game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Paradox, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Been done in a Gmod addon, probably as simple as spawning a prop instead of raytracing the trajectory, and doing a thing when the prop hit something.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the thing with projectiles is that stuff with a v0 of 1200m/s (3900ft/s) and very little drag doesnt simulate so well (but idk how that is in UE4 tbh, maybe they account for this). in a 60fps simulation the projectile still travels at about 20m (66ft) per frame for most of the time. idk if just calculating the trajectory yourself and raytrace each (or even only each other, at this speeds its probably not neccessary to do it that often) frame wouldnt work better.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Oh right, that one problem :/
    Well, it's always possible to raytrace with a function accounting for gravity, but there's probably a way of solving this physic-wise, yet i have no idea on how to... Maybe increasing the number of physic calculation per frame for specific objects?

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well I know for a fact that Unreal at least spawns projectiles for each.

My approach would be to calculate the path beforehand and then just put the visual projectile at the corresponding spots on the track.

I mean it has to be possible, Arma 3 pulls it off as well:
    [YOUTUBE]cix07R1vlhI[/YOUTUBE]

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeah but with 64players including turrets and full auto weapons there can be a lot of projectiles in midair at all times.

sure its possible, not only ARMA does it. theres even a mmofps - battleground europe - that has accurate trajectories (and fucking awesome damage models). i just doubt they spawn props and throw them around with the physics engine, those usually are made for much lower speeds.

but tbh i know way to little about ue4 and its physics implementation to give a qualified opinion.

6. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Never said the contrary, i think the gmod addon is going for more frames, because it often ends slowing down with many projectiles (even with a i7).
    But on the other hand, the raytracing seems like plausible solution (in the end, it's still a simple function you're computing, but instead of being some sort of f(t) = x * t, it more of a f(t) = (x + a)* t) , and one solution for walls and stuffs could be to have another raytrace done from the other side of the surface, with few parameters changed.

7. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap Member

Again, this should ONLY apply for sniper rifles because hitscan is way more reliable and just feels better for normal weapons.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

We tried this before, still wasn't fun to play against a sniper.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think another thought is that empires is the most exciting to play in that mid to close range, so having weapons that encourage longer distances might not the be the best for the overall fun factor of a match. Just a thought.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I was going to write a long diatribe explaining that, but it was late. But yeah, there's several reasons why long range combat is not satisfactory in Empires. First, there's the issue with lack of cover in maps, sometimes due to map limitations, usually just because there has to be some space available to place buildings. Second, Empires focuses on teamwork in a similar vein to the Battlefield series. On large, open maps in Battlefield, snipers are just as big as a pain precisely because of point #1. And thirdly, lone wolf combat is simply not something that should be encouraged in Empires, because it tears down everything enjoyable about it.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

A registered letter to Spartacus:

As we have discussed in this thread and with the suggestions and feedback you have gotten we have clearly come to a consensus that the shotgun and closecombat gaming is not the way empires should be heading. Nor is the implementation of very strong long ranged weapons due to the open maps empires gives. What is needed is good close combat fun which in terms do not mean 1 shot = 1 kill weapons like the shotgun to eaz out the way for new players. New players should not get an advantage because they are new that shouldn't be and is not in the majority of the games the methodology of weapons and games development. Close combat and medium range combat should be encouraged with the option of long ranged. This can be done in many ways suggested in this thread and should be experimented with instead of experimenting further along the road you are heading right now.

My question now is, are you going to stay steady on the road you have chosen or are you going to take in account of what the people want or just keep, as you have already in this thread, ignoring all the voices of this community?

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I think that's a pretty funny way to put it, thinking of how many of the players are active here and the concept of the loud minority. ;P

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Not our fault that forums stopped being a lively place.
    Actually, server owners should try to make players aware that the forums exists and that we want some newbie input as well.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Did Mister Dye send you that letter? It's not your usual writing style.

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Now that you mention it...

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

its the ultimate solution which is quite impossible/too hard to do.
    I always kept saying no bullet drop = no proper sniper rifle.
    And was always wondering how it would work to just make sniper rifle shoot tiny long range mortars, but it would be probably a problem for the hitboxes

17. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I wrote it myself cause Im getting pretty livid about spartacus his downright dissapointing scripting and communication towards us. I sent him a pm after my refraction to which he replied very minimalisticly and like a true politician dodging the real point. To get attention I have to actually put some effort into it which at this point I find very needed for the survival of this mod which I care dearly about.

edit: I'll even disclose the reply to my refraction and his.

I'll admit the message itself was a bit agressive but at this point he wasn't taking this problem serious so I wasn't going to take him serious.

P.S.: Spartacus I do implore you to reply to this thread and my open letter to you if you wish to regain some trust with this community.
    I know you've read the forum already since my comment was posted at 11:36 and you have replied to another thread and have been online at Today, 12:42 PM

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  18. Z100000M

The problem with bullet drop is that its hard to tell if you are actually hitting something as it is. Now Bf4, which uses drop everywhere, has both tracers that actaully show you where the bullets are going and has a hit marker. Im not sure if workable sr (that still is used by lone wolfs and has crap utility) is worth screwing other weapons over.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

By now I almost want to say, remove the damn thing and be done with it.

20. Z100000M

What, the sr?

You might want to check your facts there.