Upgradable Refineries

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by RoboTek, Oct 2, 2009.

1. QMAN

QMAN Member

That is bad idea, coz upgraded refinerys will be serve much more to actually "winning" team, that broke actual balance.

Maybe we just should do "sabotaged refinerys" gave half output, to other team? :P XD (money leaching ^^) , on that way scout class will be have much more value

2. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I'm guessing someone hasn't read the other 4 pages.

They do not inherently favor the winning team or the losing team (unless their upgrade rate is huge or minuscule) and add a very nice extra strategic layer. Try playing a RTS game with them in it, like Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes, or the Dawn of War series (both 1 and 2) or Total Annihilation or.... you get the idea.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You do realise that supreme commander usually results in a loss for the player who doesn't cap a good share of the map at the start? And dawn of war is almost impossible to play without a good map income? I can't even win against the AI if I don't cap a lot of territory.

4. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Isn't that what we're trying to achieve here anyway? We want new territory to be a better option than upgrading a refinery, but if those refs are behind entrenched enemy lines, then this is another option if a team wants to spend the extra resources.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You misunderstand, supreme commander and dawn of war result in loss for the team with less control because all the resource points get upgraded and it makes no difference.

Besides who gives a frigging shit about choosing between capping territory or not capping territory? It adds fuck all, players still go and shoot each other and the losing team still has less cash and the game is fundamentally unchanged.

Besides who the hell would choose between killing enemy refs and placing them yourself for more or less free, and spending stupid amounts of money on something which yields less return?

6. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

You pretty much make my point for me. I suggest you give valid criticism or stop posting in this topic. Your definition of the same is if players still shoot each-other and the losing team has less cash. Right now I am just sorta hoping you are a troll, because this so so absurd it ought to be.

7. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Make the return worth it after the initial cost is paid off. Fixed.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This is what I foresee if this is added:

Comm, update this ref!
    ZOMG COMM, UPDATE THE REFS!
    COMMMM!
    F-S-SPACE, EVERYONE!
    *team gets crushed by the side that did update their refs*

...times infinity. Sure, there's some strategy involved, but for the most part it will just be another way for inattentive or newbie comms to fail, without adding much depth to the game as a whole.

9. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

There is already little-enough skill in Comming. Spam targets, place rax, factory, and radar in appropriate places. Research the flavor-of-the-month research The interface is a bit of a pain to get used to, but after comming twice you should get the idea. Everything else is being willing to do nothing interesting for a game.

The learning curve is something like an hour, it is easier than most other aspects of the game. Anything that adds to the stuff you can do the improve the team while in the comm seat is a boon.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Perfect illustration of why having a commander is a bad idea ladies and gentlemen.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for me it only proves the point that we need commander skills. the commander idea works perfectly in savage 2 for example ... there also are guys that volunteer for that position although its not needed at all (if theres no comm the builder classes can place the buildings)

but if another game did it, its prolly not UNIQUE enough to be used in empries ... did i guess right? :pathetic:

12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

lol?

I'm personally for adding comm abilities/spells. Just no direct damage ones.

13. flasche

what lol, where did i say direct damage?

fucking stop putting fucking words in my fucking mouth fuck it ... ^^

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

Getting killed by a power dropped by the enemy comm would only be as irritating as getting killed by arty, or nukes.

Read into that what you will.

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Your satirical retort is not unique enough. It does not belong in Empires.

Also, @OMNI, only slightly more irritating since at least artys/nukes have to be aimed by some idiot in a vehicle. Comms smite from ze skies! But I totally know what you mean.

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Well, let the commander have non-killing abilites? Except for the parachuted jeep/ammobox.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id have to bring to the conversation that they added upgradeable refineries in supcom with the intent to INCREASE slippery slope, because with all the experimentals, and some good radars defending was kinda easy in the beta's

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  18. flasche

:|ove: ^^

19. Deiform

Deiform Member

And scout rifle.

20. Omneh

Omneh Member

Indeed.