PUG on March 8th, 1800 GMT / 1900 CET / 1300 EST / 1000 PST

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Feb 20, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if theres a lot of decent players on both teams you need experienced comms.
    theres a lot of factors. first if you dont know your shit in and out you will make slow decisions (at best) and second if your team doesnt trust your judgement, they either can not fully concentrate on their actual tasks or worse they ignore you in the worst possible situation.

so, if only one team has an unexperienced comm this team will inevitably lose.
    and if theres two of them i see 3 options
    • both teams baserush constantly bc if the enemy comm isnt experienced it will stress him more and it goes down the slippery slope of slow research, building placement and bad resource management
    • only one does and the other gets pushed into a defensive position and loses
    • neither team assaults main - the game is dragged out artificially

to me neither sounds desireable for a pug.

also you wont see good use of comm walls and turrets. and finally, bc there is this learning argument, less experienced comm players would actually learn more if they have an eye one what a good comm does in such an enviroment, rather then being in a situation where they are completely overstrained. if you want to learn commanding, apply for base bitch/backup crew position and pay attention to chat, map and research.

edit:
    i dont mean to disencourage anyone, i just meant to say, you should beg the most experienced player of your team to be comm if he doesnt apply on his own. maybe switch comms during rounds so everyone gets a chance to epenis with his kdr - but cances are you will get a more satisfying game for everyone ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's kinda my point. It was like no one was experienced tbh. And if we could actually lean on the people who are to advise the newbies, and muzzle any loud dogs that don't know jack, we could be well on our way to actually teaching people how to play.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The steam servers are down so the server browsers don't work and I don't know the IP to the EPIC server, but I was having some good fun in that SOF game.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Well that was a pretty good pug, it was significantly better compared to the last ones we have had.

Besides paradox and Spartacus griefing the whole time, it was pretty good.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, it turned out to be a good pug.

Unlike most pugs, it actually got better as time went on. I'm pretty sure we peaked at Slaughtered.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It peaked at slaughtered? Man that's when I quit I just couldn't handle the game anymore, I'm pretty certain the best match was the canyon one, streets of fire comes second, and I found the cyclopean match to be really thrilling, at least from the comm perspective cause I liked watching the fronts moving back and forth and the refinery ownership changing constantly. Admittedly I threw that game simply for not wanting to research UGL. The 2013 port with balanced scripts can not come sooner.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Balanced, lol.

You just wait.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

the whole time? lol I only played a total of maybe 10 minutes. Probably less.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

But this pug was supposed to be a failure! :(

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well the dedicated commander thing did fail.The first set didn't show up til later and then the pairing just went out the window. After the first 2 maps it ended up being a free for all, so I kinda wonder if there was a point in preselecting maps. I guess it went ok, however I ended up feeling like any effort I put into stuff was kinda moot.

Slaughtered and canyon didn't feel like high points to me. I mean slaughteered was ok, it just felt kinda terrible to see nf heavies and we had just started research on HE cannon. We only had meds too. Canyon was a bit awkward to me because all the decent people headed south on be, so we just kinda lost north. I really don't know what to do in that kinda situation, I had to sit in the command vehicle and just didn't know how to help them.

Cyclo was neat though, you're right about it being cool to see sides constantly change in comm view.

11. BigTeef

All you did was imbalance teams and harass people, your the reason why teams had less players.

Who the fuck switches teams in the middle of a pug and complains the whole time?
    You managed to be a bigger annoyance than when spike was going on a fender a few pugs ago.

There was nothing you could do, canyon is a player focused map.
    All that my squad did was camp in a spot and hit the rax while me and candles defended them.

It wasn't special, we had a real good engineer and I just fucked up the apc rush when I accidentally left the squad when I was trying to do squad powers.

I actually really enjoyed the 3 maps I played, people were listening to me when I was a commander, people respected my decisions, and I taught a new player how to use an arty tank.

It kinda scared me and made me think of some kind of elaborate troll, because I am used to fighting with my team and pulling my hair out to just get them to do basic shit, but I only had to get annoyed once.

Those were the best matches I had in a long time, and I hope we can replicate them.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I totally thought it was gonna be at the usual hour and came round a few hours late.

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I don't think you threw it. Even UGL couldn't have won it for you.

Your team simply couldn't handle vehicles and they lacked awareness whatsoever.
    When I was driving AFVs, I couldn't really kill your LTs because 2fast4me.
    But later when I switched to Bio ML Med tank and your team were STILL driving those weak ass LTs like they are invincible.

Basically, in the beginning you guys were gaining grounds with those super fast LTs/APCs..etc, because we literally couldn't stop them flying around.
    But later when you guys were forced to actually have vehicle combat with us...shit turned around.
    Anyway 95/100, gg, will attend again.

14. Paradox

Lol imbalance teams, I played 5 minutes of streets of fire got 10 kills in the base quit the game, next game I played was an hour later of cyclopean when everyone had heavies, I tried to get a heavy didnt work got in a jeep harassed another nf heavy then quit the game again, I love how u are such a faggot and give me so much credit for fucking up the pug. God you are so pathetic

15. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Hm, as I recall you played 5 minutes, complained that there were only 20 people for the pug, and immediately went afk in the middle of the bridge for about 20 minutes. And then Spartacus went spectate and (Extrems, I think?) crashed, making the teams 8 v 11 for the next 10 minutes - over which we lost all ground we had taken and our refineries.

Wonderful games, I enjoyed every second. Some seconds less than others (I don't like to hear vets grumble constantly about how the game isn't what it used to be or how people don't know what they're doing - get over yourselves), but at least people were playing for the first time in weeks.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Nah, after thinking about it if I had gotten turrets instead of rushing UGL we could held that north pass while you guys pushed on foot. Canyon is one of the few maps where turrets are incredibly effective. Though we still probably would have lost anyway, I think nf had some better tank drivers so with the lead they would have gotten they would have rushed us at like the 25 minutes mark.

As a random aside expect next pug details tomorrow on Monday. I really want to see how the next test goes before I put up any details.

17. Paradox

I had to leave to help my parents I told u guys I have to go for an hour then I Came back and drove a jeep for 3 minutse and left again. Not my fault people left cause I afk'd.

18. BigTeef

How about you just dont play when you have shit to do, you griefing piece of shit.
    People seem to enjoy the game more when you're not there.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

harsh bro... harsh.

20. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

If you had to be gone for an hour why didn't you leave the team :/

And people didn't leave cause you afk'd, people left because they're either a.) wankers (spartacus) or b.) having issues keeping the game running properly for a time span greater than 10 minutes (either Grant because of lulz scripts and trying to make vehicles or Extrems because of invalid Steam UserId Ticket error).

I had fun overall despite losing horribly both times I commanded. The prepug game - definitely my fault, with a little help from lazybum and my team early game that didn't respond when I needed them to, and the mvalley game - totally not my fault I swear, I lagged on the northern bridge and my CV somehow managed to twist itself 90 degrees so this happened:
    [​IMG]