Will Scotland liberate itself from English tyranny?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 12, 2014.

?

Independent Scotland?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2014.
  1. Yesh!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Nosh!

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the queen "is german" they only changed their name because of ww1

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You forgot the inbred part.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Anyone else love how the UK is constantly about to fracture? If it's not the IRA, it's these scotland shenanigans.

I mean, the US has 5 times as many people spread across 40x more area and yet it has absolutely no problems staying together. Yes, Texas is constantly pretending that it wants to secede, but that's basically a part of its identity at this point.

I think our friends in the UK need to learn how 2 patriotism from their big brother across the pond. Nobody patriotisms harder than Murica.

4. Z100000M

US citizens do not have a like a thousand year old history of rivalry.
    They are also more or less of the same culture.

Also what was confederacy. What is moron Utah stuff I kept hearing about. No problems whatsoever.

5. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

That's because American national identity is manufactured therefore even across the board, there's no real difference in cultural background (besides people pretending they're Irish/Dutch/etc)* whereas in the UK there's centuries of history, mainly old grudges. That said, I'd say California sticks out like a sore thumb, it'd do well to leave the other shitbags behind.

Also, compared to mainland Europe, our borders are pretty damn stable: click

*This is not having a go at the USA, don't get pissy, this is just me stating the facts as I see them.

6. Z100000M

I can't imagine any of the states seceding now really. I dont think USA would like an independent and armed country right in its face. They would find oil somewhere in there soon.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Not an acomplishement on a little island at the edge of Europe.

Also, Poland-Lithuania wtf.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. Z100000M

What about it?
    The taking Moscov part?
    Kinda twice?

If anything, the state to northern italy and anything german ever.

Also apparently Poland was restored in 1910. Yep, totally accurate. Yep.

The fucking sync is atriocious. Hitler knocking on Moscovs gates in 1945. Uh-huh.

Red Army takes Berlin bravely in 1958 and WW2 ends after like fucking 20 years of conflict.

Jesus. I can understant little hiccups in pre 19century history but this is fucking abominable.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Europe, lrn 2 manufacture national identity

yeah but island

That word...

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Interesting choice of music.

The american identity was built by people who wanted to escape from European drama, not to mention the enforcement of religion.

All of our problems stem from pure greed instead of political discord, and I would argue that the European drama is a good thing because everyone on that side of the planet is competing on who is better.

While we have no competition over here because everyone is basically slaves to us south of the border, so we are competing in these sub factions on who can make more money.
    Its entirely a business nation because of that it's easier to declare war than keep fragile treaties and tip toe around for centuries. Ignore spartacus he is apart of the problem.
    Not to mention we "had" a good track record by making money off wars.

11. Z100000M

Its really funny hearing that from a burger.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The United States has no national Identity. We ignore our past, and pretend that we are perfect. one of these days we'll grow the fuck up, but not today. Not, at least, until we push for WWIII

13. Space_Oddity

Actually I was referring to the drug-free, Christian, nuclear family with eerily white teeth. All the 'In God We Trust' stuff that was press by the govt. of the fifties following WW2. Britain still has the leftover jingoism from a dying empire.
    I never said it was an achievement.
    Thank you for picking over my post for the misuse of any literal meanings, it was helpful and informative for all of us.

14. BigTeef

You mean Mormons?

15. Space_Oddity

Pretty much, yeah.

Also : this.

16. BigTeef

I wish this was still a thing.

The 50's were hot shit.
    Minus all the bigotry.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

All my Scottish friends want to secede. It is absolute torture having this stuff come up every couple days and excusing myself from conversations so I don't look autistic.
    Great Britain shouldn't be divided. Hell, I still have hope that the Union with Ireland Act will be reinstated one day. The Isles speak English but are British, with each country making up a distinct identity.
    Currently, nationalist British fervor is low because there are no real concerns and everyone has money. But sooner or later real threats will return to the world, like the Chinese, the French or the Russians. Or the French.

Anyway this feels more and more like a rant but as a half Englishman half Scot colonist of the greatest empire ever, I really hope there are enough old Scots voting no that the United Kingdom stays united.

18. Z100000M

I dont share the sentiment.
    Whats with the imperium mentality.

19. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I'll assume you mean 'mentality'. I'm a history lover, and when we were a part of the British Empire literally no nation could withstand us. We did some shit stuff out of envy, sure, like absolutely destroy Germany to the point where it will never recover, but we were still #1.

Then a bunch of dicks had to go and ruin everything. Thanks Churchill. The Suez crisis was the final nail in the coffin of the Empire. Even today, I go to my Law lectures and here my professors ramble on about how Republicanism will turn Australia into a better nation, and how 'breaking the final ties of Anglecism' is a positive thing.

Let me go full retard here; a union of Canada, Great Britain (including Ireland), Australia and New Zealand would make me really happy. Sure, maybe it's stupid to have faith in the concept of extra-territorial nationalism, but that's the way it is as a colonist.

20. BigTeef

Yeah, sorry about the whole iron curtain thing.

I can't image what it was like to live under the Warsaw pact.

I was strictly referring to the professionalism of the 50's and the constant progress.