Simple features/bugfixes/polish that you would like to see in the future

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by wealthysoup, Jan 23, 2012.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

%0|%0

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

S'okay if I necro this to suggest some flavour text changes in the class loadout?

----
    Actually, I talked to Trickster and he suggested I could just do the legwork and add it to the emp_weapons.txt. I used the SVN version of the txt (couldn't attach it :s): https://www.mediafire.com/?eyrx2uw7kkfrb5m
    ----

Anyway:

WAIT, did we ever get around to naming SMG1 and SMG2? I know we had tons of suggestions one time.

Here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071017...com/index.php/Weapons_of_the_Northern_Faction

Take the fricken "DM-12 9mm Pistol" instead of "9mm", take "Raven Arms DM-25" instead of SMG1, and take "Raven Arms PP12" for SMG2. Go do that now, instead of us having this unpolished SMG/9mm shite.

And here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071017...d.com/index.php/Weapons_of_the_Brenodi_Empire

Take the blasted "X-Pistol" instead of "Pistol 1", take "Tundra Falcon" instead of Pistol 2, take "Bren Industrial SMG-X6" for SMG1, and "Bren Industrial KR-3" for SMG2.

It's just terrible as it is. Shot pistol is fine, heavy rifle, assault rifle, these things don't matter as much simply because their summary names actually help to show what they do, as well as differentiate them. Their names can come later. Pistol 1, Pistol 2 and "9mm" as well as the SMG's really all need actual names because they get used ALL the TIME and are really still using Alpha development names. That is not on.

Anyway, back to what I was actually going to do:

Northern Faction
    Pistol1:
    "This 9mm pistol is an accurate and reliable sidearm. What it lacks in power it makes up for with its fast firing-rate and reload time." [The goal here is to let the weapon stand on its own, rather than being referred to in terms of the Shot Pistol.]

SMG1:
    "The Raven Arms DM-25 is the standard issue weapon for Northern Faction troops. Its slim profile is due to design focusing on accuracy over power, with the result that it can be lethal even up to long distances."

SMG2:
    "The Raven Arms PP12 is a new weapon popularised by the Jekotian Militia. Nicknamed the 'Dryer', it chambers larger rounds allowing for greater stopping power. However, the larger barrel has drawbacks, most notably that it lacks the accuracy of its smaller cousin."

NFAR:
    Just a little tweak:
    "The Assault Rifle is the close combat rifle." to "This rifle is the superior option for close to mid range combat."

NFHR:
    "The Heavy Rifle is perfect for long ranges where accuracy is crucial. However, it is unwieldy and recruits are advised to fall back on their sidearm when in close quarters."

Explosive Grenade:
    "A standard grenade that is effective against infantry, heavy armour and structures."

Sticky Grenade:
    "An improvised grenade that sticks to enemies. It is especially effective against vehicles, but the heavier payload means you will have to get close."

Brenodi Empire
    Pistol1:
    "Christened X after ten years of development, this Falcon Arms pistol is a marvel of engineering designed to function reliably in every combat situation."

Pistol2
    "The Tundra Falcon has become a popular alternative to the X pistol in recent years, as it brings greater stopping power to the field. Its only drawback is its small magazine."

SMG1
    "The X6 brings accuracy and firepower to the field, wrapped in a neat package. Clean and precise, it has undergone several modifications over the years to make it the most reliable weapon in the Brenodi arsenal."

SMG2
    "The KR-3 was a rushed prototype developed to combat the more organised and heavily armoured Jekotian forces the Empire began to encounter. While the weapon features a compound gas system to increase bullet velocity and lower recoil, the added power comes at the cost of accuracy."

BEHR
    "The Heavy Rifle's design was based on a repurposed assault rifle. The side clip was exchanged for a drum magazine that gave the weapon more stability on the move, but sacrificed the accuracy of its lighter counterpart. It is especially effective in close quarters."

BEAR
    "The Brenodi Assault Rifle showcases the craftsmanship of the Empire's weapon manufacturers. Able to unload a clip with near pin-point accuracy to a target at range, this fast-firing, fast-reloading rifle will spell certain doom for your foes. Just don't mention movement."

Explosive Grenade:
    "This Brenodi issue grenade will deal damage to all targets within its explosive radius."

Sticky Grenade:
    "This improvised grenade sticks to enemies and is particularly effective against vehicles. The heavier payload results in a much reduced range, however."

Edit: Fixed a typo

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

[​IMG]

Acceptable post btw.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I for one am against naming the weapons. It serves little purpose, as im pretty sure noone reads the descriptions anyway. It would also make reffering to weapons harder as who would intantly know whats an smg2 everyone keeps talking about is. Be SMG has a name anyway, im pretty sure its XML something, its written on the left side of the gun.

NF weapons, especially the nfar and p1 seem (and im pretty sure fluff-wise they are) like home made futuristic /stens/. They really shouldnt have a proper name imo.

One thing that i noticed, why does bear1 suffer so much while moving? I havent seen many people use it ,if any at all, since mobility is king and aiming down the sights activates a quantum inhibitor, slowing your movement by like 75%.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

There is something wrong when the model of the gun is actively blocking your view when aiming down the sights.
    Using them is supposed to make dealing distant targets easier, not harder by having a metal bar cover up the player model.

[​IMG]

There is no way this kind of work requires magicians.
    You are removing small lines or triangles, not re-working or animating a whole gun model.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It serves little purpose. Except "Pistol 1" and "SMG1" and "SMG2" won't have pretty terrible and unpolished alpha names. That's not a name, that's a placeholder. If they were different in some way, e.g. "close combat smg" "long range smg" to begin with, that wouldn't have been so bad.

BE SMG1's name is SMG-X6. It's down the side of the gun. Also says Drechter G Sett, whatever that means.

I'm not sure what advantage having the weapons un-named provides. To me it just looks like a really bad part of the GUI I don't even look at anymore. Though if I'm honest, I was only going to update the flavour text because two weapons didn't make much sense, but I figured might as well suggest the whole thing.

I didn't touch the rifle names, btw. I just touched Pistol 1 & 2 on BE, Pistol 1 on NF, and the SMG's. Heavy rifle etc pretty much says what it does tbh, and doesn't need a name.

It's pretty bad, tbh. It's like SMG1 vs SMG2 - smg1 had in the description that it was accurate while moving, but when I asked Trickster that is clearly NOT the case, and that it's smg2 that is accurate while moving. That was another reason I wanted to change it.

Also, if you fire NFSMG1 the recoil looks much worse and gets really difficult to aim if you're moving, but on BESMG1 it's not as bad. Though they have the same values script-wise, it looks like the models have to be balanced separately for recoil. The same values just look so different on different models.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Then go do it. I don't disagree at all, but I don't know how to do it, and I'm certainly not going to put time into doing it. I would imagine you just alpha over an area within the texture, so I doubt that's hard work.

Like seriously, people are coming to me constantly saying "we should do this, we should do that". I commit shit all the time that the community has done. If you want something adding, ask me if I agree with it. If I agree, then just go and do it. I have absolutely no problems with the community pitching in.

Dz, DDD and Ikalx have already made additions scriptwise to the next patch. ViroMan is working on vehicle handling stuff that, when I get time to test it, will probably also get added. I've no doubt that Spartacus is building up a load of shit to drop on me at some point to get that committed. I have no idea what it is, but if it's worthwhile then I'll just add it. This kind of shit totally works for me, so everyone is welcome and encouraged to just pitch in where they like.

8. BigTeef

Nice double posting.

Give me the tools or something in a steam message and I will attempt to see if I can even figure out how to do that much.
    I mean there is no way in hell something like removing a straight line of a poly is deep sea levels of hard.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Is the be iron sight really that bad? I know that you kinda have to aim somewheres in the middle of the bar, not at the tip. Doesn't seem that bad though. I do agree about the nf ones, but I only bother with iron sights at extreme distances, so it isn't hard to keep track of things at those distances.

10. BigTeef

Give tester status to sitka, he said he can make better iron-sights than me and chances are he could.

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

13. BigTeef

14. Trickster

He had access about 30 minutes after he posted asking for it.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Ikalx, I'm up for those changes, although in some places you contradict yourself e.g:

"While the weapon features a compound gas system to increase bullet velocity and lower recoil, the added power comes at the cost of accuracy."

Post up the final version when you are done and one of us will stick it on SVN (not sure if your earlier link is the final version or not)

16. Trickster

I had already committed it before he posted I think.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

While we're redoing text stuff, is changing the briefings for stock maps also something you're interested in? They could be less generic when it comes to the descriptions, at least.

I'm up for thinking up a couple stories for the maps.

18. Trickster

By all means go ahead.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

NF1 I think should really stay as a crosshair, but be significantly slimmer in the middle, if you are doing your suggestion I imagine the one on the left would be much more user friendly

NF2 I really dont understand what is going on, where abouts in the crosshair do you place the target?

BE changes are good but personally I'd be more inclined to do it like real life guns and have the midbit higher than the surrounding edges

20. BigTeef

Sitka wants to do the ironsights, he came up with an idea for the NF1 where you remove the top bar and leave the other 3 alone.
    [​IMG]

Nf2 rifle would be better with a crescent moon iron sight because its easier to put heads on the sight.
    The way it is now, you got this little hole and its basically useless because its just too small to look out of, but if you cut it in half you can put targets on it easier because the top part of it is no longer obscuring targets.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014