Underground turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -Mayama-, Feb 22, 2008.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yes make the hatch the center of the object.

Wall damage reductions is a neat idea

Those turrets could be usefull even if the enemy gets he

But u need an animator + modeler for such a turret :(

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like this idea. One question tho... Can an engineer place this or is this a map only idea?

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think it would be a researchable item which only commander can place.

4. polaski

polaski Member

I also agree that only the comm should place it, seeing as the engi can place a lvl 3 almost anywhere like in windows, on rocks, the cat walks of crossroads. It would pretty much make it fair for the comm to have half invincable turrets compared to the engi's place any where you see fit thing.

5. ViroMan

ok... another question... How the F do you think the com is going to be able to place thies underground turrets in tunnels that com can't see?

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

How would you place any turrets in an underground tunnel that the com can't see?

Why would you want to put these turrets in tunnels?

This idea works for me as long as they have the draw back of taking 1-3 seconds to fully deploy, but while they are deploying they are vulnerable.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

comm cant place stuff only at places he can see

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Did you mean that commander can't place stuff to places where he can't see?

Because now you're saying that commander can't place things to places where he can see. :D

9. ViroMan

I would be cool with the game sensing where your trying to place the turret and changing the model to fit the location... say... your looking on the ground and itis a normal turret but you decide to be a tricky @ยงยง and make a wall turret, so you bring your aim up to the wall and the model changes to the one of the the wall turret. IMO wall/ceiling turrets should take 1 1/2 times longer to build since they are much more complicated and pain in the ass to kill AND they should be limited to lvl 2 at max if even that. lvl 3 wall turrets would make me have to go beat up baby kittens.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Than we need lvl3 wall turrets ^^

11. Vaun

Vaun Member

Heh, it could turn out like a war/sci fi movie: "its to quiet..." (random guy)-"great now were all gonna die" *click-click* "what the-" *machine guns/missiles open fire on the convoy* -ends with them dispersing and being picked off- Well hows that soung, and btw it activated because a jeep and/or noob walked in proximity of the guns.

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Vaun, could you please not revive all the threads in this forum? This is the second time you're doing it, it's not fun to see nor clean up.

13. Vaun

Vaun Member

Why leave them open if theyre not to be entered, might as well have guided tours of a condemned building to put it bluntly, sorry for opening old stuff, just try closing older threads.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Because reviving an old thread is encouraged if you have something new to contribute, and only then.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Hmm if not underground why not turrets that have some sort of shell like the
    armor of an armadillo. If its closed it looks like a half egg. By enemy conntact
    it folds its lamellaes and starts to shoot. It takes longer to lock on target but
    its very hard to kill from attackers that attack out of the turrets range.

16. ViroMan

That always did bug me. Place a MG turret and some engy comes along and nades it from a distance.

17. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I think that this was a good idea which quite a number of people seemed to miss the point of (i.e. thinking that it was a call for turrents to work underground, rather than just hiding when not in use). Mayama's variation is good too, but possibly harder to implement nicely

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

I don't think anyone thought that. I just don't want to be walking along and suddenly a turret comes out of nowhere and shoots me and I can't get away from it before it kills me. The only way I can describe that is 'not fun.'

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They aren't supposed to be hidden, just hard to kill unless you are within range.

Obviously there would need to be some way of making them balanced against infantry, perhaps seismic grenades would make them pop up and/or stun them.

20. Vaun

Vaun Member

Well theres an easy test: Take the ceiling turrets from hl2 and flip em over, then put em on the ground. The code needs to be modified for resistance and such, but thats the gist of it.