What should the role of the 4th class be?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mashav, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

A simple question.

As far as it comes to the scout as it is, most people would agree that something is wrong. However when asked how to improve it the ideas spread out vastly. From buffing the scout rifle to making a squad better most of the ideas do not fit the name.

So I ask you, people of the empires community...

What should the fourth class do, and what should be the name for this class?

As for me, keep it as Scout or switch it to Special Ops or Advanced Assault Troop and do this \|/

2. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

random thought: make the scout rifle an unlockable that can ONLY be used after joining a squad and doing 10 actions within the squad leader aura.

on topic: BF 2142 has the right idea. a sniper/spec ops man that carries remote deto explosives. Make them useless against buildings, with the strength of a mine.

ZING!

3. communism

communism poof

Scout should be a close combat king. Able to avoid being targeted yet able to see everybody elses positions with senses, if he manages to sneak in he is able to wreak havok and take a few souls with him.

Give him a buffed smg2 and touch his class skills up and the rest would fall in place

4. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Totally agree with this bit...
    But not that.

Give him the shotty, and a pwn-o-matic close range pistol (like deagle style). For explosives give him remote det-pax. One is a remote controlled mine (x4 max ammo), the other is a sticky remote controlled mine with extra power vs tanks (x2 max ammo), but has a 1-2 second set up time where you must be beside the tank. both packs are efficient against turrets. My personal opinion is that sticky stuns are a terrible mechanic against anything except the CV. Therefore, his 3rd choice will be the vehicle sabber. Same as sabbing buildings, everything halves until it is fully repaired (speed, cooldown, reload as well as hull + armour. if the tank is damaged so that it has less than half armour, it won't lose any more). But this isn't done by a nade, it's the same as sabbing buildings - 5 seconds. He can keep his binox. Sabotage now is OP, half it and add a skill to increase it's power back to where it is now (architectural training?). Hide is a difficult one. Whilst what I would love to see is something like the MGS4 octo-camo (texture changes to what you touch), I don't think source allows this. Hide as it is now will probably have to stay. As for the name, special operation seems appropriate.
    For a lulzy addition and to add some faction differences, an NF accelerator bomb would be nice in place of the sticky remote or vec sabber; takes 3 seconds with a tank that is empty. when someone gets in and presses forward, not only does the effect above happen, but the driver dies as well.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I would leave the scout as scout. And scout should be a supporting class at frontlines.

The commander targets should be nerved and scout should be able to give targets thru binoculars to his squad by only looking at enemys (would also increase squad importance). This was already suggested ealier.

Gameplay could look like this:
    Squad rushes to important chokepoint and scout keeps a little bit behind.
    Scout gives targets to his squad and then sneaks behind enemy to sabotage building/kill enemys.
    When tanks are available targets aren't important and so scout can sabotage buildings. Good strategy would be to sabotage buildings shortly before a tank rush. Scout can also hunt for repairing engineers.

6. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Or you could, you know, make it on par with the other classes, that would be cool too. Basicly you've said kill com targets and this will magically make the scout great. not gonna happen.

7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The result of a small brain storming session in IRC between me, Omneh, and zenarion. We went over skills, innate skills (skills the scout automatically gets), and weapon loadouts.

Scout:
    Weapons:
    Primary Weapon Choices:
    Shotgun OR Light Carbine OR SMG1 OR SMG2
    Secondary Weapon Choices:
    Pistol 1
    Grenade Choices:
    Concussion OR Smoke OR Sticky-Stun

Equipment:
    Binoculars AND Seismic Satchel Charge
    Notes:
    Seismic Satchel Charges: These are the same as scout sabotage, except the scout must now attach it to a building and arm it. This would take the same time as sabotage, except the scout must unhide to do this.
    Binoculars: Has 3 vision modes: unfiltered, night, and thermal. Cycled with AltFire.
    Sabotage: This can still be done while hidden, however it only works on turrets.

Skills
    Innate:
    Hide: This skill is now activated by equipping the binoculars and pressing the reload key. It works how it does now, but can only be used for sneaking as it automatically disables when a weapon is drawn.
    Speed upgrade (Maybe): To promote scouting ahead build speed upgrade directly into the scout.
    Unlocked:
    Same as present but without Hide (maybe without Speed upgrade).

8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Three classes are enough, merge Rifleman and Scout.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'd be quite happy with this, merge them and give more equipment choices to the combined class.

I mean scout shotguns are surely going to be giving the scout more combat power, so why not combine the two anti-infantry combat classes into one?

They can't use both guns at the same time so it makes sense to jam the two together.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  10. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

It was written in prophesy there will would be four mystic warriors

11. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Change the prophecy.

12. communism

communism poof

Are you saying scout is the chosen one?!

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Superstition is not a firm basis upon which to build a development team.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I'd change the name to Support
    no carbine
    turret sabotage is actually fine imo
    new hide makes sense
    if anyone should drop 40 sec health boxes then it should not be engy(promotes teamwork)

also, haha ,nice one CB

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i'd change it to "special" class

the class that binds all the other classes together, and generally provides all sorts of support

name: Weapon support

weapons:
    heavy machine gun (take it away from riflemen, its not a rifle anyway)
    shotgun/sniper rifle
    smg2

grenades:
    smoke, sticky stun, high explosive (again take away from rifle, give him concussion)

pistol1 and 2

skills: all of the scouts

advanced recon and tactics suite (the suit that gives him hide and advanced senses, my lame excuse to give him 80% of standard health since he carries all the heavy weapons and we dont want an "uberrifleman")

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Sniper rifle has no role in empires. Look at TF2, why is their a sniper class?
    The reason is because its almost impossible to kill a good heavy/medic combo
    with anything else. In empires their is no such thing as a almost immortal
    infantry class that needs another class deticated to kill it.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The reason there are snipers in TF2 is because there were snipers in TF1 and all the fucktard snipers would complain if they were taken out.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i agree

although with less profanity

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

mayama, its actually reversed, they had to make snipers do something rather then just camp in one place and gain frags like in tf or tfc

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

In short, the scout should be a pointman, leading squads into battle, usually first to go in close quarters to engage enemy infantry, and intelligence officer, spotting enemy vehicles, reporting enemy movement, etc.

In both instances, scout is equiped to lead squads more effectively with information. Sort of how the Engineer has tangible support elements.

The scout would be just that: a scout. First in, always on top of information, second only to the commander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_point