emp_echelon cooperation

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Feb 24, 2013.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the barbed wire should only be faces no volumes. also if you get odd angles in blender try press keypad 5 before taking screenshits.

2. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Just an experiment for now. If any real interest in a new ship then I'll think about the rest of the work. Still, large parts of the original can probably be preserved. Move the tail fin and fuselage into the old cargo area, scale and repaint just that part.

3. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Thought about barbed wire but also thinking to try more solid looking options too. Or maybe put a third support in the middle so it seems more solid from a tank's perspective. They'd normally roll over barbed wire.

Tried both view methods and using what looks better of the two. A panning animation about the only way to do it right probably.

4. flasche

started to work on stuff for the map aswell ...

[​IMG]
    ... it sure is not the final one, its not even its early stage, its just the last of a (felt) hundred i started before i go to bed now.

gnight

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Very nice.

Is that blender? After stumbling around the last couple weeks trying to learn the blender interface, keys and "way", I think I finally got it. I had to get away from thinking so mechanical and more like putty. A little light came on and I said "wow".

I scrapped the first AA guns last night. Now that "I get it" I have a different idea in mind that should be simpler and work better than my first mechanical version.

6. flasche

yes blender

im cleaning up the mesh atm, front is better now, back needs more work. then more detail.
    [​IMG]

also yes learning hotkeys is frustrating but a must if you want to do something productive.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Fuck, just make a gas chamber while you're at it.

8. flasche

excuse me?

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I can provide the gas.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Looking excellent flasche
    I'm hoping candles can code me a (an easier) timer after the port is finished.

Not much for me to do at the moment. I suppose I might take a look at one or two bunkers myself as long as hammer is broken for flasche.

There's plenty of entity work to be done, but I'm as bad at it as I feared

11. flasche

tbh idk if hammer is broken or not i cant get me to try it. atm its like - get home, start up blender, learn more and more shit, do stuff wrong, fix it for two hours, rinse repeat - gf already doesnt like blender ^^

i declared this landingboat my learning project, meaning ill finish it - if its done ill know how to do all the modeling, highpoly-lowpoly shenanigans and animations. i have high expectations to myself, so it will take some time, i hope i can reach them.

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I can probably do some of it.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Are you talking about code, bunkers or flasche's modelling ?

14. flasche

theres even a fourth possible option, entity work ...

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

I decided he meant all of the above

Thanks Dz, you're awesome!

16. flasche

he is indeed - a shining light in the darkness this community turned to.

17. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Raw model mostly done. A mixture of different AA looks though the years Yes, No, Maybe? Pretty busy lately so progress is slow on this and gibs for the barricades.

Click for the short animation using blender key frame animation. Don't know what can be worked in with HL2 physics. Might be more limited or not.

http://s544.photobucket.com/user/PlazinJavelin/media/Empires/Turret01-1.mp4.html

Misfire's fly swatter....

[​IMG]

18. flasche

you could at least have added the edge split modifier* for the rendered scene :P

anyway looks nice - but i think "in real" all barrels would move at the same time, the mechanics involved in moving them individually would be prone to failure.

* the sharp edges thing of the modifier is somewhere in ctrl+e - mark sharp (needs edges selected ofc), gives great results for most geometry. i think you cant use it when exporting for source, but you can use it to bake normals with sharp edges to a completely smooth shaded mesh. baking itself is quite easy, the target needs to be unwrapped, the two meshes origins need to sit in the exact same spot, then first select the source, shift+rmb the target, set bake options to bake to active, select normals and click bake (you may also need to open an image in uv/image editor first). if they come out odd you need to tinker a little with distance and bias.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. Silk

Silk Mapper

A 25% increase in barrel length would be usefull. The model won't be very close by, and we want it to attract players attention from a distance as well. Real guns didn't ^^

20. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Thanks, I'll have to look that up.

It depends on the hardware. The guns I'm referencing don't fire synchronously. I think it looks a bit cooler too.

Sorry I couldn't find better examples, but here are some poor vids showing 40mm Bofors firing somewhat independently. I've seen much better footage before, but can't find it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBw0r28qC0&feature=youtu.be&t=11m3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TdsywB1IcU&feature=youtu.be&t=18s

I use smoothing while building/testing to help me avoid making more than one object in a model. The final work will have normal edges. Over use of smooth here is just one of those "to each their own" kind of things.

And yes unwrapping and baking is very easy once you learn how. Painting the final texture map... that's the hard part.

@Silk

For size I can scale things better for you very easily. I like the longer ones too. The barrels are separate models from the base. I have paired them so that 1 and 3 move together, 2 and 4 together. I hope this makes using physics in hammer easier. I'll try to get more work done in the coming week. My day job keeping very busy right now.