What I think makes a good map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [PRKL] Werihukka, Mar 18, 2009.

1. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Maybe I have too much time, but I like to share a couple of things that I think make the most balanced, fun and good map.

I don't know but a couple of maps which go into my favorites. These 2 are cyclopean and snowbound.

Now, to tell what makes them better maps from some others: Both teams start from walled and lvl3 turret defended base with 2 refinerys right next to CV. This gives both teams equal start and helps against early rushes.

Then there are the same kind of smaller "bases" in the corner of both of these maps without the walls. In the new version, you can't get rax in both of them, so, both teams must choose between them at first. This causes in a good and fair fight. The whole time both teams receive more or less the same amount of resources, either team isn't in an advantage over the other simply because they have more resources like in some maps.

Then in both of these maps, there is a big open space in the middle, that prevents the game from becoming a big, endless stalemate. Also, a couple of refinerys in the middle give some advantage without ruining the balance.

In these maps, the team working as a whole makes all the difference.

Now, why am I telling this? Because, I don't know how to map, nor have I time to learn it because I've so much other things to do. But still I'd like to see maps thought more from this perspective. It's a good thing that mapper can choose what kind of map he want to do, but random placing of refinery points around the map ain't helping anything. I think there should be more well-thought-out points where the fight for refinerys and territory is supposed to be.

And one more fact that makes a big difference. Placing trees, making cover for infantry is necessary. Big open space with nothing is a place for infantry massacre. Cover makes fighting more fun. Proning in a desert and being afraid you'll be noticed ain't that fun.

This is just my personal opinion.
    What do YOU think makes the best map and why?

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

hills

<filler>

o. Because.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

emp_canyon = most popular map

EDIT:

Mapping for empires is all about inconsistencies.

Infantry cover - space to build
    hill - space to build/tank driving
    alot of architecture - engine restrictions
    Water/cliffs - suicidal cv's
    chokepoint stallment - randomness in the open
    asf...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Lies. Hills = tank driving.

It's much more amusing to drive tanks in bumpy terrain, as you can't drive backwards and know you won't hit anything ever while shooting at someone behind you. That is a huge issue with classic empires maps.

5. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

So you like cyclopean. good to know.

I quite like nomis, where did that go?

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Hill means no room for placing buildings

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

how much room do you need for 1 or two bases though? that's all you really need ever. often times a team will win with 1 vf, 1 radar, 3 barracks an a couple of armories, maybe a repair pad.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its about that you can place your base on different places, however empires
    would need maps twice as big as now to put everything in it.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id go so far to say we'd need 16x bigger maps - for infantry only ...

ok that was a just a joke, but really 2-4 times bigger would be great ...

... is that implemented already? maybe some of us could contribute to such a huge map (basically just make prefabs - fully working with all entities needed, someone lays out a terrain and import it in hammer - some finetuning, renaming and organizing of flags and we should have a nice huge map to play on)

but then on the other hand - people already complain that they dont meet enemies on maps like KUTM (sry emp_king) and that map is standard hammer grid size.

btw i like the map, its only so few ppl play it, it most of the time sucks ...

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

being able to place a base anywhere is pointless, as it doesn't guide the gameplay, nor does it give anywhere any importance unless it's narrow enough for an engineer to wall off.

Now, if you add only a small amount of base compatible areas, fighting will be focused in those spots rather than at choke points. Choke points in the middle of the map suck. Choke points that enable you to hold your main base or a very small corner of the map are fine, As they can just be ignored for the most part.

Overall, huge must capture choke points are bad for the current gameplay unless They are only choke points for tanks, and infantry have little or no restrictions.

11. flasche

you can direct gameplay pretty well with eye catchers - people tend to go where buildings and stuff are ...

place enough of those and you can expect bases being built there. also refinaries and such usefull things get people to build bases nearby.

but i think you should have a maximum of maybe 4-6 places (including starts) where you can build up a full base, like with radar and vf and all that. raxes should be buildable almost everywhere around the map (with certain exceptions)

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

a barracks needs alot of flat space to be placed

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I dislike barracks spam. And barracks can be replaced by a flag capped spawn area. that has eye catchers and spawning ammo boxes.

Armory is the only thing that should be spammed across the map, as it's purpose is only to support.

14. flasche

bleh you take out a key element of empires when you restrict base building ...

take duststorm for example, its has space for tons of bases, infact i think you could build everywhere around the map.

most common are 5 base areas (being the 4 corners and the center, and center is a bit limited) and you can place "sneaky" rax all around the map. and besides NF dominating duststorm with LTs, its a great map, and i think very characteristic for how empires was intended to play.

similarities are found on virtually every official classic map (plz note i counted start locations too and only used the most basic strategies ...)

slaughtered - 6 possible bases, various rax locations
    duststorm - 5 major base locations more possible, tons of posibilities for raxes
    canyon - 4 major base locations, various locations for smaller expansions
    isle - 6/7 major base locations (center or not), various posibilities for more
    cyclopean - 5 bases, some rax spots
    mvalley - 6 base locations, additional rax spots

the only big exeptions are
    xroads - only 4 expansion raxes in center (and the map is ALLWAYS the same)
    and
    money - you can build expansion rax in center, and its a good but risky tactic in the beginning because you can lose a lots of tickets if you do.

anyway, as we all know money is lulzy but fails, and the experience of crossroads is not the best know in empires. we should stick to what most people seem to like. for official maps this seems to be canyon as a general prototype, at least thats something i heard of ...

dont get me wong. i really like various ideas of merging flag and classic maps, and i can see some maps with huge potential (like yours metal smith, also mayamas maps have something, besides being orange :scnr: ) but i think taking away the freedom of base building and go in a more prefabricated direction wouldnt fit empires as game very well. in the end its supposed to be a RTS-FPS blend.

oh and yes mayama im aware barracks take some space ... i didnt mean you should be able to make a tunnel out of raxes from one side to the other. i meant something more like canyon. there are lots of points, all around the map where you can place a rax, but no vf DIRECTLY adjacent to it ...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Delta is keyed towards field units rather than commanders. Commanders can control the flow of battle by giving orders and such. Their main is support, not control and dictatorship over the map. Com refusing to place a barracks isn't a negative for delta, though it can be a positive. there are areas to place the barracks at each corner, and just outside the main bridge to each base protected by hills. So, 6 barracks spots, a possible 7th in the very center. those 6 locations can fit most of a base, though they may not fit unless you conserve space well.

I just think limiting the way empires play to how "it's originally first meant to be played" is stupid. There are numerous ways to play a game. If empires was flat and 1 dimensional in gameplay like that, then it wouldn't be popular.

16. flasche

no i didnt mean to limit it to that, just keep it in mind, you can still add flags, i just dont think that making empires maps linear (or more linear) with relying only on capturable spawns makes a good map (which is the topic for this thread)

its valid to do it tho ...

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

Empires has a lot in place to turn what would be boring open fields into fun warzones. Canyon is still my favorite map yet it is pretty open. Even the 2 "canyons" are bigger than the passes in for example slaughtered.

The map when just compiled is as boring and empty as it'll ever be. When playing it these empty fields will be filled with huge buildings, defensive walls restricting access and providing cover, and dangerous turrets making a pass that first looked too big to become a chokepoint an area of chaos.

I have often thought ingame that when the map does not restrict the empires system, games turn out to be more fun. Empires has everything it needs to make for fun gameplay, and trying to do too much with the map just restricts this.

That said not all maps must be as open as duststorm. In fact duststorm is the limit imo.
    Areas of interest are sometimes nice. I'm no fan though of "king of the mountain" map types where one team controls a certain area and eventually wins the game because of it. Also i do feel that places like this are not really necessary for a an rts hybrid like empires. It all depends on a team's strategy. Whatever their plan one area will become more important than the other. If you add places of interest however, tactics become useless as for both teams they will just be "get there first and hold it".
    Having open fields does not mean infantry should have no cover. Quite the contrary. Canyon does this well, as it has huge fields, but with trees all around the areas for infantry, and here and there a few rocks and trees in the area itself. Placing buildings and walls will further make areas more interesting, while leaving enough room for vehicles to manouver.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

To be honest you can win those open maps by buying a light
    tank and destroing all those unprotected bases by yourself.

19. flasche

but thats a different part of the story, has little to do with mapping ...

i dont think its up to mappers to take care of something that can only be fixed by a modeler!?

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

How should a modeler fix it that on open maps at least half of the bases
    are unprotected?