come play

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chrono, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

People certainly don't quit because of my eh-mazing micspam. That is a fact.

2. chrono

chrono Member

nice admins + votes + moderating delicatly uncontrolled players (curses racism whatever) + focusing on having fun = thats all you need

... + fixing the empires crash

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

To everyone who thinks it is possible to write a map cycle or map vote system which actually works - do it & give it to me. Thanks.
    We did actually talk recently about a fixed cycle on Viper.

I'm not saying things cannot be improved, but everything I have seen draws me to the conclusions that neither fixed cycle or nominate based voting is sufficient to hold people's interest without admin intervention.

It doesn't help when a few people act like children when a map comes up they don't like, throwing all their toys out the pram like anyone should give a shit & never actually making a nomination/suggestion.

Pro-tip:
    How to get ignored: "WTF? WE played this shitty map 3 times today. Fucking [Servername] Admins."
    How to get what you want: Ask politely, ~80% effective.

4. chrono

chrono Member

those pro tips are no good for us though, maybe post them on the welcoming page to viper?
    and also, i thought there is already a voting system...i dont understand
    this vote system is really good...the best i have seen everywhere the atter of fact. so im pretty confused.

i defenetly agree admins presence is the key.

also if people are childish thats not a problem. if they want a map, they shouldsay so an admin is not forced to listen to anything else besides that.
    if that player starts swearing because of it as a resault and not calm down, moderate him.
    very easy. i personally dont care what anyone says so thats how i see it

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Only thing I can think of that would help with voting is if you made maps have some statistic whenever they get voted in. Like having the maps that aren't voted in very often take precedence over maps that get played all the time when the default nominations show up in the vote menu. Also having the huge maps that are no fun for less than 10 people not show up in the vote menu too.

It is amazing the number of times that I see midbridge show up and get voted in, when there is only 8 people on the server and everyone quits because they don't want to play it. Before somebody says something, it usually gets voted in when there is only 2 people at start and it show up as option 3 or 4. I know I accidentally vote for random maps because the vote shows up in the first 20 second of a round, right when I need to pull out the calculator.

Senor said it best, voting and nominations work if people actually nominate stuff. Nobody bothers for some reason though.

6. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

bro-tip: !revote

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'd say remove map changing from basic admin privileges. That's why there's a mapvote, to choose nextmap.

8. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

While you are at it, remove ability for admins to gag players, that's what local mute is for.

#micspamproblems #aboose #viperadminsareliterallyhitler

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

In all seriousness, why is the vote at the beggining of the round? It makes it so there is little time to nominate and makes people screw their votes constantly because of switching weapons. It makes it also so that when people actaully come to the server, they have to cope with whatever the 3 guys decided 10 minutes ago, which is,in my experience, usually a small conquest or money, and that sure doesn't make people stay.
    Just put this shit to after the round is resolved.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Actually yeah, do what Z100000M said. It could help with a lot of problems.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Trigger it right when the CV dies. Should still be enough time for a full voting session before map change.

12. chrono

chrono Member

you are wrong here because admins are welcoming relatively, and want the best for the whole of the server.
    it wouldnt help unless someone uses it selfishly.
    also, there is the santa map thing that only admins can do in a row

13. chrono

chrono Member

wow thats a very good suggestion.
    may somebody implement this?
    1) no one cares so much abuot next map. they focus on the current map
    2) messing up votes cuz they switch wepons and accidently choose a vote.
    3) in the end of the round people have time like 1 min before map change. which is boring and is also a good spot for voting.
    4) end of the round is best time to think about next map

i personally dont care so much about which maps to play.

14. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Yeah that all sounds all good and gravy but unless one of you actually writes the plugin that works the way you want it to, it will not happen. Simple as that. Make all the suggestions you want, but they are all going to waste unless you step in and make it happen.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That's how it used to be a while ago actually; it got changed because the idea is that if people know ahead of time what map comes next, they might be willing to tolerate a shitty map with the knowledge that an enjoyable map comes next, instead of being in a shitty map and leaving because they don't have anything to look forward to if they sit through the map.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Says the person who's been here for a month. Just because the admins tell you they are welcoming doesn't mean they are. Admins like to use their abilities to fuck around and generally do shit that makes the server seem to be a joke. Take for instance Steve who would screw around with the dead CV at round end or JGF who would randomly slap Freaknovich with no reason. Now the playerbase thinks that fucking around is the norm and like to encourage admin fuck-aroundage.

Shitmaps like rainbowroad and the santa map are out of the map cycle for a reason because they are gimmicky maps that don't have serious gameplay and get extremely stale. If the admin get's asked by the players to put it on he should not, because it's out of rotation, that's the whole point why it's out of rotation, to not be played regularly. If they put it on, the purpose is defeated. Maybe if two weeks had passed, sure, put it on if some bad player wants to play it, but not every 8 hours.

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Why don't you guys just buy the server from vicki.
    I mean she pays the hosting with bedazzled dog collars.

18. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Can't you just build another? Or is there something special about getting one listed on steam? Keeping a box running 24/7 with good bandwidth may not always be an easy task.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You don't build servers yourself unless you're like a hobbyist or something. What you do is you purchase one from a data center (or more like you get part of a server) where they install everything for you on one of their many machine's they are running, and maintain the server physically for you, but give you virtual control of it. I'm not sure if the EPIC server is data center or one of their guys do it, but VIPER I know for a fact is.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

People starting new servers never worked because people ask, "Why don't we just play on viper."
    And never show up on your server.

If you can't beat another business with competitive sales, you either relocate, or buy them out.

Seeing as she is paying server hosting costs with bedazzled dogs collars, I doubt the listing price would be expensive. By doing this, the entire server structure and how it works can be redone, and can induce positive staff changes. Or you could be a dick and shut down the server and force everyone to play on epic, THEN you would kill empires.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013