Wall destruction animation should react to built height

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cokemonkey11, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

When you build a wall, it starts low and gradually gets pushed upwards. If you destroy a wall, the same death animation plays, full size.

I suggest making the death animation adjust to wall's build-level.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Not feasible. An unbuilt wall is simply the full model placed several feet into the ground. The wall giblets are simply the wall model split up in several pieces. One would have to dynamically change the models of the giblets to get the desired effect.

3. Metruption

Metruption Member

lower xyz coords of where the cneter of the explosion effect is with relation to how built the wall is?

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Then the giblets get stuck in the ground and you still see a fully-built wall in front of you, but one you can shoot through.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What about debris fade time being related to how built the wall was? I know it isn't exactly the solution to the problem, but at least you won't have a debris field from getting a bunch of unbuilt walls destroyed.

...I should add I still really love that walls gib now :p

7. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Well, I think you mean "not easy". The current implementation looks so terrible though, sometimes.

What if there were 3-4 "levels" of build, which each have separate gib effects. See "birth" animation here for example of what I mean.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

Make the giblets happen, I'm sure they will be implemented :rolleyes:

9. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

It's this kind of attitude that makes projects die (note that I didn't say the game/community dies)

Why would you ever discourage improvement to a project you like? That's just backwards.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's suggested to do the work yourself if you really want something to happen, see angry's new barracks and radar and redskull's vehicles. Even small things can get implemented if it generally improves something and takes no effort from devs to implement, see some people's script changes or research icons.

It's just at this point people go "who me? Do work? Nah, that's for the devs to do." without considering they already have a ton of stuff that they either want to or need to implement instead. I think that's the thing destroyer is rolling his eyes about, tons of people want someone else to do the work when it's possible for them to do it themselves.

11. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I can do the work myself? Empires is open source? Where is the repository?

Where is the issue tracker that developers are using with triage?

I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know - haven't been around in many years.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I've got some bad news friend.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm not sarcastic. Literally go put together wall giblets that look good enough and they will 99% be added into the game.

14. Beerdude26

Just contact me or Candles and we'll discuss it with the rest of the dev team and give you a go / no go. You can always download the Source 2013 SDK from Github and implement the functionality and open-source it.

Too much potential problems. Modified client would be able to do a lot of cheatey stuff.

Gitlab.

We use Trello boards

15. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I don't have the capacity to become a full developer, which is part of the attraction to open source - I could dick around with it in my own time and send a pull request if I made anything interesting.

Sounds like you have bigger problems than this thread :) Network protocols can always be secure.

I've never been so relieved by a response from source mod developers...

16. Beerdude26

Heh. We used to just host our own Git and project management was done via forum threads. We switched to this new workflow a few months ago.