What's overall the best stuff to put on a heavy?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by BlueOffspring, Feb 20, 2008.

1. BlueOffspring

BlueOffspring Member

From the BE point of view (since I always play BE.) What is the best weapon / armor / engine set you can put on a heavy?

I thought at first that regenerative armor was the best, until I noticed how UBER SLOW it took to actually regenerate, and it was very very weak.

^^Say stuff like that. I am just tired of running into the battlefield with a heavy, only to have it destroyed by one set of salvo missiles.

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

Theres no overall best combination IMO
    You should always pick the armour and weapons that counter the enemies tech best...

3. @@@@ACE@@@@

@@@@ACE@@@@ Member

If you are playing a be heavy tank usually comp armor is the best with advanced coolant engine note if u are low on $$ comp is out of the question since it doubles the price of ur tank also if they use plasma use bio engine

4. flatmush

flatmush Member

Always use advanced coolant as long as you have it, if you're overheating don't wait around till your engine doesn't work, run away and shoot from a distance or wait for backup.

Armour-wise just use whatever your team has, regen if it's cheap and they have no weapons, composite if you have money and need some weight left over for larger weapons and absorbant if they are using railguns.

Be tanks should always use dual rails if you have them, they can kill infantry, vehicles and buildings with ease and are unlikely to run out of ammo quickly, otherwise he and 3 ml's is a good mixture as the ml's are pretty good at taking out buildings, nukes are ok but they aren't amazing if the enemy has good tanks.

I have to say things like this "I always play BE.", that kind of attitude leads to the thousands of stacked games we see, unless there's a really good reason you should always auto-assign to keep the game fair.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

BEST:

2 HE cannons
    FULL COMPOSITE ARMOR
    Coolant engine

6. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Why don't you switch to NF, and also make your own damn strategies. We can't design a tank that fits your play style since we don't really know it, or care. You might like the heavy with 2 ranged cannons if you don't like getting close, or you might like a medium with 3 phase and reflective if you like being in the thick of things.

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Standard Cannon 6 shooter
    regen
    bio-diesel

"The Mittoes Homewrecker" I call it.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

A competent driver.

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I like anything with DUMGs and regen, or if not regen, abs is fine. Personally, I like regen, because I dont have to repair my tank so much, and maybe if its a good night be able to use grenadier instead of engi.

I'm not much a fan of nukes, they're so slow and I dont know how to use them well, and usually by that time we have arties, which do a good enough job being a nuke.

Also rails. I dont know why, but I dont like them so much. Maybe its because every map that I get them, there's so many tanks out that it's too laggy to shoot straight with them, I dunno. I know they're great, I blew up a heavy once with them just fine, I just never get to use them in a low-lag game

Also, I love DUMGs. I love them to death! A group of APCs with DUMGs can take on lots of tanks. They do best on the BE side when NF has heavies, or on the NF side when BE is starting out. Add one to a tank, you have a lot more DPS, it fills the gap between cannon refires, and it generally pisses off the entire enemy side with one vehicle. It also negates the NF LT small-fast advantage really nicely, it scares them of really fast.

Plasma cannons, once I found out they did damage, I loved them. In Money, NF had all plasmas on a few mediums, I was stuck outside their north entrance for a few minutes, overheated, wishing I had bio diesel until I finally got out and jumped over the railing. I hated those guys, but deep down I knew I was just jealous. We won, though, arty > plasma.

HE is great against infantry, and good against tanks. A 2 HE heavy doesnt even need an MG.

UMLs are always a safe bet, though i like homing salvos.

Bio weapons are nice, but always pack a cannon, as bio MLs take a while to kill and bio MGs may do some damage.

Regen, in the right hands, is almost godmode. Until they use bio weapons, then its more a kill command.

Ranged cannons are nice, but nobody researches them!

Fission engine is almost as fast as 3-phase, but its a lot less finnicky about heat and damage. You'll survive a lot more with fission, and it's close to reflective armor and DUMGs. I love physics!

Comp isnt always the best. Its more upgraded standard armor than anything, it has more HP and takes less damage, no more or less.

Always try to counter the enemy's things. They have cannons... or are BE, use abs. They have missiles, get 3-phase. They have nukes, ragequit. They have arties, get arties. They have regen, get bio. They have heavies and you have LTs, dont get anything cus they're made of paper.

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

Lolz :)
    so missiles = 3-phase and reflective

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

dual rails, and as then as much composite or reactive armour as you can handle. I think comp also allows you to put a 50 cal machinegun on too, but fuck anti infantry, infantry can do about as much damage to your tank as syncronised mooning of it.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Depends.

Sometimes I make one with loads of reactive armour and light weaponry, to soak up damage and keep it away from the dual rail heavies.

13. Chahk

Chahk Member

iLOL'd

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would like to see the role of high-armour low-damage tanks expanded, as at the moment they aren't really practical, you put all the guns you can on, then fill the rest up with armour.

15. flatmush

flatmush Member

I personally don't see the point in a high armour tank with no weapons, as but as for the soaking up damage thing that's a strategy I'd like to see more.
    Whenever I arrive at the front and see a friendly retreating fast I always try to rush my tank in the line of fire to protect it.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

A regen heavy works surprisingly well against nukes as long as you're just fighting one tank at a time, since the slow firing speed leaves you time to recover a bit. Obviously you'll still die if they're just constantly wailing on one side of you or if you have multiple people hitting the same side at once, but what do you expect?

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ah nuke tanks.. 2 Nuke tanks with good drivers, there you got the win!

18. Vaun

Vaun Member

My favorite heavy for BE- Dual rail, HE MG (get them and i call du depleted usefulness), salvo missiles, with 4 layers of comp and coolant based (unless its a huge map, then its 3 phase). Just a bigger version of my supermed.