Will Scotland liberate itself from English tyranny?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 12, 2014.

?

Independent Scotland?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2014.
  1. Yesh!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Nosh!

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

On the 18th of September the Scots decide if they want to stay as a part of the United Kingdom or if they become an independent, free country. The polls show that the decision will be pretty close, most show a majority for the status quo.

Why anyone would want to be a slave of a corrupt monarchy with their anti-democratic voting system, their centralism and their Tricksters is beyond me.

[​IMG]

I say, the more independent countries we have in Europe the better.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

So, what about the union and un and nato and all that jazz? Will scotty have to ratify everything from the ground up?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Pretty much. There's talk that if they get independence, they'll be told they can't have the British pound. Say what you want about it, but the Pound is a really strong currency to have.

That poster McGyver posted is pretty bias in itself. Scotland generally costs more than it brings in to the UK as a whole. They're basing a lot of their shit on getting all the oil in the North Sea that currently belongs to the UK. Thing is, unlike Norway, we weren't smart about our oil and we've taken most of it out and spent all the money. The amount of oil left is going to be 30 years at the absolute maximum, and it'll still be going downhill up until that point. Once the oil goes, they're pretty fucked. Most of the Scottish guys I work with are desperately hoping they don't get independence.

HAVING SAID THAT, if they did get it, it'd hammer the value of the Pound pretty heavily, which would make everyone who works abroad from the UK but still living in the UK rich as fuck.

4. Z100000M

I wonder, I bet that the royals still title themselves as owners of scotland right?
    So what happens if scotty gets total independance? Surely they will do away with that part then?

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

aye, I don't care about me independence, all I want ta do is take a fot shet in yer toilet

6. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Probably not I would imagine it would be something similar to Canada / Australia but I'm not 100%

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mostly this is the fault of politicians who just don't get it. There's a lot of suppression with the way things are. We don't learn the other languages of the isles, aren't even given the option in England, and we don't go enough into the history. Sure Wales still has its language, but Ireland and Scotland? I've never heard either of their languages.

It's also not right to run those countries from London. They're far removed and should have their own governance.

That being said, I really don't want them to leave. I don't really mind about the upheaval but it would leave a really big hole in the union, which is really central to a lot of people's identities. We aren't that "Great" apart, but together we're a decent force, full of a history of passion, honour, innovation, imagination and deep culture.

It's sad that we're at the point where people want to break away because they haven't been given consideration.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Scottish people only want Independence because they liked Braveheart.

9. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

At work so watch this space.

Also the line of royals we have we the monarchs of Scotland before England.

Also the only people who give a fuck about the the royal family are American.

10. McGyver

So what happened in Braveheart?

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Scottland sweet talked the queen of england, fucked her and ended with scottlands bastard son on the throne. the queen is french btw.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am going to disagree on that, the people who care about your royal family seem to be Australians or Australian Americans.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

cue in The Hundred Years War when the French throne had a succession crisis and there was English clay in France.

14. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

idk I don't watch Mel Gibson stuff.
    I was being facetious but the american coverage of that wedding was still hilarious.

The Queen will still be Queen of Scotland because Scotland will still be commonwealth and she inherits the title from James I. Either way, the Queen wants fuck all to do with it as she doesn't matter any more.

Scottish independence would be nice but it isn't economically viable, or so all the people who aren't frothing at the mouth are saying, because their economy is based on finite resources (and whisky). They will immediately inherit a fuckton of debt, be forced to take on the Euro or some other peasant currency, 'their' oil will run out, they will suddenly realize that they have to pay their own god damn fucking tuition fees and that the United Kingdom was only created because it was the easiest fucking thing to do at the time.

People who vote yes to independence are ineducated, selfish fuckwits who are exactly why democracy is a terrible idea.

15. Z100000M

HUGE GUTS!

16. Z100000M

Is there a reason why scots and posh couldn't still have an economic union? Id imagine they would be unwilling to go with euro. And scottish pound sounds as ridiculous as australian dollar. Would probably fare just as well too.

17. McGyver

The scots could just join the EFTA and get access to the all European markets. Or they could join EU which would force them to accept the euro and lose all their independence to Brussels instead of losing it to London. :rolleyes:

18. Z100000M

I can't reallz tell if zou are serious when talking about loosing independence or just poking casual fun at euro union

19. McGyver

2/3 of local laws and regulations of member states are decided in Brussels. That's what I mean with losing independence.

20. Z100000M

Meh, besides some really stupid restrictions (vacuum cleaner power? All the lights must be those sickly white ones? Maximum milk production?) I couldnt give less shit. Its not as much loosing independence as it is exchanging a part of it for security and stability. Its seriously the same deal as with personal rights vs state laws and benefits, just on larger scale.