Why do I have to crouch to fire the Mortar?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by aaaaaa50, Feb 12, 2011.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Empires mortar is nothing like RL mortar at all. You see people running around with it and popping off shells at a very unrealistic rate. A real mortar takes time to set up, has to be anchored against the ground and uses precise measurements to hit it's targets. None of this would help the Empires mortar. Empires mortar is more like a grenade launcher than a mortar. The only thing relating Empires "mortar" to RL mortar is that it looks similar and you have to sit to fire it. Considering that you only have to crouch for a split second to fire, how exactly is gameplay benefited by this at all? If we replaced the "mortar" with a grenade launcher that was exactly the same but without the need to crouch to fire, what would the difference be?

2. Empty

Empty Member

Can you imagine how bad it would be if grens could run and gun.

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

i agree, the crouch is practically pointless, and it's not a limiting factor at all if you get good at timing your crouching (you probably slow down for less than a fifth of a second).
    we might as well remove the crouching bullshit, because it contributes almost nothing at all to gameplay.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's a considerable limiting factor. You're kidding yourself if you think it'd make no difference.

5. communism

communism poof

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

just put on guiding and you get the RPG, pretty cool eh it's like we don't have one of those already.

7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

yea, i actually thought about it for a bit before i realized this: in an open field, it doesn't make much of a difference, but when you're talking about walls, if you fire while standing, you can actually see what you're shooting at, but if you have to crouch fire, you have to make a mental image of the battlefield and shit before you fire.

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

If you didnt have to crouch you guys would all be crying nerf gren

9. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

decrease mortar damage, increase splash.

10. Trickster

This would just make it annoying. You'd never kill anyone, but you'd always end up pissing people off by 90% killing them for someone else. So it'd be annoying for both sides of the fight.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

only reason behind adding a decrease in damage would to be for making it shoot semi auto and having a clip of mowtar shells.

12. FN198

FN198 Member

YOU ALL DUMB. cept for trickster... wow did i just say that?

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

or make it automatic while we are at it.

we could call the NF one Avtomat Granata - 47

14. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Cept you could use it as a flushing weapon, rather then a long to short range awp with anti tank abilities.

15. Trickster

Then no-one would use it.

16. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Here's the real question: Why should the "mortar" work as it does now? The mortar is the Grenadier's anti-infantry, anti-building weapon, yes? Since in Empires gameplay>realism, there's no reason at all why the mortar should resemble it's RL weapon at all, but we have this half-hearted attempt with the requirement to sit on your ass before firing and the useless range-finder thingy. It's always been a fidly, unintuitive weapon that is hard for newbies to figure out how to use. Yet for those who can use it well, rather than being a stationary artillary piece the mortar is a run-and-gun source of havoc.

We all know that the way to operate the Empire's mortar has stayed the same since it was first put into Empires, but it doesn't have to always be this way. We could make it into a deployable stationary weapon like the RL weapon, and try and make that fun. We could eliminate the strange "features" that takes away from it's actual in-game use and hinders most from actually learning how to use it. We could do other things possibly too. I honestly think that this weapon just isn't as fun as it could be. Why should it be kept in it's counter-intuitive state of being halfway to fun, halfway to practical, and halfway to useless?

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It's a pain in the ass to lob over walls at an 85 degree angle. Let us control the power of mortar ejection.

18. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

if you have to deploy the mortar, it loses its fun as you quickly learn that being a stationary target means that you die 50000000% faster than a moving one

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

noobs that can't use mortar. Why don't you all go play cod and use the tube.

20. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

to be fair, you're not exactly very good with it either.
    i think the problem with the mortar is that everyone wants to be like "omg omg omg i'm commie or dubee or bitterjesus level" with the mortar and when they can't be like super awesome rape pro, they q.q about it and try to fuck with it so that everyone can be "super awesome pro" with it.
    some people, like granithor, are happy simply because they're adequate with it, and they can usually hit targets. he doesn't start crying about it being sucky when he cant shoot targets very well uphill, for example.