Will the UK liberate itself from EU slavery today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Jun 23, 2016.

?

Should the UK leave the EU?

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. YES!

87.5%
  1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ok, "cool". and whats the gain? what, aside of destroying a totally rational project because people dont undestand political economics, does this archieve?
    what now? whats the plan?

turn back time? become the empire again?

lol gl

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well...I didn't see that coming. Didn't really have much of an opinion either way, or rather I couldn't have said I honestly believed either decision was better than the other. EU has a lot of good stuff about it but there's no doubt it hasn't functioned properly over the past decade. I kind of hope it uses this as a wake-up call to get its shit back together, rather than leading to it fracturing further.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Inb4 scots secede and rejoin eu.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Cameron is resigning...

Hey we can at least say this decision lost one person his job.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Don't worry, the polit establishment will just organize another referendum, like they did in Ireland.

6. flasche

cameron didnt sound like.

also are you trying to tell me farage is not part of the establishment? cute ...

7. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Honestly this is Merkels fault. The U.K. should be in the EU and if she had handled the refugee crisis in a way that didn't scare everyone with "take all these refugees that we invited or we'll fine you" and hold herself hostage to Erdogan with Turkish visa-free travel, I seriously seriously doubt Leave would have gotten over 30%. Instead she's just turned the anti establishment candle into a bonfire and might have destroyed Europe in the process.

Here's hoping the UK stays united, keeps free travel to eu citizens in exchange for the single market, and then basically just becomes an EU country without the formality and obligations, and the EU stays united and backs off from the centralization to calm the tensions.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I hope this will lead to reformation in the EU itself.

9. McGyver

The most interesting question is now, what will happen if the UK actually prospers after exiting the EU?
    Nobody will believe the lies of economists and other establishment propagandists anymore. Sweden and Denmark were forecasted to be economic ruins because they rejected the Euro, but the opposite happened, they prosper while the Eurozone countries have to burn billions of taxpayer money to keep the Mediterranean economies from collapsing. The UK will show that you only need a common market in Europe, not a political union that only brings oppression, cultural and economic degradation until we are all on on level with Romania.

Denmark and Austria will be the two prime candidates that will leave the EU after a succesful Brexit and with every rich country leaving, the financial pressure on the remaining payers will increase.

The EU is a failed experiment by a corrupt political elite that dreamed of yet another tax payer funded cornucopia, this time in Brussels. It should have stayed just a common economic market, and not develop into an artificial nation state that nobody really loves.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

lol you are going to have terrorists from romania and greece bomb you and you wont have muslims to scapegoat this time

11. Z100000M

Hello Vladimir, hows your new dascha?

12. McGyver

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Finally we can start mining French fishing lanes again.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I am looking forward to the mandatory bunting and a triumph motorcycle in every driveway, with side car.

15. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

What a stupid fucking dump of a country, tiny minded and gullible bigots; worst of all are the lazy assholes who didn't up to vote, 30% didn't show up to the most important vote of their lifetimes that was decided by less than 4%.

1. Move to Scotland.
    2. Wait for inevitable referendum.
    3. Receive automatic citizenship as a former UK resident living in Scotland.
    4. Rejoin EU.
    5. Revoke English citizenship.
    6. Laugh at the dumb cunts while they enjoy their Tories.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

What do you mean? leave won... the people with tiny short term ideas lost... what are you up about?

17. Z100000M

Do you get a free kilt to go with the citizenship?

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I think it's really shown the deficiencies in our political discourse. It's a very divisive issue but neither side did a great job of addressing the opposing issues, fearmongering abounds and whatever side of the fence you sat on people were just driven away by the state of the debate.

I'm sure there are plenty of people having second thoughts but what really counts now is what we do going forward. I'd love to think millennials will actually get themselves to the voting booths and we'll see a shift towards the center left but I can't subscribe to all the doomsayers. I've been out in the square mile today - wasn't quite what I expected given the reporting.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be shit for a while.

19. flasche

20. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I mean Brexit was retarded and EU was the only thing holding this shithole together.
    Aye. Also my girlfriend already plays bagpipes and I actually buy and eat haggis anyway. We're already pretty much naturalized.

A-z-K likes this.