Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jcw87, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

good to go as far as i know.

im a poet and didnt even know it...

i make a rhyme every time...

ok, ill make the hurting stop.

2. MrCowthing

MrCowthing Member

I think it would be better to have a starting room then there will be a bunch of doors with names above them like "commanding" "Refineries" and all the other stuff. Then they can choose what they need/want to learn. You could also make rooms look very different like the commander room will be an open field with some hills. turret room will have turrets behind a small wall and have a target(as in a bunch of circles) at the end of a hall with blood stains/bullet holes on it.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I was half-way through writing a script too, but sort of gave up when I couldn't get game_text to work. I know that's fixed now, but I have bigger RL stuff going on.

My plan was to have different rooms open up as sections are completed, and then to have secret switches that you could use to bypass areas once they were completed (if you decided to restart later).

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

commanding is going to be tough to teach, because half of becoming a good commander is knowing to rush the middle at the start, get spawns made etc, and the other half is just experience telling you when and where to place and give orders.

A good chess player knows more than that the bishops move diagonally.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Ideally, making a commander tutorial map requires the ability to trigger entities when stuff is done, like, when somebody places an armory, a message plays that says "good, now hop out of the vehicle and build the armory".
    I'd prefer it if naming the entity something like "building_be_armory_placed" would play that message, and "building_be_armory_built" plays a "good, now use the ammo box to get ammo(z)" message.

6. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Or maybe a single entity that fires a different output for each building.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

There are entities which detect the presence of physics objects (used in HL2 where you put the can in the bin). Could this possibly be used to detect the presence of a certain building type within a volume?

I've never used this entity, I don't know its name, and I'm doubtful it'll work, but it's the best I can think of without further coding.

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

for commander just let them know what the buildings do, how to become com, and abilities com has, and GENERAL advice (build forward raxes/get resources ASAP). anything else they need to know they can figure out after playing a few games as infantry.

the point of a tutorial is to teach people the basics of the game, not to try and make everyone who plays a master. half the fun of playing games like this is learning/developing strategies.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Broccoli, i think you mean a trigger_multiple/once with the physics flag ticked and a filter by entity name.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Ah, then it doesn't work how I thought it did. Ignore me!

But yeah, it wouldn't be a disaster if tips were just given speaking in general terms.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I don't know if triggers are triggered by buildings, if they are, using a filter by classname would allow you to trigger other entities when a building is placed in the area.

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Due to a couple of people who can't seem to find the search button, I'm bumping this thread to inform everyone that I've recently made changes to the script again, trying to ignore what can't be done in the current Empires code.

http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=User:Jcw87

Feel free to make changes to it, just check your facts first. I've decided that I'm going to have my brother record the voice for the map, and someone else can do their own recordings as a replacement and post them here if they wish.