Why do I have to crouch to fire the Mortar?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by aaaaaa50, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Are we ever going to get assists implemented?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the wall is low already, don't need to do anything special.

3. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

He used an Ad hominem. He has no point.

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

not necessarily, because the ad hominem in this case directly disputes the soundness of the evidence that you present. if you don't play grenadier and play rifleman, inductively, you will want the grenadier to be a flushing weapon (so that you can have easier kills)

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think Beerdude already did. Not sure though. He said he was.

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Thanks Foxy for your valuable, off-topic input. :pathetic:

------------------------------------------------------------

So, the reason the crunch maneuver is still in Empires is because of the slightly-significant nerf it puts on the mortar, and because of the "skill" it takes to use it. Here's the problem with this skill thing: if it took a quick sequence of buttons to fire a pistol, instead of the one-button push we have now, would you feel more "skillfull" because you programed your finger's muscle memory to press those 3-4 buttons it takes to do the same thing as one button? Is it more satisfying knowing that firing that pistol is artificially hard to do? "Why yes indeed, it took me 5+ hours to figure out how to fire an Empire's pistol like a pro! If it was as easy as pressing one button, than the game would be horribly ruined forever and my 'skill' would be destroyed by catering to the noobs!"

Crouching does not really make any difference at all. Tons of players know how to use the mortar right. I know what it's like to use it myself. Not everyone is a flying ninja, but the crouching makes barely a difference at all. I still don't see a good reason why this should still be, but I've gotten plenty of reasons why it is. Sorry I couldn't persuade almost anyone, but the fact is that this game mechanic is pathetic and so is your stubbornness regarding it.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It makes a lot of difference, stop being so stupid.

8. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

No, u.

How can any of us really tell without actually playing without the crunch, anyway?

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The crouch forces me to plan what I do. Its just half a second but im still immobile and easy to kill while crouching. A good rifleman needs nothing more than this short time of immobility to kill a grenadier.

As said I like weapons in FPS games that have a high skill ceiling. Theirs not much fun for me to play with a tool that I can manage to master in one week.

Its not fact. Its your personal opinion that this game mechanic is pathetic.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

also if you have to crouch to fire the mortar you can't do things like fire while jumping, fire over walls, have a slight height advantage, etc.

11. Demented

Demented Member

The mortar would become a 'noobtube' if it didn't require you to crouch because you'd have no reason not to use it in close quarters. Instead of becoming an almost stationary target who has to wait a crucial fraction of a second before killing someone, you can just pop off a mortar in someone's face and keep running.

It also means the spastic contortions grenadiers make before firing their weapons (crouching, jumping and then crouching, dodging and jumping and crouching) are no longer needed, giving you less of a cue that they're about to fire and less a moment you can take advantage of to kill them. [I'm not even sure why grens do this. Maybe some instinct rooted in UT/Q3?]

The crouch is a substantial nerf.
    More importantly, the mortar needs this substantial nerf because the alternative is that it would have to either be overpowered in infantry-v-infantry combat or genuinely Nerfed into an ineffective child's toy.

That's a comment born from experience, not estimation.

12. Empty

Empty Member

Jump crouch duck hit ground fire is basically the same as jump spinning as heavy in TF2, moments of faster speed before you fire.
    There's a slight delay between when you slowdown from crouch and when you can fire, the jump crouch fire maneuvre negates it.

13. communism

communism poof

Also a weakness. Can't dodge shit when everyone knows where your gonna land

14. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah but half of the players are fucking stupid and never lead a target.
    Also it's easier to hit a slowass gren as he fires than one that's travelling max speed through the air.

15. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

2 types of grenades and remove mortar.....

16. Empty

Empty Member

2 types of retarded and fuck you.....

17. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

^compleatly irelevant and stupid post....

18. Empty

Empty Member

Brb infraction self.

19. FN198

FN198 Member

the spastic contortions allow you to dodge bullets while leading a target. spastic movement isn't easy to lead all of the time and also allows the player to create reference landmarks to guide the angle of the shot at the enemy upon contact with the ground more accurately and efficiently.

ie, you get shot less and you kill more

20. zenarion

zenarion Member

Good thing you make a game that caters to retards then, Empty.