Whoa

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Haji with a handgun, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Haji with a handgun

Haji with a handgun Member

So are you guys ever going to die

It seems like every other source mod I've ever played is dead

But somehow you guys are still here

what gives

and more importantly, do people still play on the servers?

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Empires is infected with the K(krenzo) virus. It doesn't die... it just keeps going and going and even mutates a little.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

4. ViroMan

those stats tell me epic server should be shut down due to hardly ever used. However I understand that euro ppl need something that doesn't lag to death for them... so I guess its ok to leave up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

And EPIC server is just overall better. Ping isn't the only big pluss about it.

6. Trickster

Server that's populated is the one that got seeded. Atm most EPIC members aren't really playing much. Look at that 6-8 weeks ago, and VIPER wasn't populated at all. Look at it 2-4 weeks before that, and EPIC wasn't. It just fluctuates depending on who's playing at the time. And without sounding like a bit of a dick, if I'm not playing then a lot of EPIC members don't. And I'm not playing anymore.

7. ViroMan

For sometime in that 6-8 weeks ago, epic was all there was. viper got shut down for a few days but, I get the jist of what your saying. Except the last part. I wouldn't know about that.

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

Cuz dis ez empierez. deres noh reson noht toe ploey et. durrrrrhzrhzj-

*average empires player comment*

9. Trickster

No, I'm not talking about the time when VIPER was down, I'm talking about the time that EPIC members were seeding it every day because we had a BSID scrim upcoming, and we all wanted to play together.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I actually had good times playing on epic when viper got shut down, miss it.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Empires can't die until something with with the same core gameplay replaces it. It is still a great game and it is still unique. Unfortunately the things that make it great also make it less accessible. The number of new players will gradually & naturally decrease because

1. People are less interested in mods for this engine than they were years ago. It has been surpassed years ago by just about everything.
    2. New gamers these days want to play games that are easy, pretty much everything is like Duty Calls. Which is why I reckon the age of an Empires Mod player is higher than average - many of us still remember spending hours on boss battles... Back in the good old days when you had to earn your fun! Who remembers Continues?!

Empires won't die - it will just become senile, like all of us.

::insert mumbling about the youth of today::
    ::snore::

What?! Where am I? Who are you, Get off my lawn! I'm calling the Police!

Where was I - Ohh yeah, I look forward to APC rushing you all in your nursing homes, if I can remember the way to BE main that is...
    Has anyone seen my slippers? Ohh I'm wearing them.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

add 3. new players dont find a pleasant enviroment bc they get steamrolled by regulars with puny egos ...

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

For me, a player across the pond, EPIC sucks for ping but almost every other aspect of the server makes it the best server of empires. Empires just has a lot of life time per player, since each round is unique from the last, and with the huge amount of maps (and almost all get played), its life-time-per-player is immensley long. The point when a player stops playing is when he loses interest, and that's usually for two things, the game has become unoriginal and that player doesn't feel like empires brings anymore new fun to the table (and everything has become cheap tactics now), and number two, real life, which goes for any game.

Take a look at mods like Age of Chivalry, WW1 Source, Dystopia, etc., the gameplay was fun and unique but after you play them for a month you get bored since almost every match is the same. And that's the reason why we are still alive, because we get the same amount of players other mods do, but ours stay longer for that simple fact.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

@A-z-k
    i certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

@flasche
    new players don't find a pleasant environment because they're anti-social. empires is a social game.

empires will continue to putter on as long as people keep building refineries, and do what the commander or person above them says

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so being new and not knowing anyone is antisocial? it takes some time to get warm with people, some are faster, some are slower.
    i just wonder how many actually join a server a 2nd time ...

also your opinion is equally one sided so equally wrong - the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, right? :p

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

New Empires players are like learner drivers. Everyone was there once but most people don't have any empathy left because they are more concerned with getting places sooner so prefer to tailgate them on the premise that "they gotsta learns!"

I enjoyed Empires most when everything was new and shiny and cool. It was also hectic and confusing. Who are the enemy, what the hell is that, whats all this crap on the minimap, then the tank customisation menu - still to this day by the time I have finished customising my light tank we have heavies.

17. ViroMan

they tailgate, you let off gas and watch them stomp there brakes.

18. Reznov

Reznov Member

Hats shall socialize us even more if we had them.

19. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Thats pretty similar to my experience. I did not know you could change the sides of your armor plates until maybe a year after playing Empires lol....Sad I know

20. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Good example of new players, I got into an verbal fight with 3 newbies yesterday. Map: emp_isles, three of them, all scouts, with rifles, with hide, were sitting on the middle ref node, Me: "why are you on my ref node?" Noob:"we are Suppressing a spawn bunker."

I showed them how to destroy the "Spawn Bunker" IE walk up to the thing, nades+decon, win. and for the rest of the game all three of them were butthurt at me for being a prick and forcing them to move elsewhere.

(they spent the entire round on the middle ref node bitching for someone to bring them ammo.) :rolleyes:

Edit: who are you and where is my Jeep?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012