What should the role of the 4th class be?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mashav, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

I think that Scouts should only be able to sabotage refineries and turrets.

And that Hide should be replaced with Stealth (turrets cannot detect Scouts unless they're very close, and Scouts cannot be targeted by comm).

2. HackUser

HackUser Member

Give the scout a katana! :P

3. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

After spending a whole hour reading though a mostly (but not entirely) repetitive thread, I would like to state my opinion that the scout has the role as an information gatherer and assassin. the scout is by no means a front line assault class with sustained combat capability. I do have some Ideas that will benefit the scout in both of those areas without making it too powerful.

First, to assist their role as information gatherers, allow them to spot more than one target with their binoculars. Allow them to spot 3 buildings/tanks which yield one point upon destruction, and up to 6 infantry that yield one point after two die.

Second, on the note of their assassin role, which is ment to break up those trench warfare battles, my Idea is to give them a new skill which gives a major increase to their sprint speed. This allows them to take advantage of their close range weapons and the element of surprise on a group of enemies from a nearby hiding place. This is important because currently, when you wait for the last person to pass by in a clump of people, you are hardly close enough to catch up to them and do damage with your close range weapon. This of course leaves the scout vulnerable to survivors as they will not have stamina left over to run away.

4. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I realized this during a game tonight. There is no way for you to determine the health of the enemy. The scout could gain the ability to see the health of enemy units and buildings just by putting his crosshairs over them while using the binocular. Right now the things are basically useless, but that way they could actually give back potentially useful data.

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

IMO, the scout could be easily improved in the short term by giving him part of the functionality of the upgrade skills as standard.

Specifically, I was thinking:

- Hide: only works when proned or still+crouched, doesn't hide you from turrets. Hide (cloak?) upgrade allows you to be hidden when moving when crouched, and hidden when stood still. Completely hides you from turrets.

- Speed Upgrade: Scout starts off with 105% speed, speed upgrade then stacks to make that 115%. Also, the wiki mentions scouts having double the stamina regeneration, does this still apply?

- Enhanced Senses: Base skill shows enemies on the minimap at 5 second intervals, upgraded skill updates the minimap faster, has a greater range, and displays camera esque targets on your HUD.

As well as this, he could do with being able to carry more sticky stun grenades (four, eight with ammo increase?) and more ammo for the SMG2. Currently, the sticky stun grenade is only really useful against CV's or spammed from the top of vehicles, and the SMG2 tends to run out of ammo rather fast, making the SMG1 the better choice.

Sabotage doesn't seem so bad at the moment, but it would be nice if it gave you points for buildings destroyed with it.

6. Spooky

Spooky Member

Why does everyone forget the spies...

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

What I want from innate hide is what it is now, but it doesn't hide from turrets. Hide skill would hide from turrets and allow for short bursts of squad hide like running. Some kind of innate hide would be good though. Also, when a scout hides, all targets on him "fall off".
    I think that like a bunch of other things, the wiki is lying.

I'd prefer everyone moves forward faster 5%, moves backwards 20% slower and strafes 10% slower. Scout would get 10% forward move and no penalty on the others, but hey, im all for general buffs of the scout.
    Upgraded skill would have to update in real time like it does now. As for targets, i think enemy healthbars/ammobars would be practical and less wallhaxy (we already have comm targets). Also don't make the innate one pick up hidden scouts.

I still want Radar stealth to be the defining skill of the scout(because some form of hide would be innate). Immunity to all targets, comm and spotted commands. Undetectable by turrets, cameras or radars

8. Lumi

Lumi Member

Most of you people give scout a bad rap.

I've was playing on EMP_MONEY this one time, and a single scout got into the enemy base. We were losing at the time. He sabotaged literally every single one of their buildings. 5 minutes later we were chasing their com.

On Topic:
    The scout needs a broader selection of weaponry and skills that makes it different from a less useful engineer who can hide. How about tranquilizer darts for the Sniper Rifle that drains the enemy's stamina? It doesn't kill the enemy, but it slows them down.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Remove the scout, and bring it back if theirs a gap to fill or a concept.

10. ba'al

ba'al Member

Thats because sabotage is BROKEN

11. Lumi

Lumi Member

Or the teamwork of the enemy engineers is BROKEN. It's their job to repair smoking buildings, and that's what they need to do.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Sabotage WAS broken. As in overpowered. It destroyed buildings far too quickly. 1 player shouldn't be able to do that much damage.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Reducing the engineer to a repair stuff class doesnt help in any way cause no one wants to play the bitch for everyone else.

14. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

what's the matter, unable to do damage to 1 player?

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not when that one player has essentially teleported (as in moved from one place to another without relevance to the space in between, no amount of defences stop him) into a rear base and is now doing as much damage to the base as a small tank platoon, also the player is invisible.

16. Lumi

Lumi Member

Are invisible scouts detected by cameras and commander marks?

17. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Remove infantry support abilities (e.g. healing, ammo) from engineer.

Give infantry support abilities to scout.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would aswell go for this

19. petemyster

petemyster Member

*skipped what was going to be a mind numbing thread*
    I hate to be the party pooper, but do we need a 4th class? I mean, the other 3 have thier own unique roles to play. The 4th class doesn't have alot to do, which justifies it needing its own class. Why can't 3 be the magic number? Can you really imagine a 4th class which would be integrated and used as much as the other 4? Don't fix something unless its broken.

20. Alceister

Alceister Member

The thing is though, we're taking the classes too much at face value. For example, Engineer as anti-structure and construction, Grenadier as anti-vehicle, and Riflemen as anti-infantry, when they really fulfil roles outside of those delineated duties.

And should very well be able to. Because there is nothing more frustrating than being able to do nothing because you brought your hammer to bang some nails but left your screwdriver at home.

And then you encounter some screws and do nothing but fail.