It's back, and worse than before.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PreDominance, Mar 19, 2011.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the point is, you can abuse a single player (f.e trickster vs patton - if hes still playing) and thats really hard to track as admin. but please, get devs to put it in game and ill make you come to the forums and beg on your knees for its removal ...
    (plz dont take it personal, i dont want to abuse u, just show you how its abuseable)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

What did I do to Cpatton now?

3. Zeke

Zeke Banned

you stole his virginity.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

not now, but i remember you really liked to abuse eachother - it was just meant as example ...

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Still, it would only get abused as much as any other aspect of the game, you can decide for yourself how often that occurs. However, to avoid any erroneous use, you could throw a time limit on it. 20s (with a ~120s cool-down?) is plenty of time to teach a player a minor mechanic.

If I just need to turn a member of bravo squad toward his squad mates, it takes literally 2-3s. If I can use my voice and physically rotate the player, it's much easier to get a positive result. Right now, coms just start screaming at players...

There's absolutely no reason for any forum goers to need to be directly taught something. By the time you get in the forums and start bitching about game mechanics (ahem), you've learned enough. We're talking about the sheer basics of Empires. Repairing your CV, getting in a vehicle, pressing "F" "S" "A", etc.

I understand in an RTS with real humans skittering around like ants, it can be scary to give more control to the commander, but I feel it could really improve everyone's experience.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. Vitaly

Vitaly Member

Direct player control would effect the time the commander has to focus on other things. I believe it would be easier to implement a slap system of some sort, so the commander can reprimand players until they start working with their squads and such.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Idk, I think it was mainly me reaming him in every match we ever had.

8. ImSpartacus

That's a built-in control so the feature isn't overused. Whenever it's used, you are basically playing without a commander and with another player on "spectate". A commander would be foolish to abuse the feature, it would fuck the team over fast.

It's an alternative to simply screaming at a noob. You could scream at the noob and control them. I'm amazed at how players can ignore a raging com, but it's hard to ignore someone controlling your player.

But all this talk is probably pointless. I doubt it's technically feasible to add such a feature to the game.

9. Krazer

Krazer Member

You guys do know that direct player control will NEVER EVER be in empires.

Keep arguing about nothing though.

10. BrotherBiscuit

BrotherBiscuit Member

Playing the game for the first time in 2 years, I know remember how bad stacking has been.

And for a re-new player, its not fun, at all.

If you stack, your a cock-bag, and no excuse you can pull out of your ass will make you anything more than a cock-bag.

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

^ ^ ^ ^ Why people stack.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I dunno, FN is kind of a cockbag

13. ImSpartacus

I've been wondering why Empires has such a problem with stacking. I dropped over almost 1000 hours into TF2, mostly in popular pubs, and I haven't noticed any consistent problems with player stacking.

Then I come to Empires and donate a requisite 50 hours, but find a much different landscape. During my time playing Empires, I've found an effective way to identify stacking. You need to look no further than the number of players on each team. If there's a difference of more than 2-3 players, one team is stacked. Players get fed up with Empires and leave.

Just now, I joined Viper server and saw 22 people on one team and 17 on the other.

And I don't want to hear that this problem is coming from only a few rotten apples. Mootant is on Viper server right now, Trickster was on a few minutes ago. There are enough skilled players to spread across both teams.

There are simple game mechanics that can fix these problems, but I honestly don't think anybody really cares about making Empires fun for anyone but the people that frequent these forums. It's frustrating, Empires is an excellent concept, but right now only a scant few get to really enjoy it.

14. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

nospec + autoassign plz

15. ImSpartacus

It's pointless, I've suggested the same thing.

If a guy that's been playing for less than 4 months can independently come up with the same ideas as the guy that's been playing for years, there's obviously some other reason that stacking still exists. It's definitely not for lack of a simple effective solution.

The most popular pub servers on TF2 are the FreeFrag servers. When you join a FreeFrag server, you are instantly on a team. The first thing you see is the class choice dialog box, not a team choice dialog box. There's no possibility to game the system at all. Maybe there's a reason the FreeFrag servers are the most popular in all of TF2?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  16. BrotherBiscuit

BrotherBiscuit Member

Thats why I play on em.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

well tf2 is completely different, there are multiple rounds on the same map, both teams have the exact same weapon, the only difference really is on any map with blue attacking and red defending, but on empires there is only 1 round per map, and you'd want the right people to win it.

Think of it like real life games, Empires is like any sport, the good guys make the team, the crap guys are always last pick, everyone wants to be on the team with all the good guys.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Except in sports, crap teams meet crap teams, they doesn't meet NHL finals.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  19. Krazer

Krazer Member

Stacking in empires will always be a problem because of how many players are playing.

TF2 doesn't have this because it has tons of servers.

The fact I even have to explain this is disappointing.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Stacking in Empires exists and is a problem simply because teamwork exists to such a high degree here. No one wants to play with a team that doesn't listen and work together, and that's all it really is.

I don't really care if the players are skilled or not. If they listen and work together, it'll be a good game more often than not. Might not win, but it'll be fun.