We will ALL upgrade to Windows 10!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Mar 27, 2015.

?

Will you upgrade?

1. Yes, from Windows 7

62.5%
  2. Yes, from Windows 8/8.1

18.8%
  3. Yes, from Windows XP

6.3%
  4. No, I will install Steam OS

12.5%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

No matter how much you love Win 7, prepare to abandon it soon for Windows 10. The reason? DirectX 12, which comes exclusively to Win 10.

DirectX 12 will improve the performance of DrawCalls in the graphics pipeline, i.e. when the CPU asks the GPU to draw a polygon. This is exactly what you want if you like big multiplayer battles with tanks and stuff. Just look at this, Dx12 will improve the number of Drawcalls by almost 10 times!

[​IMG]http://www.pcper.com/files/review/2015-03-25/dx12-980.png

Since everyone can upgrade for free from Win 7 and later to Win 10, we will all be a happy metro family a year from now. :D

2. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Pixels! Numbers!
    Anyway, wether or not we upgrade is one thing, but are able to downgrade afterwards again seems another, or maybe the process of upgrading invalidates our windows XP/7/8 keys and makes them windows 10 keys ... thoughts?

Just wondering, windows 10 might end up being another of thoose wanna be Apple iOS type "with app style surface" OS' I might regretting upgrading too and I would hate to loose my windows 7 key.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You could always grab a freeish version and upgrade that, keeping your win 7 key.

On the fence on this, mostly because upgrades are a hassle. Don't feel like formatting and backing up tons of files then spending hours installing drivers/updates.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

My bf already has the technical preview version on his laptop (was Win 8 before) and so far it works pretty well. They made some actual improvements to the user interface and the like. For now it still crashes every now and then, but that's a technical preview for you.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm still going to hold off upgrading until I decide to chuck a good bit of my comp with it, and even then I'll just buy another hard drive so it'd be a clean install.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

[​IMG]

7. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Guess I gonna use my XP key when and if win 10 becomes stable and ... well, turns out to be useful.

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I ain't upgrading shit, 7 has been working great for me and its been a pain in the ass to get old shit running on it without the compatibility toolkit.

Me going for 10 will just complicate things more.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I had a dubious pleasure of working with 8.1 once and if 10's desing is anything even remotely close to it, ill be sticking to my 7 with its old style ui, thank you very much.

10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

If Classic Shell works on Win 10 that won't be a problem at all.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

This! xD

My only 2 problems with windows 8.1 vs win 7 are the metro/start menu and the pointless rearranging of some of the settings and some of them have been moved into the metro only.

Other then that, I like the performance improvements and the overall stability of it seems better IMO, seems a bit cleaner aswell.

But anyway. Gonna try win 10 for sure, but definitely not gonna lose this current win 8.1 that I got.

And anyway...people actually BUY windowses? XD

12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, the state of the control panel is pretty depressing in early win8 implementations. I'm honestly not sure if it's improved or not. Fuck, I hope so.

I still a habit of hitting the win key and then typing my search, so I suppose I actually wouldn't have any issues.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

Its just annoying when you first try it, but not a problem at all after getting used to it.

I just anyway always tend to ask the question "why?" when I go through some of the settings today xD

On some occasions, you will find yourself needing to go into control panel, but also into metro style settings to set up one thing/device.
    Some were removed from control panel and added into metro.
    It just doesnt make sense to split some settings like that xD

(...if they just didnt removed them from control panel.)

But whatever..its not a huge issue. Thx to Classic Shell, which partially helps with this annoying thing called Metro.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I have a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo coming in ready for it. WE BLAZING FAST NOW.

15. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I guess i can get a dual boot with my rusting 500GB...

16. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

There will be no good games on DX12.

17. Lazybum

How long has dx 12 been out for anyway? I assume not long at all, so it makes sense you haven't heard of anyone bothering with it yet.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I will wait for a Service pack to come out first and a minimum of one year. Thats even if I like the interface... otherwise its just another windows 8 to me.

19. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Because it's not released to the public yet. The only game with DX12 right now is Star Swarm in heavy WIP.

20. Lazybum

Well that's my point, it's silly for a lot of people to say nothing good is coming out for it when it hasn't been released yet. Though I would have thought some devs might have it, you know to showcase what it can do.

Edit: Oh neat, there's a star control coming out using that engine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015