Why do people want to make this like battlefield?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lynx, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hamster, I agree with you again. You appear to be on a roll.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Those things don't make the game easier to learn, just easier to do.

3. Trickster

They add more depth to the game. We have directional armour, a variety of weapons, engines, all of which add to strategy and tactics. In any BF game, or UT3, it's just a stock tank. Just simply hull hp, a cannon and a set speed. That's why Empires is better.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

There doesn't seem to be a problem with how it is now, and I like using my weapon of choice as opposed to some other player. some people like to use a nuke and a bio mg for example, others like to use double homing salvo and DU mg or whatever tech peeps have. It's what makes Empires different, than most mods, why should we change it.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Apart from reflective (which is broken and no one actually knows 100% how everything works). All of this "depth" is entirely commander based(what to research to counter what). Which puts the fun of 10-20 players on the shoulders of one player.

Why not make commander funner to play with more active rolls like arty strikes/health/ammo blah blah blah.

Not saying that there shouldn't be some depth to research but as it currently is its mostly just confusing for new players and doesn't add much depth for your average player.

Game should be about how well you drive your tank with some MARGINAL benefits from research and whatnot. Not how well your comm researches and how you build your tank with some MARGINAL benefits with how well you drive it.

To me current tank combat is more like the latter because of how slow the tank battles are and because of heat and engineers ability to repair their tanks in the field so easily.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be depth to the game but "depth" just for the sake if it doesn't make a good game. TBH if empires had tanks that played like BF2 tanks it would be a WAY better game.

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

That is debatable. Par standard equipment, a better tank driver would win against an enemy tank driver with the same tank class.

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The idea I was proposing at the time of the conversation was to remove armor and engines and replace them with a modules system that would allow commanders to choose modifications and players to equip them on modules. Engine and armor effects would essentially be combined, allowing more customization.

8. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

I just read that and I'm like IT'S PICKLED !! HAHA

9. Lynx

Lynx Member

1. sorry for the late response

2. I dont think it was you because I was muted on the entire server so clearly it was an admin, my friend was with me and conferred this. (it seems lots of people think like you)

3. Thank you for explaining that side of the arguement, when presented like this I do agree about fixing some of the more broken parts.

10. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

Go play BF if u dont like Emp
    No one wants you here anyway...

Nice Threats on the Internetz too
    By Dev he means hes a Scripter....
    So not alot of people can open notepad and type some cool numbers. (OH and of course making sure its BALANCED)

BTW Pickled have YOU done anything usefull since u have been on the Dev Team?
    Havent heard or seen much...

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

He's made a particle pack that lots of people use and I think he is the person who made the current scripts. Plus tur bro jeeps.

12. Trickster

Not to be an asshole to Pickled, but it's really just an edit of Empty's particles (deleting the smoke). Current scripts are Dizzyone/Me, Turbojeeps take about 30 seconds to do. Having said that, I use said particles, so I do appreciate the work. But next release has some Pickled changes in I think, so I guess that's related.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

turbro jeep bro

14. Trickster

Mine is better :3

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I always think of empires as a more complex version of battlefield with RTS elements instead of capturing flags. Unless its a conquest map which kind of defeats the main point of the mod imo.

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

oh sure forget me and drag

17. Trickster

I meant the changes between 2.24d -> 2.25. Yours/Drags changes were pre 2.24d.

18. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

I Think Saunders beat you there....
    He did it in 18 seconds while High and APC's in about 14

You let a pothead beat you :o

19. Trickster

All you do is uncomment it. If you use the default values, you can do it in about 2 seconds. If you decide to change the values, obviously it takes longer. Also, both Pickled and I like that stuff, but it doesn't mean we have to publicise it and make a clan/server out of it and go on and on and on about it. It's pretty pathetic. Oh, and I showed Saunders how to do it (via Moojuice).

20. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I lol'd