Vehicle weapons concerns

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by dizzyone, Jul 31, 2007.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I was wondering what you guys all think of some of the vehicle weapons, anything you hate/love about a certain weapon or research tier, or any weapon you would wish to fulfill a different role as it does currently. Hopefully we can come to some conclusions and improve vehicle weapon balancing.

I have a lot of ideas for balancing myself and had already made a small start for instance to try and make missiles more useful with 1.08. I didn't do much in the end as it did not have the desired effect.

I myself find that missiles are underused, they are more like a sawed off shotty you have in your left hand to do some additional damage, even though guided missiles are well suited for long range combat, the pace of tank battles does not allow it to be used like that currently. I'd like to pretend they are just underused :P

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Homing missiles really need to lock on quicker, and need to lock on from further away (out of the range of a standard cannon preferably) maybe with the help of scout spotting or a radar.

They also need to stop beeping after 5 seconds of lock on, or the sound has to change. It's really annoying.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Those are homing missiles, guided missiles are the ones you guide yourself, like grenadier rockets. But I agree, although a standard cannon can hit crazy far, that would only be useful on maps like mvalley, and even then im pretty sure it wouldn't be useful.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Guided missiles are useless because of the limited turret range, and usually slow turn speed.

5. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Well... Weapons' weights need balancing. All weapons weight same amount now, well... machine guns weight different amount but all the other vehicle weapons weight same 100 units amount.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  6. davee magee

davee magee Member

making guided missiles more accurate and faster, with a longer range would be wayyyyyyyyy to over powered, and not really fun at all;

a better solution would be to:

- increase the number of missiles (if this is possible)
    - make the missiles models smaller, mabe making them a swarm of mini-missiles (that would bve awesome)
    - increase there speed and accuracy, so they're practical at close range (not so much that you cant see the cool new models tho...)
    - keep the distance limit, or maybe even make it smaller, i reckon making this weapon almost like a shotty of tanks would be quite cool
    - make the dmg of all the individual missiles small, but as a whole to a reasonable amount of dmg,
    - make it weigh quite alot (you'll see why below)

all of these together would completely change the image of the weapon, i think for the better.

i reckon it would be cool to have a weapon that would discourage ramming, and getting to close to your enemy,

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Increase the ammo of the Railgun; it fires crazy fast and doesnt have enough ammo to last you anything...

Plasma Gun is rarely used, I havent tried it since 1.07...

Maybe we should have a giant Tank war with everthing ressearched testing out combinations that usualy would never get used...

Also the low use of missles is due to their spread and slow speed, that way you can't hit anything unless its close range...

In med/heavies it is better to use that 2/3 ML slot for either Nukes or Bio missiles, the rest just don't compare to the firepower at a decent range...

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Missles suck, flat out suck.

What we really need is a cluster bomb

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think standard cannon fires too fast... the speed that those things can kill a barracks is really scary...

the standard cannon is so good that often people don't research any other weapons.

-------------------------------------------

I also think that the power of the chaingun, although good, means that no other machinegun weapon EVER needs to be researched.

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

Seconded on both counts. It's all about DPS (damage per second) here. A standard cannon delivers way too much damage over a given time period to warrant researching other things.

11. Mr. Weedy

Knighttemplar. You obviously haven't used salvo missiles nor salvo homing missiles. Those are deadly. You can destroy buildings at those things very fast.

I noticed on Vehicle Wars yesterday that plasma MG is way too overpowered. Only few shots and you are overheated. Also Plasma Cannon is way too overpowered even it doesn't do much damage but it heats you like hell.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's the point of plasma weaponary. it's the tank killer. not so great against infantry or buildings, but against tanks it SHOULD be the master.

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Weedy: How is salvo missles much different than firing four missles really fast?

Standard missle has better radius/force and damage.

Just takes a second longer and adds a little heat

14. Mr. Weedy

It isn't tank KILLER it is just tank STOPPER. It slows them down to overheated stage where they can't shoot nor move but it for sure doesn't kill them because it does less damage than weakest non-plasma weapon.

Edit: I did some calculations and they aren't better after all.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I third the motion to tone down the standard vehicle cannon RoF. The refire rate is a little crazy. There's little to no point in swapping it out even when you have meds and a 2 slot cannon researched. Those take a rediculous (looking at you HE cannon) amount of time before you can get another shot off when the other guys just drives up and pummels you with a standard and 2x the fire rate.

16. Kuma

Kuma Member

To reinforce that fact, yesterday I loaded a BE heavy with 6 standard cannons, bio diesel, and 1 layer of regen armor. I took out a refinery and made a barracks smoke after 2 volleys. While railguns and HE cannons are powerful, my 6 cannon beast would annihilate anyone that got to close (assuming they didn't kill my 1 layer of armor first.) And all you need is the heavy body, regen armor, and bio diesel. Nothing else.

17. Mr. Weedy

I think the unbalance of all the weapons would get fixed pretty much completely by reducing the rate of fire and tweaking some damage amounts.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

haha the ol' 6 cannon beat of a machine... :D

in reality, it's totally shite, but it's fun to make. it's much more effective to just have two small cannons (or two railguns :D) because of the heat.

that's another factor that makes the small cannon so great. if you are actually just going somewhere to blow some stuff up, then you might as well only have one standard cannon instead of two, because the reality is that all you're going to do is just fire it until you over heat, which means that having two only decreases the time that you can do that in... it doesn't actually allow you to fire a single extra shot off. That's why LT's are so powerful- you get one of the best weapons in the game and although it is slower to heat up to full than a med, it delivers the exact same payload.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Except you have 2 times as much ammo with 2 small cannons.

20. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I'm with Knight about the homing missles. As it is now its a waste of research. They take too long to lock on and loose their lock too easily. Range of say a lvl1 ml? They still have a slow reload...as long as both sides have access to it I fail to see how it 'd create unbalance. Up it or rid it, cause its just filler.

Of course its be said prolly 100s a times all over the forums about the Uranium, and the explosive,but they are rediculous. Let them keep its power and all that, just lower the cartridge amount to 5, 10? b4 reload. (not my idea) but I liked it so here it is.

Nukes...should cause colateral damage to ALL tanks/infantrybuildings both enemy and friendly within its radius.
    Also an armor that would negate the use of a Nuke yet less effective against canon fire would be great also, would also be a part solution to the next thread about dumbing down armor..