Fitting Tech

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Awrethien, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

i got the idea to get togethier some thigns that look or have the feelings of Empires. Some of the techs are a bit off the wall but are grounded in real workable technologies. Hope fully some of you others can add some more. Ill start it off.

Pykrete

During WW2 Britian seriously considered building aircraft cariers out of this substance. The envisioned ships would have been massive. It was to be approximately 2,000 feet long and 300 feet wide, with a deck-to-keel depth of 200 feet, and walls 40 feet thick.

[​IMG]

It be imperviosue to torpedos and be virtualy unsinkable. An one inch thick block can survive over 15 shots from a .223 calaber round. The project was eventualy cancled as conventional methods of war was succeding in eliminating the U-boat threat, dispite the ease of witch pykrete is made. The only complications was how massive a project it was and that it needed to be refrigerated. It requires only two ingredients. Ice and wood pulp. No joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habbakuk

Antipodal bomber

[​IMG]

A Germian Concept for a reusable rocket powered long range bomber. This aircraft was actualy desined with the concept of reaching low orbit and skiping, like a rock on a pond, across the the stratosphere. It would first launcing from a monorail, bomb targets in North America(USA), and land in territory held by there allies Japain. While technologicly impossible at the time the concept was sound. The only real technical hurdel is launcing the craft into orbit at appropriate speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodal_bomber

Earthquake bomb

[​IMG]

A bomb of truly seismic proportions. This is a weapon that originaly was considered to outlandish to work besides the fact that there was no plain large enough to carry the thing. The bombs damage was not done direcly by the five tons of high explosives. The actual damage was done by the shockwave it sent throught the ground. After being droped from the air with fins to create a fifling effect that would casue it to penitrate up to 30m. The shockwave from the blast would travel through the ground for hundreds of yards. The bomb esentualy created localised earthquake. Carving out the ground, underminding foundatons,and underground bunkers. Another nasy but effective use was against hardend stucturs such as sub pens. When striking the concret the shockway would pass through the ceiling blowing out a chunk of the roof showering the ocupents with shards of concret and rebar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_bomb

Junkers 287 Forward Swept Wing Bomber

[​IMG]

In 1942 Junkers was given a contract to develop a four engine jet bomber. In an effort to obtain data on flight handling characteristics in the shortest time it was decided to build the prototype Ju 287 from as many existing production parts as possible. The fuselage and canopy came from the He 177A-3; the tail section was from a Ju 188 while the landing gear was taken off a captured B-24 bomber! About the only pieces built from scratch were the wings and the engine layout.

Power was supplied by four Jumo 004B-1 turbo-jet engines; two mounted on the forward fuselage and two under the wings. Rocket assisted take-off (RATO) measures were utilized to insure a greater safety margin. One Walter HWK 109-502 rocket pack was mounted under each engine; two were turned on at takeoff providing additional thrust while the remaining two RATO units were intended to provide some compensation in case of engine flameout on takeoff.

Initial flight testing was carried out at the Brandis airfield near Leipzig in August 1944. On 16 August 1944 the Ju 287 V1 took to the air for the first time with pilot Siegfried Holzbaur at the controls. The aircraft performed well and confirmed the wind tunnel predictions for a forward swept wing. A total of 16 test flights were undertaken with good results. At this point the Ju 287 V1 was transferred to the Luftwaffe's Rechlin test center for further flights. As of yet no evidence of any parts folling off mid flight have been discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_287

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Here's a crazy idea for a map: onboard one of those mega ships! you would be able to see in the side of many of the other decks, and so fighters could shoot in through the sides. and then they'd be all this crazy fighting in the midsection. it would be awesome.

3. davee magee

davee magee Member

err i saw a tv programme on pykrete and military ships

they concluded it wouldnt work
    the technology they had at that time didnt allow then to do it

and now its not impervious to out modern weps, hence why it hasnt been used in modern times

4. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Sounds kinda like...

....some crazy huge stuff that is all one hit kill and indestructible, i could be wrong, but thats the way it seems lol.
    Some of them could be interesting. i like the first idea. but i dont know what pykrete is yet. ill read the wiki.

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea true but what I was looking for was stuff that was just close enough to reality to possibly work. Such as a giant aircraft carrier made out of renforced ice. If there was a navel battle could you imagen being BE trying to sink this thing? There destoyer only taking out small chunks of its massive 40m thick walls so it takes a long while. But create ways for BE to board the ship to fight inside to direcly damage the engine room and armory....

I could also see a map based on a NF trying to assult a BE base to destroy the atipodal bomber under resuch there.

The Junkers I threw in as I think it fits the NF stile perfectly. Come on look at the pic lol.

What Im trying to get things that could be used for the mod and potentialy fit.

6. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Wouldnt the Grand Slam be now possible with a small nuclear device?

8. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Oh definetly. If you could get a committie past the nucler part:rolleyes: .The bomb was developed and used a little bit during the final days of the war but was hampred but the fact that each bomb took weeks to make,only one could be droped from a plain at a time(of course), and even then the plain had to be special modified...

Parasite fighters. Cool:cool:

9. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

I remember reading the book: dambusters, about 617 squadron during WWII, to carry the grandslam they took off the bomb doors removed the dorsill turret, and it still barly left the runway, (the bomb was 10 tonnes).

I think we should use it's little brother the tall boy.(the nuke was little boy)

10. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

...and have it only able to damage structures... Good by turrent farms.[​IMG]

11. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Turrets have no foundations, so an earthquake bomb would have no effect:(
    allthough the german battleship Tirpitz was sunk by them.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Turrets would simply tip over :D (I hope)

13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

or shoot the earthquake... and win.

14. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Well I shoot Earth with anti-matter... don't mind how much energy was needed to get that much anti-matter... I STILL DID IT.

15. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Ok.... bit out there.:rolleyes: Ok let me try and add some more things to get back on track. Found some new toys:D

TSR-2

Jet that was cancled, because of project over runs and political reasons, in favor of the F-111. This turned out to be a mistake as the F-111 went even farther over budget, was less reliable, and not as advanced. Unforchenatly the project was never restarted as when the project was cancled most of the data was lost or destoyed. Becasue of this it was cheaper to start from scratch than to try and reinvent the plain. One key peac of technology that was saved however was the jet engien. The same engiens in the TSR-2 was used in the concord passenger jet built 15 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSR-2

(I beleave the NF may already have a weapon based on this)
    M3 Grease Gun

[​IMG]

The M3 SMG aka "Grease gun" was a attempt by the us military to get a cheaper alternative to the Thompson MG. The M3 was able to do this and was even konsidered disposable when damaged. Becaus of its simpisity many ordance officers where able to make repairs when no replacments where available. A true testamet of the KISS principle as this rugged and reliable weapon was used throught the Vietnam war and untill the Gulf war by the 19th Engineer Battalion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Grease_Gun#_note-0

Come one people lets get some more interesting stuff.:cool:

16. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  17. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

No Shit! Heres some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They where plans for a self propeled Schwerer Gustav....

Four thouse who dont know about it this is the size of its shell. Yes thats a full sized T-34
    [​IMG]
    If Germany Had waited anothere 20 years to start WW2...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Is that tank for real? jesus christ.

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Thats not a tank, thats a moving fortress... That is enough AA Flaks to take down an entire bomber group with no problems O.o

The Dual main cannons would make short work of any static target...

I wonder how thick the armor on that thing would be; seems like its not sloped or anything so it could easily be penetrated by some higher caliber guns...

And I think I just found the real life BE med tank... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006