Unbuilt walls should be possible to crush

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jun 20, 2007.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

lt, jeeps, and APC should not. everything else uses full tracks, so should be able to easily.

2. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

No. All vehicles except jeeps, should be able to go straight through unbuilt walls. Jeeps because people want to jeep race. What would be the reason behind giving the ability only to heavy vehicles, on behalf of gameplay?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this is a hard one to call; walls appear that they should be pretty solid in this game. if they looked like sandbags, then fine, but they don't. they look like really solid metal things. which is exactly what a tank trap is.

If we perhaps added a portable sandbag wall, carriable by all infantry (purchasable at the armour :D) then that would be perfect.

also, though this shouldn't especially stop you, i can't picture a way of this not looking crap. does the vehicle drive into it and it falls over, does it pop out of existance? none of those look good.

4. Aurora

Yeah walls should be solid - when they're built.

Unbuilt, they should appear transparent and be vulnerable to vehicles, like I said. If you want tank traps, then place walls near an engineer and tell him to build each one only a little bit. Can't be too hard.

Let me quote myself;

Falling over would look great too IMO, now that you mentioned it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

lol vehicles of a certain weight

I can imagine being in a med tank and saying to myslef crap, I should have added that extra ml so that I could crush this wall.

lts should not be able to crush walls as they are little more than armoured cars

6. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Have the model be sandbags until its built up further and reinforced with metal stuff. :D

7. Aurora

I think it would be neat if it was completely made of sandbags and wood plank supports and stuff. Like sandbags appearing one by one on the top row, planks popping up here and there every once in a while

8. picard131

picard131 Member

THAT would be awesome. Makes me feel like I'm building something rather than shooting a magically growing steel wall with my calculator.

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

so You actually have to choose between having a faster tank (low weight) or a slower wall crushing fortress of doom :P

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

ok, how bout this
    Walls start out even shorter
    this means that tracked tanks can get over them no problem. Walls could be built to a certain hight to allow some vehicles and not others
    for instance, a BE team with Med could build the walls 10% lets say, which could keep out NF Lts but allow BE tanks to roll over (although more slowly)

I say, walls just start out lower

11. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

You stole that idea out of my mind! Seriously, I was thinking the exact same thing.

It shouldn't be too hard to start the walls out really low, then increase the build height exponentially, so that it starts out very low and by about 75% built it rockets up to full height. That way you actually have to build it awhile before tanks are blocked, AND you don't have to resort to making new models for walls (which would take time, wouldn't it?)

for example, Y=X^2/100, where Y is % of total height and X is % of total build (i.e. % of health).

Build %___Real Height (% of total height)
    10_______1
    20_______4
    25_______6.25: Starting wall height @ Current Drop HP
    30_______9
    40_______16
    50_______25
    60_______36
    70_______49
    80_______64
    90_______81
    100______100

The numbers could be adjusted accordingly to suit whatever equation you wanted--let's assume tanks can only climb above 30% of the wall's height-you could, say, restrict it so the 30% height was only reached upon completing 60% of the wall-- after which if would shoot up hella fast.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

The problem with this is that it stops commanders dropping walls for rifleman and grenadiers in the field that need cover, which I thought was a really cool feature of the mod.

What's wrong with the sandbag idea (other than new model)

i.e, commander dropped walls are the current ones, engineer built ones start off as a pile of sandbags (that can be driven over) and then wood and stuff comes out of the top of those.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Maybe the commander could drop sandbags, they'd be buildable for more effect, but vehicles could drive over them.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

it would be nice if bunkers could be placed in the field. a small sphere with a door in the back, that will quickly die under non-infantry fire.

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I have no problem with sandbags, I'm just looking for the simplest solution, programing-wise. (and I don't know squat about programming.) But, if you're GOING to add sandbags anyway, how about this:

A. Keep my wall proposal-- where the build starts off slow and finishes quickly (that's what she said!)
    and
    B. Include commander dropped sandbag/lower hp protection that is faster to build or no build time is needed, just drop it and go. Naturally it would be weaker and maybe even have a weakness to cannon fire. These could even be another option for engineers.

I don't know which is simpler-- having one wall that slowly evolves from sandbags to wall and is programmed so that tanks can destroy the sandbags, or having a wall and a sandbag idea.

Also, if Pvt. Sandbag gets to have sandbags put in game, I ask, nay, DEMAND that lobsters be incorporated into Empires.

Offtopic:
    # of posts until tBL reaches 1000: 15

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007