Why play balanced games???

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Jäger

Jäger Member

spec is an admins best friend though.

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

that made me lol, i dont know why.

anyway, my absolute requirement is that I have at least ONE other competent person on my team, or else nothing gets done. If that's stacking on that PARTICULAR game because there's NO ONE else competent, then so be it. But if there are more people who are responsive, more non-idiots, then I'm with you 100%.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Playing on an incompetent team is only a problem if the enemy team is better.

Although I would suggest that if incompetence is such a problem, the game needs changing to fix that.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Actually one of very few things in empires that never gets old is a chat in spec.
    If spec's are vets then its usully epic lulz. Unlike removing the scunt rifle that would make only newbs quit, removing spec would be quite stupid, because it would make vets quit, which is bad. Well you can remove the spec idm, but i think that making something like "spec slots" that would make spec not to reserve slots (with a limit of course), would be a better idea.

Edit:

Jager is right, removing spec would "hurt" admins.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

most anyoing persons are those wanna be veterans with mics that
    behave as they know everything but dont have a real clue and
    because they have a mic most people follow their orders and dont
    listen to the commander or other people with more understanding how
    empires works, that can be very frustraiting

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I'm glad someone finally made a thread about this! Now we just need to sit back and watch the problem disappear..

And maybe you could make a thread about keeping the scout rifle in too.

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Well, someone make a server script to make spectator admin-only then. Because last time I tried to make a server script it failed epicly.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Sorry are you really suggesting that it's a good thing when people prefer to use the game as a chat room rather than a game?

9. communism

communism poof

Remove spec if you want but I'm sure your server will lose alot of traffic

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I use spec to see what team needs my help.

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

If there are enough experienced players in the server, it doesn't matter. Usually there aren't. And when on earth did I say it was just clans? The expert pubers who do it are just as bad. Do you think anyone likes getting stuck on the team of idiots? You are so selfish. If all the expert players played on the same team, all the new players would just leave the MOD after a few days. Then we'd just be left with all the expert players, and we could play fair games. 5 on 5. That sure sounds like fun. NOT.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  12. vrooom

vrooom Member

You can still stack without spec. Hit the little X on the choose your team window, and wait for people to join the teams. Removing spec will only make this the method of choice for stackers.

tl;dr it's possible to stack without spectator, so you're only hurting those who use spectator for it's proper use.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then remove team change, spectator, and the confirmation screen, just assign people to a team when they connect.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  16. vrooom

vrooom Member

Well that's definitely a solution. Although it sucks that you have to compromise the ability to choose your team for fair games.

Maybe there could be a timer that chooses your team for you after a certain amount of time, so you don't get a chance to check who's on what team, but if you want to play a specific team, you still get a chance to pick. Just a thought :D

17. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Because if the team or the commander is acting stupid, we move to the other team. Simple as that.

18. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Yeah, Jephir added another reason your list: crap commanders/team members who don't know how to change class. Do you realise how frustrating and pointless it is to be on a team full of tits? I'll admit I've switched teams solely because of that very reason. And then I suppose this then leads to your 'Reason #2'.

Maybe if new players didn't have to learn the hard way by playing online and getting owned and shouted at because they don't know what to do then Empires can look forward to having a larger, smarter playerbase and less teamstacking. Yes okay, there are detailed manuals/instructions/tips on how to play Empires, but sometimes the player needs to be forced to learn how to play. Would a tutorial level be that hard to create?

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There is not a significant difference between playing BE and playing NF, players have no significant reason to want to choose teams except because they want to stack.

I don't know why games like TF2 even have a team choosing button by default. Obviously you might want to keep it in for clan matches but it should be disabled by default and only enabled by people who really want it, if you make it disabled by default you will hammer it into people's heads that this is better most of the time, and then people will do it of their own volition, while the clan games will remain unaffected.

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Team switchers are the worst.