Why?

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodRaven, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sanitarium

sanitarium Member

Research, drop buildings, glance around your bases to watch for sabs... all that takes only a few seconds. Everything else is done over the mic (pointing out enemy locations, herding nubs in the right direction).

What else is there to do as comm (again, unless you're going to boomtank)?

2. FN198

FN198 Member

assigning targets might have been a chore for some...
    but telling people what to shoot at and where is much more painful.

the ability to assign targets actually gave commanders less work to do in terms of being useful. like sanitarium said, 'noob herding' is what targets used to do, and now with the removal of targets, responsible commanders need to be constantly abusing their microphone to relay important information that was previously efficiently and effectively conveyed through the use of targets.

3. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I do this.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

because they where wallhacks that you couldnt lose no matter what you did. they even worked when you where targeted before using hide as scout.
    i think infantry and tank combat did improve significantly now since smart movement lets you get in the back of your enemy. you even just can prone still and ppl run by you because they are unattendive. its not targets fault that so many that play this games have ADHS, try ritalin maybe?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. sanitarium

sanitarium Member

You know what they need to remove... all buildings showing enemy infantry on the minimap. I used to be pretty good at ninja'ing the CV, but it's really not possible anymore now that all buildings reveal your position.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

Removal of commander targets allowed the infantry weapons (read: rifleman lasers) to be buffed to a level of effectiveness like 2.12 without turning the game into a mindless red diamond clicker.

Commander should still be able to assign individual targets, but mass targets is dumb for gameplay.

Besides, if you have a competent squad leader, commander doesn't have to micromanage infantry combat.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i couldnt agree more, though i think the radar should still act as a camera to make it not necessary for the comm to place his own ...

8. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Targets were terrible, theres no reason to reintroduce it to give comm something to do. Theres nothing worse than a mortar flying into you from someone who never even sore you. It literally destroys any infantry game-play by removing surprises. I really never realized how ridiculous targets were until they got removed and infantry combat got so much more challenging. Cameras are enough wallhax thank you very much. Also targets made everyone focus on killing enemy infantry, less players would destroy the enemy barracks or buildings.

There is no need for any change, if commanders want to mark targets you just give location targets and tell them what the enemy is doing. It may be tedious, but it's something for comms to do if they haven't got anything else on their mind.

Also yes autospot fails, and is the real thing that Mootant should be considering scrapping.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I honestly couldn't agree more with the last 4 posts. I do hate autospotting more than the old targets though.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Autospotting is such a strange thing to have in this game, it's basically active radar. I'd suggest either whenever an enemy shoots they pop up on the minimap or people should use cameras more often, but to be show on the minimap at all times, and I remember when 2.26 came out and you could see the whole minimap because the range was something like 1000 units or w/e it was.

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

There certainly are things to do, but there aren't enough of them. Things that never used to be done are now done, simply to fill the time.

Autospotting is one of the worst additions to Empires. Stealth attacks by any class except for scout are basically impossible, and having everything show on the minimap, which it effectively does seeing as buildings are almost everywhere, removes the fog of war.

12. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

lol, 2.26 was the whole reason i took a 3 month break from this game, all you needed to do was place a few armories and you could monitor the entire enemy team. Arty players must have loved that.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Same pretty much.