Scout Shotgun: Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by PwnedYoAss, Jun 2, 2009.

?

Scout Shotgun?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Other (Post)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I feel that giving the scout the shotgun is about as useful as rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. It does not solve any of the problems endemic to the scout and will just cause snipers to migrate to the rifleman's carbine\heavy rifle rather than eliminating them.

2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I think the shotgun fits perfectly. Scout = Infiltrator

3. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

how many times have we come to the conclusion that scouts are not the problem, snipers are.

when you see good scouts play compared to bad scouts, the good scouts move fast, get in there, cause some shit, sab something, and call their buddies. the bad ones sit in the middle of coast with hide for 45 minutes and get 2 points.

which one effects gameplay more? the aggressive one.

also, logically, why would the scout have flashes, smoke, and stickies, if they are encouraged to sit waaaay back on a hill with their fucking sniper rifle.

now compare scouts to riflemen, for anti infantry duty.

I think lots of people love the idea of a sniper, I know I do. and I would play it if it was effective. but we've been down that road before. so we should just accept that if you want to snipe, take your pick of a dozen other fps's.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Most the time I play scout Im in the enemy bases sabbing shit fighting em close quarters. Shotty would be perfect for that, long range sniper type kills are for rifleman.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Then how do we kill riflemen? Tanks?

6. Lumi

Lumi Member

Do keep in mind that this is not a sarcastic post. Riflemen are beat by other riflemen. It all boils down to gun and situation.

7. Alceister

Alceister Member

While I do welcome the introduction of the Scout Shotgun, Scouts do need some sort of long ranged weapon by necessity.

8. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I think that there are lots of people who believe that the entire scout class is a problem, not just the sniper. Something which is demonstrated in this thread as the sniper is not mentioned at all.

Removing the scout rifle will not remove those players, it will instead make them go riflemen and take the carbine/heavy rifle instead. It will not solve the sniping problem but merely move it onto another class.

Yes it does effect game play more, but does it push it in the correct direction? Also as I remarked above the sniping problem will not disappear.

I am not advocating sniping, I am merely opposing the shotgun on the basis that it will make the scout even more annoying and that it will not solve any problems.

Rifleman are a dedicated anti-infantry class, should they not have the edge over all classes in this area.

I really would like snipers to be useful in empires, however I do understand that that is not really possible. What I do believe though is that you will always get people who will try to snipe, and they will do this with whatever weapon best fits that role, be it scoped rifle/heavy rifle or carbine.

They will still have the options of smgs and pistols, it that respect they will be as decent at range as an engineer.

I am not opposed to either the removal of the scout rifle or the introduction of the shotgun on principle, however I do believe that they will achieve very little for the considerable amount of time it would take to implement. If you remove the sniper you should remove the binoculars as they will become even more useless than they already are and something will need to take their place.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

mowtars and other rifleman

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Not exactly... It's more like making the hull a few mill thicker. OK, it stills sinks in the end, but it's slower. So if we maybe add some better blast door segments, and a larger propeller, perhaps the titanic doesn't sink? Saying no to scout rifles, and keeping everything as is, well, you know you're going to sink. Maybe replacing with shotgun will help a bit, but ofc not completely. But it's getting there, and if the devs choose to do a phase over instead of a 1 stop reform, that's their choice. I think it would probably be better phasing over because bugs and unbalances tend to be less game breaking.

11. Lumi

Lumi Member

Give the scout a gun that looks like a pen. The enemy soldiers will think you are writing something, and then, you shoot them.

12. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I believe I have already addressed your point above, unfortunately it seems to have become lost in with my replies to other posters.

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

I don't believe in keeping Scout on par with Engineer insofar ranged damage is concerned. As I may or may have not said before, Engineer should exclusively get SMG2 while Scout has SMG1. I want to see the Engineer relegated more to the "intended" role of support than the general combat class it is now.

14. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Give him a laser marker. If he aim the laser at a location for 5 minutes the area is bombarded by off map artillery. Similar to the grenadiers artillery strike only the scout artillery bombarded a larger area.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I voted yes only under the condition that scout gets a bat, a Boston accent, and yells 'Bonk!' all the time.

16. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah cybers shotgun actually works out pretty well.

bam fire that in the next release (with a model i guess... argh) and try it out, at least then we'll see results not speculation.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why does the accuracy change when prone or standing etc? seems illogical since the spread of a cartouche should be set with a shotgun without looking weird

19. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

shotguns are nice for ambushes from behind, because you cannot really melee a target running in the same direction as you easily :(
    but shotgun bullets catch up to them :)

Another idea is to keep the scout rifle, the SMG1, and replace the SMG2 with the shotgun.

the reason that is ok for the scout shotgun to be better than the shotgun pistol is that the pistol is a secondary, so the primary can cover its long range weakness. the scout shotgun is their only real weapon minus their pistol, so they are mostly hopeless at range. (if they chose the shotgun)

I say keep the sniper rifle, because it is a useful gun when used right (as all guns are). Granted, it maintains the highest chance of being used incorrectly (by that, I mean with the smallest benefit to the team) due to the fact that it is a noob magnet and it should never be used from where a rifleman could easily get to. I use the scout rifle to sneak to a prosition where walls do not protect the enemy, then I pay close attention to identify who the revive engineers are, then kill them. Also, usually troops take a few bullets, run behind cover, and stand still to be healed. The small amount of damage that they took makes even long range headshots (which are really easy on stationary targets) simple finishing blows. Of course, this strategy only works if you have teammates that have the brunt of their attention, and if you have the patience to not draw too much attention to your self.

All of these are learned in due time for those who dabble in it. Two main things still must be understood: the scout rifle is not an assault weapon, it is a support weapon; And the scout is a support class, not an assault class. (the scout rifle and the shotgun are assassination/suppression weapons, which are support actions)

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Yes, thats why Scout rifle should have a bullet delay and bullet drop. It'll encourage taking out high priority targets.