Unbuilt walls should be possible to crush

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

When a commander or an engineer places walls, they should initially be vulnerable to vehicles and be a little bit transparent, until they get touched by the magical calculator sparks. Vehicles should be able to just drive through unbuilt walls, audibly crush them, and turn them into bits of metal junk.

Why?

Because walls, I believe, are meant for defense, not offense. Too often a commander can stick walls in front of an enemy vehicle and get it stuck or kill it on impact. Not only is it annoying as FUCK, it makes no sense, and only ever brings misery to a good match. I just can't put into words how GAY it is when a ton of metal appears out of nowhere in front of you, because the proximity of the guy chasing you allowed the commander to place walls (which more often than not are used to block vehicles), which can instantly serve their current main purpose without being built at all.

It's almost as bad as if it was possible to place fully built turrets across the map, annoyingly ambushing the enemy without doing much work at all.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Agreed... Engineers magicly popping walls out of nowhere that stop tanks dead in their tracks and sometimes even kill them isn't fun at all; same goes for commander walling...

Though there goes walling the CV in though :p

3. Aurora

With some teamwork you can have a few engineers build walls together and trap the CV, but they, much less a single engineer, should NOT be able to do that in 5 FUCKING SECONDS, as they currently are able to.

4. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

JJ45 is just pissed that he got walled as comm and lost the game.

5. Aurora

...Yes, after which I furiously defeated NF twice by APC rushing them and walling THEIR comm, whoever it was (you?) so I'm not really pissed anymore. That temporary period of rage isn't the sole reason behind this suggestion. But it surely felt stupid that it was taking way longer trying to remove the walls, than the few seconds it took you to place the 8 rows of them. It was the pure luck of NF combined with the great power of walls, that defeated me.

6. FalconX

FalconX Developer

It's much better than it was, but I still agree. I'm fairly sure there some threads bumping around for something like this, and it and similar suggestions have been in discussion for a while.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

great idea

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I second the idea.

I am also in favor of the wall having only as much HP in it, as the engineer puts in. Currently, soon as the wall is dropped, it has full hp. Which is really retarded that an engy can drop a wall if he is getting attacked by a tank and hid there for who knows how long while he makes a turret or sets down a box so he can nade spam the tank.

While I am at it... Make tank cannons more effective against walls. I can sit there shooting the frigging wall for 3 mins or I can spend 10 seconds deconstructing the damn thing.

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

No, it was me. I gotta learn how to counter those early APC rushes.

Anywho, I totally agree with JJ here. Not only should vehicles be able to pass through initially placed walls, ramming half-built walls should hurt them as well.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

walls should be god against explosions and cannons, if tanks can get through walls with ease, whats the point of having em.

Ive been walled in many times, but Ive also walled comms since the dawn of empiresmod :D
    There were idd some threads about this already, and falconX seems to dislike the fact he got walled in after he lost his base and tried to drive to the other side of the map where he had a single engineer building a barracks, he was convinced he was going to win the game, thus walling in comms should not be possible, on the flipside, his action should be considered stalling a game, as his team had lost, it would be unfair to drag the game on and let his team get pwned. A comm can not be walled in when hes in the safety of his base, once a commander starts driving around the map without cover hes fucked, same goes for tanks, when they are around their teammates they cant be walled, once they start going into dangerous areas they can be walled in, but then again itd be stupid for a commander to wall in a tank as they are rather cheap and can still fire and take down your structures. The only time its really viable to wall in a commander is when he lost his base and is suiciding or stalling the game by avoiding certain death.

It takes more skill than the walled in person may believe to drop the walls. for a commander to be able to drop walls it requires his teammates to be close by, building them also costs money and they are just as easy to take down as they were dropped, either way it takes teamwork to unblock or block something, and thats what should matter, teamwork and in this case Id have to disagree that its a bad thing to be able to block something.

Engineer dropped walls need timing, and he has a harsh limit of 10, I really dont see whats wrong with it, and I definitly know how annoying it is to be blocked in, but in the end it was my own fault for getting in that situation in the first place.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Jeeps should not be able to do all of this, otherwise we can't do races anymore :P.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

And it was me that walled you in, and I only put 2 rows of walls. :)

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Have walls start off lower? That way vehicles can drive on over them, provided they have some speed behind them.

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

you already can...

15. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Not with anything less than a light with 3phase going at full speed. Anything less and you will hit the wall and turn into a black hulk.

Im all for letting vehicles drive over unbuilt walls.

P.S:
    Walls are not built with full health... They start off with about 1/5 health and take a few seconds to build.

16. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Wasnt there a sudgestion in the past to alow heavy vehicls to be able to dammage building by running into them? Red Alert 2s Battle fortess comes to mind.:p

17. Aurora

I second this.

There were more, I'm certain, cause I remember taking down multiple walls, and there were like 2 left when I died. But let's keep the discussion on-topic.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Incorrect, walls have 25% health when first laid down.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

Krenzo don't cheat :P

ONTOPIC: maybe only let vehicles of a certain weight be able to crush walls?

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Heavies and CV's only? And make it give them a significant speed reduction, so that you can't just go racing through an entire base.