Unlocking infantry skills with weapon research.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The idea is when you research a weapon, say bio or he, you also unlock the ability for players to select a skill that would have resistance to said weapon. Not every weapon would have a resistance for obvious reasons, but it gives players a option to counter tank research on the ground at the expense of a skill slot.

The benefits are 2 that I can think of. One is that this seamlessly ties infantry research to regular weapon research, so commanders don't have to make extra choices or require the some extra research facility for infantry research, something like ns2 does. The other benefit is that it isn't a flat buff to everyone, which would make weapons pointless if the enemy counter researches, so they can still be effective.

Con is of course programming time. This would definitely be a bit harder to implement then some things, partly because it touches on the gui a bit. It doesn't have to actually change anything current though. I do think if it was kept simple for now, like unlocking resists for the usual stuff people complain about, it wouldn't complicate the skill list too much but give much more options for players, which I think is a good thing. Though I know all skills are code side, so if there was some specific skill resist to add on a programmer would have to do it. If the resists themselves could be modified script side that would be awesome though.

I don't think this would over complicate things either, it's just an extra option for players to take, like hp regen or hp increase but more useful against a specific thing that is really troubling them instead of a general useful passive against a larger selection.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Firstly, infantry research is hard to do properly if it's interleaved with vehicle research. Too many headaches to be worth the implementation time.

Secondly, putting the counter to a weapon in the same area as that weapon is just sloppy. No one wants "erma gerd, they gawt bio, we need bio 2". That makes me cry.

If we had a separate infantry research tree and decided to pepper resist skills throughout the trees (would infantry research even use trees?), then that'd make enough sense. Idk if that'll happen in the future, but a guy can hope, eh?

3. Lazybum

Well, fair enough about counters being the same thing. I was thinking if it is just a passive that has to be selected as a skill not everyone will bother because that means no repair upgrade or speed upgrade, useful things you know? So I don't think people would demand it like they use to demand regen if they had bio.

I'll rethink things and see if I can come up with something better I suppose.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

These types of suggestions require more comprehensive examples when you suggest them. And they need an overall system behind them, something you can demonstrate the mechanics behind and how it'll work out.

And then you have to sit back and watch your well-thought out, comprehensive and actually very good idea go to waste for a few years.

5. ImSpartacus

I think he communicated it adequately. I can't think of any outstanding questions.

6. Lazybum

Yeah I didn't quite think it was necessary to expand the idea ikalx on the specifics. Most people understand the basic idea of the resistance system. Unless you thought a more intricate system had some appeal? Like instead of bio damage having a flat resistance you would instead absorb it healing you. Or getting plasma or more likely advanced cooling opened an option for infantry to recover stamina whenever getting hit by anything. Actually that sounds like abs, or armor research in general.

Hmm, there's the idea of tying it to armor research. The idea of making a scaled down version for infantry use. Though I feel like if I fully expand this idea we end up with a vf menu for infantry. I'm not sure people want to spend a bunch of time fiddling with that.

Eh, I'll do it anyway. Imagine an armor slot for infantry. You can either do 1 of 2 things, have some hard values that modify infantry stats like armor for vehicle does. Get reactive and they can either have a straight hp buff or simply increase the resistance to everything by a small amount at the cost of a smaller stamina bar. People could take it or keep the default stuff.

The other and much more flexible idea is to make it have some slider bars that increase the resistance to whatever weapon damage type you want. Like if it had 5 bars, one each for bio, explosive, vehicle mg bullets, kinetic forces(to differentiate between most cannons and vehicle mgs) and missile. You couldn't normally use these sliders, or they cap out at like 10%, until you research the relevant weapon types. Then you could increase them all the way to 50%, but you have a hard cap of 50 to split between all resists so you can only max out 1. If you wanted you could make it a bit more complex by allowing people to further increase to 75 or even 100% but they have to make some values negative, resulting increased damage from that type. If you don't like the idea of being immune you could keep that 50% cap but they can increase more than 1 to max at the cost of weakness in other damage types.

Now that I think about it this one is pretty similar to that vehicle having customizable stats thing I made awhile back. Of course that one like this one is a lot more work not just in code but gui work too.

I am agreeing with spart though, having resists in the same tree is bad unless it was a separate tree, but this was about the only way I could think of that made sense in that it was easy to understand and didn't require extra research time and didn't require an extra tree which is another thing to balance. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I know I can think of something that would at least separate them, but I just need a bit of time.

7. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Research Jetpacks?
    Make nades unlockable by research.

8. ImSpartacus

I'm strangely attracted to this.

That's how much I hate grenades.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

bring back unlock able RPG upgrade?

10. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Also lots of tiny upgrades, like 5% more ammo per clip in multiple steps for a total of 20% at the end. Making E-building faster. Increasing the squadaura radius a little, also in multiple steps. Improving rank-unlockable skills, for example make speed upgrade increase speed by 1% more per level of the research.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

I would like infantry research a lot.

+1

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, I was thinking a proper system rather than some resists. So proper and interesting skills instead of damage type resistances. Mostly because resistances suck and they aren't really a fun skill to have, and also that many classes can't trade a skill slot for something like that.

Also, HP upgrade would probably provide a better alternative since it works across the board. It might not work against one particular damage type, but it gives you an extra shot to the face, so...

Sorry I'm not really offering alternatives or addressing your posts very well. My brain's kinda dead and I don't want to spend time integrating the research tree into my head with this system attached, and then resolving it to find skills. That takes a lot of energy and...I've run out a bit recently.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  13. Lazybum

Yeah I can see, I just thought resists would be the simple way to test the waters. The more complicated the suggestion the less likely it will get in or even tested.

Originally I was thinking about bio and what would happen if it healed instead of damaged you. With the way the research tree normally works you couldn't have it be a flat buff to everyone, it would make bio a terrible weapon to use, so I thought skill slots. I do agree about health upgrade being the simple option for everything, but if you could increase a resistance to at least 50 or more likely 75% I bet quite a few people would op for that instead of hp upgrade.

I'll give grenning an example. When meds and heavy tanks start rolling around what ends up killing me the most isn't other infantry it is tanks with he cannon or bio or whatever weapon. Generally speaking most people tend to run around with only one decent infantry weapon, so you could counter that with the resist skill staying alive much longer then when you just use hp upgrade.

I don't quite agree about classes needing certain skills to function properly. Most have 1, engy has 2 with repair and revive. Past that anything can work.