Was 2.12 the best version of Empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Mar 14, 2010.

?

From 2.0 -> 2.24d, was 2.12 the best version overall?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2010.
  1. Yes

68.2%
  2. No

31.8%
  1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

tl ;dr

@ op

yes ,most definatelly

2. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Hey, empires RUNS on glitches.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

1.073 was the most fun tbh

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

5. Opie

Opie Member

1.073. Hands down. Best version of the game.

The early 2's had some really fun games tho.

Command dueling was funnest when it was new. When I first start boom-tanking rushing regularly (mind you this was when people kicked out comms if the moved because they were griefing) I decided oh wth I will just rush my comm on money. That was the funnest, most stressful and most epic game I have ever commed. I started up the comm, dropped half the refs, drove to the other side, and listened to hillarity (all talk was on). My team screaming at the mics that I was griefing, to vote me out. The other team screaming because the enemy comm was chasing them.

There was one game where I single handedly won the game. I joined a game (map m_valley), they had heavy tanks in our base, we had no comm. I spawn, and instantly the barracks was destroyed. I jumped in the comm, knocked all the heavy tanks that followed me into the water off the bridge. Went to a corner of the map, dropped a new barracks, dropped an ammo box, switch to gren, and then ninja'd their comm.

Then there was the time, maybe it was you, sonata, maybe not, that was comm (map mvalley) and the comm accidentally drove into the river. And then Hillarity ensued as our team tried to 9-mine the comm out while the other team watched/"tried to help".

But still, 1.073 was the best version all around. People bitching about how BE was overpowered, yet NF by far had the best weapons. Simon and I owned that version. :(

6. yobbo

yobbo Member

I didn't play enough 2.12 to comment on that. But out of the 2.2x versions, 2.24 was probably the best(esp. with pickled's balance scripts):

-2.21&2.22 did have some bad bugs/gameplay (vehicle hadlig was poorl)
    -2.23 has the be the worst, balance-wise. Mk2s, super electrical and all armors getting upwards of 20% armor hp buff.
    2.24 improved balance, but made be > nf instead of the other way around every verson, and not such a large gap.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes somehow the (imo quite nice) idea of NF having the early game advantage while BE rapes everything late game got forgotten over all the other "imbalances" ...

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Problem is maps change this completely. Some maps its easy as fuck for BE to turtle up while other open maps its near impossible.

9. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I agree.
    I miss the SMG3, the lolwut HE-arties, the weird tube NF scout-rifle which was instantkill at close range and emp_gauntlet. Oh, and absorbant.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

1.8 testing was the best

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Single greatest version was when krenzo first added stickies and you could sticky someone, swap teams and it would kill them. It only lasted like a day but oh it was glorious.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Greatest version was the 1.08 RC with sticky mines ;)

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

1.8 testing had the same magic and amount of fun that golden eye 64 had when it came out.. At least to me.