Why cant we switch loadouts and apply skills in the apcs back?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flasche, Dec 11, 2015.

1. 101010

101010 Member

I only play when certain people command. As in I know they drop things like armories.

Starting with empty clips for engineer and gren is intentional. It prevents a few game breaking exploits.
    So I don't see them ever changing.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The hell are you talking about? Did you read the rest of the thread? And that comment is also wrong to begin with. You don't start with empty clips on grens or engy, it's only empty when you try to change to that class. People agree that it's no good to simply reselect and have it fully loaded, but the question is why lose it if it's already loaded? In that case there isn't anything game breaking at all. I really can't see how it could be.

The only legitimate concern is what neoony brought up about making ammo in armory redundant and how there's something of a choice in whether one should get all ammo at the cost of a reload or not. I'd add on that the reselecting class for ammo is very uncommon knowledge, another one of empires weird quirks that only vets know about. So I'd also question if this is something that really should be kept, like I said classes start with ammo for every weapon so it wouldn't break anything to make it so reselecting class doesn't refresh ammo. But the need for armories and ammo crates would be even higher and people get pissed off as it is.

3. 101010

101010 Member

You have the option of full or empty clip on spawn. Saving clip value between states for every player would kind of kill the server. Basically when you re pick a class you respawn with out using a ticket.
    So you have 2 types of spawn. 1 uses a ticket and gives full ammo and clip. The other takes 0 tickets full ammo empty clip for set weapons. What else uses the no ticket spawn ?...Revive.
    Separating the revive from re setting class lead to the bug where you would revive with out weapons some times.
    So setting it so re picking class = full clip would allow you to squad revive 3 grens and an engineer by the
    enemy CV have all 3 grens RPG,Morter, Then mine it. Die and have the 2 engineers revive the grens to give them back full ammo/clips.

That's why most source game make it so to pick a new class is a full respawn.
    Or TF2 allows the re-pick class but gives full clips and ammo.
    The calculations for clip / ammo state against the player state /against the player location / against the player class / against the player team. The network couldn't handle it and doing it client side would be horrible.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Feels silly but I don't know enough about programming to say it couldn't be true. A lot of suggestions are like that though, it seems like a real simple thing. So hey, now I know. Thanks.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i fail to understand this - you cant send a few bytes to a single player?

6. 101010

101010 Member

Join any server when there is people playing.
    Open console and type net_graph 4
    At the bottom left you will see "SV"
    That's basically server's fps. Under 60 is bad. Under 50 the server is strained and should be upgraded to a better CPU / more ram.
    Last I checked Nubs runs about 35. With about 20 people on it.
    So as is the servers can hardly run what we have.

So adding this the server would also have to store the state of all clips for every weapon for every player all game.
    Say you switch from gren to engineer. Server has to verify that you can use the class you picked, That you can use the weapons you picked,That you can use the skills you picked.There is also a check to verify you can change class.(your in a rax / armory)
    So far that's universal for your team.
    So you have one set list the server verify against.

But you can't really verify every players ammo / clip state without first storing that variable.
    So the server would have to store the state for every player. So that's 64+ new variables stored in memory so that when you change class the server can verify Your getting the right amount of ammo /clip size.
    So just for keeping your clip size you going from a small amount of variables for changing class to x64+.
    64+ cuz what happens if you lose connection ? Still have to store even the people who disconnect.
    Then what about people who switch teams ? Better store those also.

7. flasche

doesnt the server know about that anyway?

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats the other thing I thought might be a problem. As its not as simple as using the either full state or empty state of the weapon

9. flasche

that seems to be sv_maxupdaterate since its at about 33 even when noone is on the server - i just checked. its probably set to that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Btw in this case, wouldnt it better to just detect if user has one of these weapons (and maybe detect if user is alive too) and just not replace those weapons and only replenish ammo when class changed.
    But thats also dependant on how the class change is handled exactly.

Or simply if one is alive, make the class change not replace all the weapons, but only replenish ammo and give perks..

But yeah, not sure if doable.

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It's hard to take you seriously when you pretend to know what's going on and yet think that the server's tickrate is a variable, it's not, it's a set value, all servers on Empires run on 33 tickrate.

I don't know anything about programming but common sense tells me that keeping a few more variables in RAM would not be a problem at all. Especially since the game is 10 years old and servers now have a huge amount of RAM.

Now more on topic, as far as I can remember, re-selecting class didn't always give full ammo, or any ammo at all. Once more it's something that was modified along the way and that is arguably bad.

12. flasche

u sure about that? i know i do it for quite a while now ...

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

It wasnt giving full ammo, because you always spawned with less ammo than full.
    Giving full ammo was one of the Spartacus's "lets try" idea, I believe.

But then if you had ammo upgrade and you had some extra ammo and you changed class, you also lost all that extra ammo.

Btw, tickrate can be changed, im pretty sure.
    If you only started server with -tickrate xxx parameter.
    It can definitely be changed with other source games servers, and it is a setting.
    So I guess it is a variable.

I have no idea what would any increase do to empires though.

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Ok bad phrasing, I know it can be changed, but it does not change once the server is started, you'd have to restart it.
    Point is, he was saying "if your server is under 50 tick/s it lags" which is wrong since all servers have a tickrate set at 33.

Neoony likes this.
  15. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats right.

EDIT: But the SV value can go down, as far as I know ( as it shows FPS, but never higher than tickrate) . But I get your point. xD
    I just realized empires was 33 and 0101010 was talking about 50, lol
    Now I see...

16. flasche

it made the g4tc servers lag as soon as a few vehicles more appeared - even after mootant fixed missile smoke to be not predicted (iirc)

but thats how many years (and processor generations) back? also bandwidths probably increased quite a bit, i know my ISP upped speed at least twice ...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Neoony likes this.
  17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I agree that you'd think with new hardware it'd run better, but the problem is, Empires is not multicore and as much as CPUs have increased in total power, single core clock hasn't improved that much.
    as far as bandwidth is concerned I don't believe it should be a problem.

But let's just say Empires already lags when there's 30/40 tanks on 33 TPS, imagine on twice that.
    However I do believe that alot of the "hit detection being bad" could come from the TPS as pro servers usually run on 100 TPS.

18. flasche

its less than one might expect, yet probably "twice as good"

19. 101010

101010 Member

That's kind of my point. The servers we have are crap.That's why we are stuck using lower tick rates.
    The servers are pretty much maxed out. Yeah storing clip values could be done but not on the servers we have.

As for multi core - Its been an option since around 2008. Well sooner but more stable since 2008 when Valve re did the code.

20. flasche

idk without more evidence im feeling a lot like the blind man describing the elephant here, but i find it strange that the server doesnt know about my ammo count.