Why do people want to make this like battlefield?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lynx, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Lynx

Lynx Member

I hang out on spec a lot and Iv noticed this topic keeps coming up. Theirs always 1 guy who wants to scrap the whole armor/engine/weapon system on vehicles and just make them all standard with good models.

I tried asking someone who was practically mic spamming this why exactly this would be a good idea and wouldn't it destroy the small amount of strategy in this game. Turns out he was a admin and muted me then went on to say that the dev team needs a "grand philosopher king" (im not joking) to shut people like me up and to make all the devs support this idea. Needless to say this has kinda tainted my opinion but I would like to know.

Why would removing the research tree from the game be a good thing?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

just to tell you something, that guy is an idiot and abuses his admin too much. is his name lawliet per chance?

I've never heard complaining about all that you said on this forum, I think it was just an individual.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If it's Lawliet, then I'm sincerely disappointed in him.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

because i liked battlefield goddammit

5. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If you're who I think you are:

That was me, by the way, and I muted you because you were spouting nonsense. This is doubly true because I was not an admin and didn't gag or mute you in the game - I simply clicked on your name on a list so I wouldn't have to put up with your garbage. You were never gagged or muted by an admin. I'm not actually an admin - I'm a developer, which is far worse as far as you're concerned.

Yes, I want to scrap the entire armor/engine/weapon system. The UI needs to be redesigned, and the current system is a hodgepodge of broken garbage and weird armor modifiers that don't even do what they're intended to most of the time.

Yes, I want one person to be in charge of everything. Even if that person had some ideas that ran contrary to my own, it would be far better for the future of this mod if one person with a comprehensive vision ran the show.

As far as the point about removing research, well, I never said that, and I'm warning you that lying about someone to defame them, particularly a developer, is not a good idea if you want to have a future with this community.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Man don't you every change topic once in a while, you always talk about tech and research. well unless if it's related to wikipedia or pickles.

7. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Falling for pickled's trolls is not a good idea if you want to have a future with this community.
    (don't worry he doesn't have any real power anyway)

8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Banned

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

made a thread about a person you thought was just an admin talking about some aspect of empires?

:o

on a side note:

Armor and engines might be okay to remove at some point. They are broken now in the svn, and the modifiers never seem to do what they are supposed to exactly. I would say that most of us could live if we could only choose the weapon of a tank, and the tank had no armor, just health.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It kind already is like battlefield, it's basically a battlefield port to source with a building mechanic thrown in. Probably comes from being based on the battlefield engine to begin with.

11. Krazer

Krazer Member

I disagree with this. Even though the armors and engines* don't work as intended, playing the game without them would be extremely boring.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  12. OuNin

OuNin Member

yeah, i only played empires because it was essentially a free battlefield game.

13. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

(don't worry he doesn't have any real power anyway)

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Oh, I guess this thing still works.

15. communism

communism poof

bwahahaha

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Pickled...I am proud.

Having said that, I'd fucking hate for armour/engines to be removed.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

shhhh, you mustn't tell them

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah if you took out research, then, the only rts element would be placing buildings and giving targets, one less thing to make people play commander.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

He didn't say anything about removing research. He said getting rid of armor and engines which I actually really like.

This has always been a game that needs to be more simplified. This would be a step towards that. Stuff like refitting on repair pads is retarded. Why not make it so you go pick a tank, press build and bam you have a tank that is fitted with what the comm has researched. No more noobs asking why they can't make a tank.

This gives the comm a simple(see blizzards overly complicated comm tank customization suggestion) way to decide what tanks his team puts out. No more noobs making paper nuke heavy's, less time in VF customizing and more time on the field killing shit.

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

VF customization time is too short to be considered a issue. The time spent in tanks already far outclock the time spent customizing tanks. A lot of people even doe it while they are dead or while they are running in the VF.
    That being said, there are a lot of little make sense UI changes that can expedite the process as well as make it more intuitive.
    Some of these are:

~Make armor and weapons be able to drag over previous armors and weapons. Currently you have to drag the old equipment off then put on the new one.
    ~Have the standard tank model automatically equip either the highest researched equipment or latest researched equipment. Any incompatibilities or user preferences can be edited; but from a more updated core.

Commanders can always lock the VF and build tanks themselves if noobs are building paper heavies or you really want players out in tanks.