Why we play Empires: The epic game

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, May 29, 2009.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Why do we keep playing Empires after fail games? For the 1 in 100 games, that are, simple put, priceless.

This is the first epic game I've participated in since 2.2 came out.

Map Details
    • Crossroads
    • BE Comm: Scardy
    • NF Comm: Dawgas
    Teams
    • BE
      • ScardyBob (Comm)
      • VooDoo (Highest Score)
      • Recon
      • Merle
      • Tanstaafl
      • yoboo
      • Muerte - RunOrDie
      • SnakeSVx
      • ShadowDancer
      • rxn
      • DoS The Iorn Medic
      • Merddyn
      • mikro
      • Shep
      • Daywalker Texas Ranger
      • Tacoberry
    • NF
      • Dawgas (Comm)
      • Communism (Highest Score)
      • Andronicus
      • Theslan
      • Fishman
      • Japy
      • nvrsaydie
      • Alberico
      • Bloodpickle
      • k_guy
      • Mr. Roblcopter
      • Darkwolf535
      • DeltaNoLube
    There were other members of NF, but those were the only ones left at the end that made my screenshot.

Map Breakdown

We were on crossroads, and almost everyone rushed the enemy mid ref side (instead of the side where our ref is). About 10 minutes later, we lost one side of mid, and the other followed shortly afterwords.

During that time, our commander, ScardyBob, researched paper artys, which pretty much kept the enemy team from building much in middle.

After we lost several arty tanks to LTs and stickies, we lost mid completely.

A huge wall maze was constructed on the D side. 4+ engineers were constantly building throughout the rest of the map to keep the wall maze up.

NF researched heavies, and started spamming our walls with MLs. Our engineers held out and kept the walls up.

A while after the wall maze was constructed (about 10 minutes), NF researched nukes.

Tickets dropped to the single digits for both teams, and BE's dropped to zero. BE pulled together and kept almost everyone alive with revs.

ScardyBob kept researching (we ended up with heavies, artys, meds, DU, Reflective (I think), regen, adv coolant, bio engine, fission or gas turbine).

We had several heavies in our base, keeping NF out, but we weren't really pushing them back (I think).

The enemy team researched artys, and started shelling our base.

At that point, ScardyBob decided to recycle the walls on the side with the least tanks (D side), and rush all of our 10 vehicles (including the CV) to the enemy base.

We rolled through middle pretty easily, and deconstructed their ramp. ScardyBob walled in the NF CV, and most of us made it in behind him with heavy tanks to finish the enemy CV.

We won the game.

It was intense, highlighted the pinnacle of Empires teamwork, and was a lot of fun.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. Alceister

Alceister Member

I keep playing so that I can keep suggesting on the forums with reasonable justification. Suggesting is a hobby.

3. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

I play because when teamwork actually happens, I end up only having a continual lust for more.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I left about a quarter of the way through that game because I was bored.

5. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

and to think, I lost because I went to build a tank like a fucking idiot

also, i got my radar up before yours, instead of being a fucking retard and bothering to put a barracks up on both sides

my research path was

Elec -> level 2 turret -> level 3 turret -> reactive -> mech -> gas turbine -> chem -> warheads -> UML -> upgraded chassis -> apc spawn -> adv chassis -> heavies -> i think composite then homing then nukes then ranged then arty god i forget

and yes, that game sucked and went on way too fucking long

shit, crossroads is a boring ass map

also, the only reason the game could be called epic was because we never went into sudden death because SUDDEN DEATH IS FUCKING TERRIBLE FUCK WORST FUCKING IDEA EVER FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfff WHY HASN'T SOMEBODY WITH FORESIGHT REMOVED IT YET IT JUST MAKES GAMES LONGER NOT SHORTER

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How exactly does sudden death make games longer?

If you mean it just causes people to recycle raxes before they reach zero I remind you that before sudden death that exact same situation occured after you reached zero tickets.

7. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

yeah, but now you have to do it otherwise the game just goes to shit its still a terrible idea

mind you they were artying our main at that time somehow it would have hit 0 tickets so the game would have ended all boring like even though then we'd be off crossroads so it'd still be a win for me

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How does 'you have to choose to do it' differ greatly from 'the game does it for you'?

Sudden death adds the possibility that it won't end in a five hour stalemate, and in the event that it does it will have begun sooner and therefore finished sooner, still making the game shorter.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah for someone using my name on NF...

10. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

Sometimes, if your team is trapped in your main, you can allow it to go to sudden death and break through the enemy line at the last second to gay the enemy comm with one standard cannon shell.
    We also had one game where FN sprinted all the way across the map using rifleman charge and stickied the enemy comm, winning the game.

Other than that sudden death sux.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Everytime a game goes into sudden death (or ticket bleed on district) i feel cheated.

12. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

same, if i'm alive.

it's worse for newbies because they die as soon as the game hits zero tickets and they have to just wait. and they don't know about telling people where they are to get revived, or joining squads with points... so it doubly sucks.

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

well, they can always read the manual, you know

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't mind sudden death. I would say about your rage post Dawgas, that it just shows even if you think the round sucks ass, someone is still getting enjoyment from it. Probably won't make you feel any better though.

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

I rage when tickets on both teams hit 0 on any map.

On infantry maps this means that the game turns or has long since turned into revive wars. On classic maps, it means the game goes into sudden death and even though you've managed to effectively corner the enemy, some lone rifleman manages to sticky you into oblivion just as the timer hits 0.

RAGEEEEEEEEEEEE

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Nice raeg :)

I decided to try something new and rushed paper arty. That nearly lost us the game, but I had enough competent arty drivers to hold you at bay until we got a sufficient amount of heavies. Once you also went arty, I knew it was time to rush :)

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I've rushed paper arty on that map before, and to a pretty good effect. targets + arty, with infantry protecting the arty and gradually pushing up got us middle. when they finally got meds with HE (i think the enemy went turrets first), we just wallspammed the middle untill we had heavies. worked nice.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

the problem with such epic ending games is that they are a boredom fest most of the time..

19. communism

communism poof

Was a fun match, until sudden death. BE was able to just wall spam constantly. We couldn't decon since arty was shelling and even with 5 nuke tanks spamming a side...the walls wouldn't go down. Was a good game though, just the map ruined it for me

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Just an FYI: The game NEVER entered sudden death.

BE went to zero tickets, so NF could've easily entered SD.

There were lots of decon attempts, but 4 engineers were on the other side constantly repairing.

The nukes made it a little bit harder to keep the walls up, but we made it.

The best option for you guys would've been to enter SD and get a scout in through the upper path on the D side. You could've retreated out of middle, we would've taken it, and you could've turned the tables, and maybe, the match (although, our artys would probably destroy your base first).