What kind of commander are you?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by cpugeek, Jul 8, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

What do all of you usually do when they are commander?

Personally, i am in love with tanks and refuse to get turret upgrades until we have pretty kick ass medium tank. I like giving a lot of freedom to the players and i usually don't limit the vehicle factory unless its an emergency. I never turret farm and usually i focus more on offense instead of defense. I will ask my team sometimes what they want to research, though i'm not a big fan of rushing to research turrets or artillery. The map i like comming on most is emp_slaughtered. I like making forward bases, but i usually don't go too wild with them. I try to talk to my as much as i can via teamchat and i will often times explain why i'm researching what i am so that noobs might learn something.

2. pixelized

pixelized Member

I have about 7 styles. It's hard to command because during different parts of the day we have good and bad players. If it's a motivated team with be you could go acb med chassis and composite armor and they'll finish the game in no time. NF light tank acb composite armor also works.

If you have a lazy team there's no real strategy you can use. That just makes for a depressing game. That usually happens in money where both teams seem afraid to leave the spawn area.

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Turret farms can be offensive weapon. If I'm not farming I do 3phase/reactive/composite/arty/med tank or regen/bio/med/bio weapons.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I do whatever is deemed necessary.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I spam barracks and turrets. Not a big fan of vehicles so I'll usually only build one or two factories.

I like to research high level turrets quickly as they help keep the enemy of the engineers back while they build.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

coming from cncgold i focus on improvising and counters, trying to refine my strategies over and over till i am pretty confident my strategies will be succesfull on clan matches. I dont like turretfarms and will take on a challenge to counter them with tanks, not artys. I usually try to stretch the game as long as possible, but if I feel most in my team are not competent enough to end it I will resort to artys. I dont like fast games at all, might aswell ninja from the start, so I try to keep my team busy with map control untill the enemy team has worn themselves out.
    I restrict the vehicle factory and drop tanks like an assembly bay, I try out different tank research from time to time and have made a couple of good tanks to counter a lot of things. I give attack orders as much as possible and not only for my team but for myself (to know when they killed it).
    My weak point is communication tho, usually i dont feel like explaining what im going for all the time or what I want the persons to do with the tank i dropped, so its a bit of chaos, but aslong as most keep following the waypoints and kill their attack orders all is well and we can end it with a bigass tank team :)
    Its all about counters and exploiting your powers (ofc not forgetting sportsmanhip), I dont like to keep things to luck so you will find me recycling barracks and keeping bases to a minimum to make sure my team will spawn exactly where i want them to. Triangle is a shape I really love, thats all im gonna say about my strategies :)

As a commander I have to see every little weakpoint the enemy has in their defence and exploit that to the fullest, time is also very important, putting buildings as close to each other at the right spots is like putting your refinery in cnc gold next to the tiberium, when im drunk id love to start a discussion about this but right now im not sure where to start ;p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  7. Zairair

Zairair Member

I'm a light tank rusher on Canyon. Of course, I restrict and build the tanks myself to save up on jeeps.

On Badlands, I research artillery asap.

On Isle, I have everyone get refineries and hold the top left with a new base while researching to level 3 turrets then I take a poll asking whatever tank anybody wants.

On Money, I do everything... yes everything... Then I wall in the comm vehicle and let someone else build buildings if they want and go nuts with tanks.

On Duststorm, I basically do what I do on Canyon and use light tanks and afvs. Preferably sending my team to the middle and then telling them to go around into the back of their main bases.

On Crossroads, I get a barracks in the middle and try to hold it and research artillery.

Ideally I win... but in reality it depends on who my oppenent is. My team usually does what I want them to... if they don't I spam "abort! abort! abort! abort! abort!" and tell them to go join the other team or something lol... If someone starts to argue with me. I argue back saying the dumbest things you ever heard, then I remember their names and try to make sure I pwn them next round. =) And if I do pwn them I rub it in their faces as much as possible! But when if I get pwned then I pretend like nothing ever happened and avoid them in every game.

I usually monitor front lines and research... and after getting ninja'd alot... I now put a lvl 1 mg next to the comm tank.

If I control 1 ref I get bio armor/engine > turrets > reactive armor.
    If I control 2-3 refs I get chem.
    If I control 4+ I get mechanical.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

reactive armor is the second most expansive, 90 res per plate, why would you go for that with only 1 ref

9. Zairair

Zairair Member

Well there's a slim chance I'll even make it there... and there's also a slim chance it might save my hide... and it's in the same tree as turrets.

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

With one ref, you couldn't really afford reactive armour =/

11. Revolver

Revolver Member

Dominating commander.

I have a strict, tried-and-true research tree if I think the game will be close. (If you don't know what it is, you don't read the forums enough. Absorbant->Adv Coolant->Arty->Reflective->Projectile (Strong arty protected from tanks by super-apcs)

If I know for a fact I'll win, I'll toy around with heavies that have nukes, reflec armor (Paranoia Anyone?), plasma cannons, and AP MGs.

Never research turrets, don't drop armories. Generally relying on my team for refineries, as oppose to directing each damn player to the nodes. But I'm a clanner, so it changes my style immensly from the public servers. My sympathies to you all.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Badlands:
    Depends on team. If I have at least 2 good engies I go for really massive turret spam. I make at least 2 other bases.

Isle:
    Usually reloc. I try to keep everyone at the top. It's fundamental to have it secured to win here.

Canyon:
    Early rush. Making lots of mgs and mls at the start in choke points. Then I get the refs and do what I want to do.

Money:
    Quick refs. I send 1 person before refs to attack or even hide in enemy base. If I can I build barracks there. If not just the usual walling whole bridge entrances and buildings VF and barracks just behind the wall.

Duststorm:
    BE: getting center as fast as I can or APC rush.
    NF: reloc to north and buildings as many refs as I can without fighting. Light tank spammage.

Crossroads:
    defensive team (that didn't cap the center): arty as soon as I can. Restrict the VF and research HE next. Requires giving orders constantly to arty drivers.
    offensive: turret spam and rush from the side that's weaker.

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

:: takes notes on everyone's posts ::
    Now I can DOMINATE in the battlefield! I just need to know who's comm...

14. katana9000

katana9000 Member

I usually perfer to play on the field... But when there are no other experienced players on the team and I'm forced to com. I perfer to jump to lvl 3 turrets first and formost. Next I research down the biology tree, going for regen armor then bio diesel. I then go for biological projectiles. (Anybody will agree they make for a VERY effective weapon against tanks with heavy armor and are even effective against infantry) From there I go for heavier tanks and advanced coolant engines. Then go rambo :P

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That's our general research path. Most of us will adjust it to the current situation on the field. I won't do APC rush against teams that has more than 2 experienced players... usually.

16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The in rare times I comm I usually tell people to spread out and stop running in circles near the comm car(well I only comm in really desperate team situations). Then I usually go for lvl 3 turrets, regenerative/composite armor and gas turbine/bio diesel or in some cases regenerative and 3 phase. From there forward I'll adapt to the situation. Usually my team is still asking how to get planes or ammo or how to build or why there aren't medics at this point... Yet, I've won 4 out of 6 times I've commed.

17. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

regen armor usually, anti-tank apcs, and suped up heavies. dont bother with mediums and only get arty if we need it.

oh and NEVER EVER EVER trt upgrades

18. Falixx

Falixx Member

If anyone has ever seen me comm they know that I like to take risks. I always send my men as close to the enemy as possible, build a turret farm/barracks and then i'll make a few people spawn in the primary base and run around to build all the refineries. I think 3 phase is really a waste of resources, I usually get bio diesel/adv coolant.
    When it comes to turrets/tanks it depends if i'm BE or NF. The BE AFV is really a cow thats slow and a big target so I get medium tanks, this also depends on how many resources I have. So for BE I usually hold off in building a vehicle factory until I have medium tanks researched and some good armor/engine. When I'm NF Comm I build the vehicle factory right after the radar and just upgrade turrets then armor/engine.
    The biggest mistake a comm can make in my opinion is building a radar before securing another 2 res nodes or building the VF before building the radar.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

My comm style:

Bitch about people who don't do what I tell them. Probably two of the times I've lost, that's been part of the problem.

I actually haven't bothered to analyze my own command style. I try to get L3 turrets, some kind of engine, some kind of armor, and better tanks.

20. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I'm a commander solely based on the swift taking of territory, I always send the first Engineers out to the furthest managable recource node to defend up, so we can slowly take in the rest of the map, usually followed by a second and third base consisting of a Barracks, Vehicle Factory, Armory, 3 ML and 3 MG turrets. Research is more into the direction of nukes, Bio Diesel, Regenerative and early 'paper' tanks.