Why don't YOU test?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mashav, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Why don't YOU test?

1. The SVN is too much of a hassle.

25.0%
  2. The Timing doesn't work for me.

25.0%
  3. The notification of tests is inefficient.

13.5%
  4. The devs don't listen to my feedback.

19.2%
  5. No one else shows up, so I don't come.

15.4%
  6. I'm busy at the start of a test, then its over before I get there.

15.4%
  7. My rl is busy at the moment.

17.3%
  8. I am physically/technically/medically/otherly unable to test.

7.7%
  9. Its not important enough/It doesn't matter to me.

19.2%
  10. Other.(see my post)

26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Omneh

Omneh Member

This.

6char

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

my comp can't run empires atm

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if after 10 minutes of monitoring the testing server there are still less then 5 people inside i don't bother joining it

testing needs to be reformed a bit, in fact a lot about empiresmod seems in need of reforming

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What if the shitload of people here on this forum that don't actually play the real game should go test (the people that don't already test).

edit: Would it speed up downloading the whole svn by dumping the empires files into there? I put in materials, maps, and resource, but I don't know if dumping the WHOLE folder does anything.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

svn always crashes for me and i tried a million times to fix it, but having to restart it over and over made me give up

I know theres a good reason why you moved away from the rc's that were used pre 2.0, but I cant remember what it is. I found those rc's to be way easier on the client.

also a monthly limit on my usage doesnt help, I think the last time I tried I gave up when I saw the size of what I was downloading

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

I don't play empires/games anymore and at best lurk the forums, so why should I care for testing?

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

[​IMG]

What is this shit the svn has ceased to work, talking about the thing being "finished" and having to run cleanup command! IT SOLVED NOTHING.

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I get the same thing.

9. War Man

War Man Member

Rather it worked as a separate mod instead of using SVN, not much time at the moment, and I think the devs have ignored any suggestions even good ones.

10. Minozake

Minozake Member

svn is being too much of a hassle. My Windows TortoiseSVN client decided it was going to quit downloading. My *nix doesn't have enough space, and this shouldn't be too hard to fix, but another issue is fixing my Windows+*nix dual-boot where I have actual disk space, and I am incompetent when it comes to not git.

I'm wondering how often svn changes, though. If it isn't too often, branch and tar up that branch and distribute? It would be massively faster than checking out svn. Also, torrents.

The main problem is I'm too lazy to devote a half hour to four or more hours to making any svn frontend work. Fixing svn checkout is not my cup of tea. I understand a non-centralized vcs is probably not going to work at all, though, because of binary locks, and there's probably not a good reason to devote resources to a move.

11. Opie

Opie Member

The correct answer was #4

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Steam content server wouldn't hurt. :)

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Hope that's a hint at something.

I've given up. It was fun while it lasted. I, personally, don't care for the game anymore. It takes a hour to play a good game and be happy with it or 10 minutes to play a shitty rage filled game or a noob crushing game with no satisfaction. In either case, I don't have the time to play the game, don't care for the development at this point and have no intention of continuing to play in the future.

Last time I joined a test with other people in it I got trolled while trying to get feedback about a couple of maps.

There were a handful of people in empires besides the devs that cared about the development, but most seemed to have stopped caring due to the frustrations of not being given the tools to create anything for the mod.

And by that I mean Map entity support and Script manifest support. Rather than give us those 2 things, you withhold and decide that it's up to 2 people to balance a game no one can agree on theoretically and we can't get enough people to test. The only way to test the game balance is by playing full length matches with full teams with people on both teams actually playing a normal game. The best way to do this is to let one of the current populated servers to run their own scripts. The only way a server can run it's own scripts is if you make the manifest so that all of the scripts match.

No offense, but the whole reason behind not giving us script manifest, whatever it was, is now moot point now that everything is broken anyhow, and anyone who could be fucked to try and figure the issues out can't actively test anything easily because there is no simple way for people to share scripts without a ton of hassle, and then having to host a server with said scripts.

And now no one that did care gives a fuck any more. You lost the best chance at fixing empires by withholding the manifest. Great Success.

Also, if it wasn't withheld, but rather was not working, then I'm sorry for throwing the hate at the people who made that decision. But even an insecure script manifest that would allow the main servers to edit the scripts for testing would have been nice.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you really don't feel like reading that, heres what he's saying:
    GIVE US SCRIPT MANIFEST DAMMIT!

another thing that relates to what he's saying - all the people that are still on this forum that don't actually play Empires Mod/care should just leave. there isn't much of a point of your staying here, especially that the black hole is gone. I am not pointing that at you metal smith because you are probably complaining of the extremely inactive people who are still part of the communty, and that partly makes you want to leave.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Script manifest would be nice. And the movement of as much codebased stuff to scripts as well.

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

What the mod also could use is a bit:

"Today I worked on, today I drank coffee". Make this your personal blog devs. Whoever you are.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So we can tell what's happening.

18. communism

communism poof

opieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

There is one, which I suggested 2 years ago. Maybe the devs aren't doing anything, so they don't update it?

20. Opie

Opie Member

To be honest, if I was a dev, it would seem like a huge waste of time to me.