Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jcw87, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I've been working on this for a while now, but it's far from complete.

[​IMG]
    http://rebootilicious.rbcorner.com/emp_temp/emp_tutorial.rar

More work will be done on the map when I have a finalized script and some voice files to use. WIP script here.

I want constructive criticism here, none of the "OMFG THE MAP IS TOO BLAND IT SUX LOLOLOL!" crap.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

Hmm, could you explain it a bit? IE, what the rooms will be used for? I'm assuming since it looks like a linear path the idea is you move from room to room learning things, so will you have it set up where one, for example, shows you some structures with a message saying what each does, and then you move to the next and get the RTS view to build?

Just curious how you plan on doing this.

Edit: didn't see the download, I'll have a look at it

3. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

Okay, just looked at it. My advice would be to add text that comes up when you enter an area, explaining what the buildings are and what they do, and encourage people to try them, IE "go in the barracks and change your class" or "go in the vehicle factory and build a car".

Also, I think you should trim down the sizes of the rooms and add one more large one, with a comm vehicle for each time, and enough room to build a bit. With a resource node too. This would let players get the basic hang of it. Since you need both comm cars and killing them will end the game, perhaps put this after the flag (currently final) room so they can end the map in victory

4. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I told you it's incomplete. I have a script planned for it, go read it in the first post. If you look at the script, you will see that every room has an explanation of the buildings and stuff. The 3 lines you see in the map were ones I made before I even had a script. You will also see that the final room is the commander room, and I'll be sure to put in everything I think needs to be there. I'm looking for constructive criticism about the script I have or something about how the map looks. If you want me to add detail to the map, specify what kinds of detail and where.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

To know what he means you really need to take a look at the script he linked to: SCRIPT

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It's funny, Doobie had a tutorial map that is exactly like your idea now. Good luck with this one :D

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

I still think the tutorial should be split into several tutorials (meaning 4-5 maps)
    That way people can choose for themselves what they want to learn

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Since his script only talks about empires related stuff, and no regular tutorial things like moving and shooting, i think having it all in one isn't bad. I think people who want to use it will not mind having to learn about all specific empires aspects.

Still it's not too hard i guess to place all rooms next to eachother, instead of after eachother, so that the player can decide which room to enter at start, and go back to another tutorial in another room afterwards.

I think it's up to jcw, either way is good for me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  9. Silk

Silk Mapper

We've asked him, and valiant. I'm not sure who's gonna do it.

10. Valiant

Valiant Member

Robo-weedy is awesome.

11. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Lol. :p

Nah, it isn't true. I'm not going to be the other voice for the tutorial but Mr. Pregnant will do it gladly.

Take a look to his very promissing videos and his speaks:
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=mr+pregnant&sitesearch=

This shows his true talents:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...713&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7

:p

In other words, why not. I could try to speak something there but I'm quite perfectionist when it comes to recorded voice so I may have to re-record some lines multiple times.

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'll prolly do it for them unless someone in the community wants to step up n do it. i dont feel like re-installing my audio apps just to do these recordings but i may.

13. Valiant

Valiant Member

I said i'd do it, but I still don't know why I was asked...

14. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

I appologize, I was blind when I read this the first time because I missed both links. Sorry for that, it was 8am and I apparently needed sleep more than I thought. Now I look like a wanker :cool:

Anyway, I just read the script and played the map, and I think this is great. The script is good, and informative, and will deffinately help new players.

Good work.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol what happened to rtfm? oh well have fun workin on this.. you think it will be ready by friday?

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Noobs never listen when you tell them to RTFM, but most people don't have a problem with playing a tutorial. I want to get this finished ASAP, whether its before friday or not.

Anyways, Here is the current list of possible voice actors:

Bitchslap
    Mr. Weedy
    Valiant
    Microsoft Sam (nah, j/k)

If anyone else would like to do the voice for the tutorial post here. Maybe we might like a Buttery Lobster pirate voice? :D

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol my votes for weedy

18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I updated the script to address some newb issues I have seen on the 1.07 servers. Linky

I'm going to need some new entities for this map. For example, some way to award the player 10 rank points so that they can try out some of the skills. It may also be helpful to be able to highlight or otherwise draw attention to certain areas of the HUD. Some kind of output that is fired when the player does certain things, like open menus. Anything else that may be useful in a tutorial setting.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  19. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

love the script, but i think some of the information for the scout is inaccurate.

20. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Updated the script again with the information in this post.