Upgraded Grenadier RPG = Guided, Advanced Grenadier RPG = Homing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BitterJesus, Jan 28, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Simple suggestion, when you research Upg you get guided abilities, when you research Advanced, you can lock on to target, and as long as you hold down the fire button, the missile will continue to fly on target. (It'll take some time to lock on just like the homing missile)

We have to do the pro-con thing so here I go:

Pros:

Would encourage grenadiers to research Upg/Adv Grenadier
    Would add on the increased damage that the research already provides

Cons:

Would remove the much-needed guided abilities of rockets in the early game
    Nerf of grenadier

Alt:
    Keep Guided as it is, but once UPG is researched, improve the guiding abilities (as good as Guided Missile for tanks) and once ADV is researched, increase the splash damage radius.

or

Once UPG is researched give homing abilities, and once ADV is researched, increase the speed of the RPG.

2. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

i love it personallybut still give a huge boost in damage

3. communism

communism poof

I would like to see faster rpg's and improved guiding with the research. I'm not for the homing cause a lot of the times I'll fire a missle alter its flight path a bit then forget about it

4. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Shouldn't this be in electrical engineering? That way a commander who wants to increase his grenadiers' effectiveness can grab it while he grabs guided/homing missiles instead of having to divert into a separate tree to get it.
    Perhaps making both a guided and a homing rocket launcher and the grenadier can switch on the load out screen as they both will have different uses.

5. Sirex

Sirex Member

This should be in electrical engineering, and damage should stay in chemistry. Also i am for your alt suggestion, we really need guided in early game.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like to have the RPG rockets to be faster, imo homing is not really needed.

7. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Good point, but it should be a separate from GL and HL

8. Kai

Kai Member

This would work out great if they would only implement a good infantry/equipment research program.

9. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Why not have physics research that makes the rockets faster and something for Bio (possibly adding bio damage to the warhead)? This would allow a commander in any tree to upgrade his grenadiers' equipment in addition to his research path, instead of having to make a large diversion.

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

The idea might run into some conflicts between Homing Rpgs and the armor detection skill.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Game, I never understood any of your posts. Why the hell would there be conflicts?

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

With homing you cant decide which side of the tank you
    want to hit, with guided you can.

13. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

If you just shoot at a tank = Dumb Fire
    If you hold left mouse button = Guided
    Hold right mouse button = You will lock on the target, and when you release you will fire the missile.

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Increasing RPG splash is dangerous, because it would potentially make RPGs a powerful unlimited-range anti-infantry weapon.

Increasing RPG speed is dangerous for the same reason.

If either of those suggestions were made, it would probably be necessary to specifically and explicitly have RPGs do little or no damage to infantry -- which, yes, might feel silly, but we don't want another sniper rifle or mowtar. The RPG should not be an effective ranged anti-infantry weapon.

15. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Yes, the trouble I'd have with it is my own choice as the gren. If the research let me choose between guided or homing I'd be happy.

16. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I would never like a homing RPG.
    I like your first alternate suggestion.

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

why not just add homing rpg and guided rpg options to the homing and guided sections of the tech tree. so a team that is really dedicated to their grens can really buff, them but it takes a long time and would put you way behind in terms of vehicles.

like how valve deepened the engineer class by allowing the engineer to upgrade his teliports and dispencers.

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

Alt Fire = Damage-dampened homing barrage?

I think it should be some kind of salvo of rockets, like a roman candle, except not as powerful, but with higher DPS.

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

if someone stays in 1 spot long enough for you to blow them up with an RPG from a distances outside of mortar range (the ideal choice for gren infantry combat in the first place), they deserve to be hit.

20. communism

communism poof

Mortar is a 30/70 decision for fighting tanks, it gets to the target faster and does (less) damage unless its been changed and is idealy for combo's (Paper tanks, mortar + rpg). RPG has a faster rate of fire/more damage and doesn't need thought into where to place the shot.