Vehicle Converting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AcePremium, Feb 26, 2008.

1. AcePremium

AcePremium Member

I was reading about Vehicle stealing, and I understand that It's a bad idea because of confusion. I'm sorry for bringing it up.

What if you could convert and enemy vehicle to your own based on the vehicle type or some other way. (To save your resources). If It's a bad idea just let me know.

2. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

What do u mean. Do u mean salvageing enemy tanks? Also how will it effect gameplay?, will teamwork decreece or will it encorage teamwork?, the biggest must is that all suggestions must have:

Pros:
    What is good about the idea

Cons:
    What is bad about the idea

Altenative:
    How can u counter some of these cons and if not what else could you do with the idea

3. AcePremium

AcePremium Member

Say you have an engineer/scout they go up to an enemy vehicle and 'E' or Right click this will activate the converting effect which will take some time. After the time is done the enemy vehicle will be converted into one or your team vehicle. It will increase teamwork because while the engineer is converted (and repairing because the vehicle with still have the same damage as it was converted.) he needs to covered. Also with the problem of the enemy trying to use the vehicle to the finish would be no different because he can simply get out and kill any person trying to convert and then retreat back. Some bad things is that the saving of resources could make the game go too long.

4. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Hillbilyy, you seem to have misunderstood, what Ace is saying: he has previously brought up a thread with this idea, and it was evidently shot down, and now he is saying sorry (very graciously) for bringing it up in the first place. Also, please get the firefox spellcheck plugin, please!

5. Namst

Namst Member

The Boff's not kidding, it will benifit the empires community as a whole. Nothing personal mind you, but often I have trouble understanding your posts because of too many misspellings.

6. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Though, an alternative would be to have the tank painted the team colors... or not implemented at all.

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Well, this addresses one of the big issues, but there are still others.

One problem, of course, is that vehicles are not the same between teams. What happens if you're on BE and steal a NF heavy with two cannons? What if you're on NF and steal a BE heavy with two sets of missiles? Your own team's tanks don't have room for that.

Another problem is the balance issue. Stealing a tank is, basically, random -- there's not much skill involved. You can't force people to step out, and you can't force them to leave vehicles unattended, so you're talking total luck in coming across it... and when you do, you could be stealing something worth over a thousand res, and immediately using it to wreck any buildings nearby. If you sneak into the enemy base and steal a tank someone left by the VF, it could be game over, or at least it could seriously cripple them. And on top of that, stealing a tank would let you get around the research tree, suddenly using weapons your team hasn't researched... that massively impacts the game's balance.

It wouldn't generally involve any teamwork, either. It's just one guy sneaking in and lucking out when they find an unattended tank. That's a major problem for any suggestion.

And on top of all this is the real problem: Why? What does this add to the gameplay, in terms of balance? How does it enhance the game for everyone else?

It seems like it's just something people want to add because "it's cool". Now, I'm not totally against adding things just because they're cool -- don't get me wrong. Everyone loves cool stuff, and if something's easy to add and doesn't have very many issues to worry about, I'd say, sure, add it if it's cool... as long as there's no real drawbacks we wouldn't need a compelling reason.

But in this case we're talking about having to deal with massive balance issues, major 'hackish' behavior (tanks suddenly changing appearance completely?), and all sorts of other problems. It's a big pile of headaches, and you'd need a better reason to add it than "stealing tanks is cool."

8. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I do have a spellcheacker and firefox at home but I make posts from many diffeant places. This one ive made from school and we cant install anything on the pc's. ^^

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Then i'd suggest not posting from a school pc.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Winrar

11. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

What about things deconstructed by engineers gets a small res bonus?

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I've had that idea too, but I think it's actually bad.

-really, majorly dull. it's like adding anti fun to empires
    -creates annoying moments where someone shoots at an abandoned tank to kill it, while you're trying to help the team by deconning it.
    -further rewards rep upgrade, which stops people choosing revive and turret upgrade.

13. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Maybe you get res when you kill a tank?

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Again, though... what does this add to the game? Why do it?

It would give teams a way to recover if they don't have enough res to build a refinery and lack things to recycle. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.

Perhaps it would also make losing tanks more serious, even for the team with lots of res... this way, if you have a ton of refs, you can't just spam tanks mindlessly to win, since if the enemy kills them they might catch up. It would give people who are behind in refs an advantage (or at least, a potential way to come back) overall... that could be good or bad. I suppose in that regard it might not be so bad.

Another way to do it: Perhaps engineers could have the ability to use their tools on the blackened, burnt-out shells of buildings and tanks (both friendly and unfriendly) to recover a bit of the res that went into them? This wouldn't be allowable with recycled buildings for obvious reasons. (Well, perhaps it could be allowed, if the total res gained back from comm recycling + engie recycling the remains is still equal to or less than the amount the object cost to build... in that case it might not be so bad.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008